Indianisms That Really Annoy You

Dhondy

Sriram, it's a way for old geezers to perv on young girls their daughters' age. Age is often used as a cover for chatting up people. This may not be a conscious thing, hence the attempt to sanitize it by saying, "You look like my daughter, etc".
I undestand what you are saying Dhondy.. Guess i have to grow up more to get the hang of some things.. Still. what has Indianism got to do with it ? Assuming his intentions were skewed , itd got nothing with him being Indian.. :regular_smile:

Not desi-isms but similar story to Ravi: Well my last trip to India, on the return flight, i was seated to this desi chick going to Calgary for studies and just out of highschool. Nothing happened in the first leg of the flight- the plane left at 11pm, we all had dinner and promptly fell asleep. We were flying China Airlines to Taipei and then on to Vancouver, with a 7 hour stop-over in Taipei airport. I've done this route before ( except with SA through Seoul-Singapore) so i knew what was up. By the time we landed, changed terminals & went to the proper waiting area, i had struck up a little convo with the chick...the 'hi's and 'hello's, basic intro etc etc. Few minutes after 'settling down' at the new terminal, i found she'd returned from the currency exchange desk with a pear-shaped face. The polite lad that i am, i enquired whats up- turns out that her dad gave her 500-600 Renmin ( mainland China currency). Then she proceeded to tell me that Taiwan used 'The New Taiwan Dollar' as its currency, not the Renmin and turns out that the Taiwanese money exchanges don't take it too politely when you show up with 'commie currency'. Apparently they will change all currencies, even 50+ from Africa but they wont touch Commie China's money. I had an inward chuckle- i knew what was going on- i bet her dad was fooled into thinking she'd be passing through Chinese territorry, especially since the flight was called 'China Airlines' ( Taiwanese call themselves china officially apparently and her dad probably never heard of taiwan). Either way it didnt affect me because my bank balance is in Canadian dollars...which Taiwan exchanges. Poor lass now has no money to eat after a 8 hour flight, no money to do anything. I didnt wanna do anything (not my problem!) but after 30 minutes i caved....she was pretty overwhelmed with my gesture ( i just went for a stroll and came back with 500 TD ( about 20 bucks canadian)..gave it to her and told her to go get something to eat & drink. Next leg of flight was Taipei-Vancouver, 12.5 hrs straight. Through that flight i got to know pretty much her entire 'janam kahani'...scored her phone number etc etc...turn out she's a sardarni ( dad = banta singh ?! lol) who has uncle & aunt in Vancouver with whom she'd be staying for a few days before flying to CGY. Well...we landed in Vancouver, cleared custom, collected our bags ( i always have to 'explain' that my carrot halwa from grandma is not some anthrax experiment) and came to the arrivals lounge.. her uncle & aunt were there and she basically introduced me in super-glowing terms ( never been called a maha-insaan by someone i'd met less than 24 hrs ago :confused_smile:). Well..i sheepishly said hello....but her uncle & aunt basically looked at me with the coldest possible stare....as if i helped her to get into her pants ! no thanks, no nothing...just a curt nod and then back to chatting with neice..moment she finished my basic intro, its like i didnt exist anymore...she just kept chatting with her cousin sis. well i had had enough of getting cold shoulder from about 5-6 sardars/sardarnis present...so i walked off, took a cab, came home and went to sleep. Thats desis for you!

A quiet, lovely Sunday afternoon ... ... the phone rings ... ------------------------------------------------ Zooter: Hello. Caller: Aa kon?? (gujju to English translation: Who's this?) Zooter: (Zoot gives name). May I know who's spea- Caller: Papaa-no phhon number huu che?? (What's your father's phone number?) Zooter: blah blah blah. blah-blah. blah-blah. Caller: Huu kareche aave? (What are you doing now?) Zooter: Well, (click)

my pet peeve is meeting this particualr genre of desis who have been abroad for a few decades, have no clue what's going on back there and proceed to talk to me as if i just escaped from a leper colony. last time, it happened in transit at KC airport, i was frazzled with work shyte and apna team ka poor showing (which means that if i know that--i am completely sleep-deprived). I am sitting with my Pod, and trying to write some stuff in my black notebook. this guy says, "hello, India se hai kya??" "Yeah," and proceed to talk in malayalam to him. "when did you come here" "ettu varsham aayee, saar. ninde tala mottayaa..." (eight yrs, sir. u are frikking bald.) "you dont speak english?" "korachhu koracchu ariyaam saar. ninde tandaa naariyaa. nee paramanaariyaa." (a little, little, sir. yr papa stinks. and u stink even worse.) so then he proceeds to shake his head and say, "offo! these bloody immigrants!!!" at which point, i lost it, and it ended ugly, with airport security needing to be called. i DARE any desi to talk to me in disparaging tones after that. like sehwag said, "phaad ke rakh doonga..."

"Yeah," and proceed to talk in malayalam to him. "when did you come here" "ettu varsham aayee, saar. ninde tala mottayaa..." (eight yrs, sir. u are frikking bald.) "you dont speak english?" "korachhu koracchu ariyaam saar. ninde tandaa naariyaa. nee paramanaariyaa." (a little, little, sir. yr papa stinks. and u stink even worse.)
:hysterical::hysterical:

caller calls and asks:kaun bolta hai... R:kisse baat karna hai caller: tum kaun bolta hai.. R:tum bolo kisse baat karna hai.... caller: arre baba tumhara naam kya hai.... R: Phone tum ne kiya ke maine kiya..tum bolo....khali peeli ladies ka naam poochta hai.... caller to someone:wrong number lagta hai ...koi paagal hai lagta hai....

Yeah I had couple of such bad experiences with cunning attitude of Indian people to exchange the seats... boy I was ashamed that I did a favor to him for he being indian. Well... all in all nothing new. It was terrible in India. Its better here. Back in india there were dime a dozen I would meet everyday.

never met any indian in the US who was like how you guys have described here. all mind their own business, if anything they tend to avoid stranger indians. and the ones i know well are about as well behaved as you would expect.

i would have to agree with Yoda there.... indians, in general, have been the most dignified race in the States tht i have seen... i havent seen any iof wat u guys have mentioned.... except in some cases, some much older indians(visiting their kids) have a habit of asking about ur background and such, which i dont mind, given their age and their infamiliarity to the new country.... otherwise, people mind their own business and are generally very helpful.... i have an anecdote of a very helpful indian, wen i was visiting paris, for a later day...

Guest dada_rocks
never met any indian in the US who was like how you guys have described here. all mind their own business' date=' if anything they tend to avoid stranger indians. and the ones i know well are about as well behaved as you would expect.[/quote'] Why did u do this.....I wanted to hear some more fiction..... :hysterical:

Why did u do this.....I wanted to hear some more fiction..... :hysterical:
Calling everyone else but yourself a liar is a classic trend of a megalomaniac. As i said to you before, go to a psychiatrist and take your saffron bridage with you- you clearly have serious mental 'issues'. You obviously are so socially inept that people of every race, creed etc. avoid you at a glance. Deal with that- no reason to call everyone here liars. :hysterical::hysterical: