Sathya Sai Baba passes away

nballa

What's your fascination with my relatives? Last time you wanted to have **** sex with my 55 year old mom - so which relative of mine has tickled your fancies this time round? :woot:
listen man, lets just ignore each other. my bad for calling you out on your shyte and i am sure you are just as heartbroken for having me banned, though it did do me a world of good, i learnt that i can live without posting every mental ejaculation anonymously on an obscure bulletin board. i am sure we can agree that neither of us can stand each other's existence so i ll let you do your thing, and i ll do my thing (atleast till the next menstrual cycle when i am flushed out of the system i.e. banned). stay frosty.

Guest Gunner

Let us go beyond religion and religious figures for a second and just consider the guy. If you look at his life the question to ask is if the sum total of his actions resulted in good or evil? Since he is dead we should just leave it at that.

Let us go beyond religion and religious figures for a second and just consider the guy. If you look at his life the question to ask is if the sum total of his actions resulted in good or evil? Since he is dead we should just leave it at that.
I think it would be fair to say that despite all his fraud, "claimed" magic, questions over private life etc, all in all he did benefit a large number of people through his charitable initiatives.

listen man' date=' lets just ignore each other. my bad for calling you out on your shyte and i am sure you are [b']just as heartbroken for having me banned, though it did do me a world of good, i learnt that i can live without posting every mental ejaculation anonymously on an obscure bulletin board. i am sure we can agree that neither of us can stand each other's existence so i ll let you do your thing, and i ll do my thing (atleast till the next menstrual cycle when i am flushed out of the system i.e. banned). stay frosty.
Having you banned? I would have done the honors myself if I wanted to. But if you go around abusing other posters' families someone will ban you again. I don't care much for someone jerking around at the prospect of sex with some online poster's relatives, but can let you know this much that once Rajiv sees your posts he will ban you permanently and no amount of my saying to let it slide is going to convince him otherwise. Then you'll have your entire life to live without mental ejaculations.

I can say with absolute and unequivocal certainty that he, and people like him, have had a debilitating impact on society. There’s nothing worse than slaving people with circus gimmicks, false promises and promised solace. You only weaken them further and make them more susceptible to suffering and hardship. For those who think Sai baba, or any other self-anointed Godmen like him enriched their life, they couldn’t be more wrong. What they don’t realize is that they have signed up for a lifetime of emotional and intellectual slavery and sacrificed the process of independent thought and investigation, FOREVER. When one Sai Baba comes and goes, there are dozens of them waiting in the pipeline, waiting to take over this already mentally conditioned populace. And Annatha, i dont know for how long you lived in T.N, but if you had been living there during the 90s, surely, the names like ‘Swami’ Premananda and more recently, ‘Swami’ Nityananda (yes, the dude who was caught getting a.. ermm.. fellatio, from a Tamizh Actress..) All of these guys were bonafide, unadulterated crooks. There was nothing even remotely Godly about these people. I can understand if these guys were simply in it for the money, but almost all of these specimens have a horrific record of pedophilia, rape, sexual abuse, even murder behind them. Where do you think people like these get their inspiration from?

Having you banned? I would have done the honors myself if I wanted to. But if you go around abusing other posters' families someone will ban you again. I don't care much for someone jerking around at the prospect of sex with some online poster's relatives, but can let you know this much that once Rajiv sees your posts he will ban you permanently and no amount of my saying to let it slide is going to convince him otherwise. Then you'll have your entire life to live without mental ejaculations.
ignoring you...

I can say with absolute and unequivocal certainty that he, and people like him, have had a debilitating impact on society. There’s nothing worse than slaving people with circus gimmicks, false promises and promised solace. You only weaken them further and make them more susceptible to suffering and hardship. For those who think Sai baba, or any other self-anointed Godmen like enriched their life, they couldn’t be more wrong. What they don’t realize is that they have signed up for a lifetime of emotional and intellectual slavery and sacrificed the process of independent thought and investigation, FOREVER. When one Sai Baba comes and goes, there are dozens of them waiting in the pipeline, waiting to take over this already mentally conditioned populace.
are you stating this in response to his claims to divinity or his social service programs. if it is his claims to divinity and his silly miracles that you are pointing to, i cannot but agree with you. one of the major drawbacks of a religious lifestyle is a misplaced, unpragmatic (is that even a word?) belief in the the impossible somehow becoming feasible. but question remains, leave aside the claims to divinity. juxtapose his social service with the possible psychological trauma (as you highllighted above) and the accusations of swindling, and where do you see the balance resting?

Sai Baba or anyone who claims to be a godman and lives a life of luxury is a FRAUD!!
Why? :) Luxury is not godly?
This guy would have my respect if he lived a spartan lifestyle. Preached without these trickeries and was a not a pedophile!
Hmm... I see that you think that a life without luxury is something to laud?

are you stating this in response to his claims to divinity or his social service programs. if it is his claims to divinity and his silly miracles that you are pointing to, i cannot but agree with you. one of the major drawbacks of a religious lifestyle is a misplaced, unpragmatic (is that even a word?) belief in the the impossible somehow becoming feasible. but question remains, leave aside the claims to divinity. juxtapose his social service with the possible psychological trauma (as you highllighted above) and the accusations of swindling, and where do you see the balance resting?
The word ‘balance’ doesn’t even remotely apply to this situation. A just society, a moral society, a rational society, has no place for these con-artistes. We don’t need self-anointed godmen to be happy or be moral or be self-satisfied. They’re in it simply for their own means and they create a culture of dangerous ignorance, which begins in harmless proportions, but has the potential to end in devastating consequences.

Why? :) Luxury is not godly?
luxury is a rather ambiguous word. i live in luxury in comparison to the drunk bum down the street. my dad lives in luxury compared to me, his dad lives in luxury compared to him... cant fault someone for choosing a few comforts of life.

The word ‘balance’ doesn’t even remotely apply to this situation. A just society, a moral society, a rational society, has no place for these con-artistes. We don’t need self-anointed godmen to be happy or be moral or be happy. They’re in it simply for their own means and they create a culture of dangerous ignorance, which begins in harmless proportions, but has the potential to end in devastating consequences.
And India is right now a Just, Moral and Rational society, isn't it??

The word ‘balance’ doesn’t even remotely apply to this situation. A just society, a moral society, a rational society, has no place for these con-artistes. We don’t need self-anointed godmen to be happy or be moral or be self-satisfied. They’re in it simply for their own means and they create a culture of dangerous ignorance, which begins in harmless proportions, but has the potential to end in devastating consequences.
agree, but does the rest apply to the individual in question here? and what of his social service? do we discard that? i can absolutely see what you have to say applied to someone such as pat robertson or jerry falwell but does it apply to someone whose' organization engaged in considerable social work? furthermore, would you be more amicable to an organization (not secular) run by a board with selected membership where none of the members claim any divine nature?

absolutely agree. but you cant judge all crime by its nature, you ought to make distinctions in the intensity and the modus operandi. one might and i emphasis this, 'might' have accumulated a personal fortune at the expense of millions of willing individuals who were not necessarily coerced into his message (though you can argue that coercion can be either tangible or intangible, so i would concede that to you too), whereas the other used brutal and insufferable cruelty on unwilling masses. now, would you adjudicate both of the above to an equally harsh punishment?
No, of course I would not, but since we are talking hypothetically (in that he is already dead and even if he is not he will never be punished legally), I would not cut him slack for his oringial sins by obfuscating that issue with the latter good deeds he did. Very similar to other crimes, they are looked at in isolation, not as a whole body of ones life's work. (OF course I find Saddam or any of their ilk more abominable for sure)

No, of course I would not, but since we are talking hypothetically (in that he is already dead and even if he is not he will never be punished legally), I would not cut him slack for his oringial sins by obfuscating that issue with the latter good deeds he did. Very similar to other crimes, they are looked at in isolation, not as a whole body of ones life's work. (OF course I find Saddam or any of their ilk more abominable for sure)
quite right. but that approach seems rather misplaced when the crimes in question are not as egregious as homicide or rape. or is he accused of those too?

agree, but does the rest apply to the individual in question here? and what of his social service? do we discard that? i can absolutely see what you have to say applied to someone such as pat robertson or jerry falwell but does it apply to someone whose' organization engaged in considerable social work? furthermore, would you be more amicable to an organization (not secular) run by a board with selected membership where none of the members claim any divine nature?
Whether he, or any other members of his organization claimed divinity or not makes no difference to the ultimate outcome of this well-orchestrated money spinning operation – they still duped people and that is the end of that. I don’t understand your line of argument at all. You’re picking and choosing isolated acts of good nature that his organization performed and using that as a defense mechanism against all of the combined atrocities. Do you know that Hamas is the single biggest donor of charity in the West bank and Gaza strip? And that during the Kashmir earthquake, the mujahideen delivered more relief to the people than the Pakistani army did? Does all of this simply mask the otherwise ghastly nature of these outfits?