Indianisms That Really Annoy You

Dhondy

We have all met our compatriots- on flights, in hotels, social gatherings, airports and conferences. Most are very nice, but there is a breed, the nouveau rich, perhaps recently immigrated, that sometimes really rubs me up the wrong way. Here is a sample conversation. I will call this specimen, "Dying to look up your ass" or DD for short. DD: Hello, myself, Doctor Debashis Dandaroy. ( just hate people who call them "Myself" and introduce themselves as Doctor so & so. As if it matters!) Dhondy: Hi, I Am Dhondy DD: Just Dhondy? What is your title? Dhondy: You mean surname? Dhondy is my surname. DD: Oh! (Waits for me to say something. I don't). DD: Myself living in Philadelphia at present. Dhondy: Great. DD: And you? Dhondy: Oh, I just live in the UK. DD: Oh...you had to take US visa? Dhondy: Yeah. DD: Me green card holder for last three years. Dhondy: Fantastic DD: So what do you do? Dhondy: Oh, I just look after sick people. DD: Oh, a male nurse? Dhondy: Yeah, something like that. DD: I am working as resident at Pennsylvania Veterans'. Final year in Internal Medicine. Dhondy: Wow! DD: It was very tough to get in. I passed USMLE parts I, II and III, and beat many local candidates on the way. Dhondy: Marvellous...when's the flight due? DD: What does your wife do? Dhondy: Errr my wife? She looks after me. DD: Oh, a housewife? Dhondy: Yeah, when she is at home, yeah. DD: My wife is an attending at St James' Centre. Paediatrician. Dhondy: That's good....is that our announcement? DD: Do you rent or own? Dhondy: (Had enough by now) . Errr, we just live in the street and scavenge off the council. And now I really must go. That's my flight.

:hysterical:..What a typical conversation !!! Have seen that so many times before ! The one that really annoys me about Indians ( specifically students) is how they tend to suck-up on their professors. I have seen students literally falling over each other to impress a professor , doing more work than they are supposed to and ultimately getting short-changed by the professor himself ! And some of the Indian professors themselves are so cunning. Knowing the Indian mentality , they deliberately hire Indian research/teaching assitants for half the pay and make them do double the work. I have not SINGLE american student work for free for ANY professor , but you have a galore of Indian students working for free for so many professors..

You forgot the most common question asked, Dhondy : " How much do you make/koto baaton paan aapni ?" I hate it when random people ask how much i make..wtf...why do they care ?
They are interested in seeing how rich you are compared to them. Indians by and large, have this loser-like inferiority complex. They will happily recant the stories of how they got their worthless credentials to anyone who will listen.

We have all met our compatriots- on flights, in hotels, social gatherings, airports and conferences. Most are very nice, but there is a breed, the nouveau rich, perhaps recently immigrated, that sometimes really rubs me up the wrong way. Here is a sample conversation. I will call this specimen, "Dying to look up your ass" or DD for short. DD: Hello, myself, Doctor Debashis Dandaroy. ( just hate people who call them "Myself" and introduce themselves as Doctor so & so. As if it matters!) Dhondy: Hi, I Am Dhondy DD: Just Dhondy? What is your title? Dhondy: You mean surname? Dhondy is my surname. DD: Oh! (Waits for me to say something. I don't). DD: Myself living in Philadelphia at present. Dhondy: Great. DD: And you? Dhondy: Oh, I just live in the UK. DD: Oh...you had to take US visa? Dhondy: Yeah. DD: Me green card holder for last three years. Dhondy: Fantastic DD: So what do you do? Dhondy: Oh, I just look after sick people. DD: Oh, a male nurse? Dhondy: Yeah, something like that. DD: I am working as resident at Pennsylvania Veterans'. Final year in Internal Medicine. Dhondy: Wow! DD: It was very tough to get in. I passed USMLE parts I, II and III, and beat many local candidates on the way. Dhondy: Marvellous...when's the flight due? DD: What does your wife do? Dhondy: Errr my wife? She looks after me. DD: Oh, a housewife? Dhondy: Yeah, when she is at home, yeah. DD: My wife is an attending at St James' Centre. Paediatrician. Dhondy: That's good....is that our announcement? DD: Do you rent or own? Dhondy: (Had enough by now) . Errr, we just live in the street and scavenge off the council. And now I really must go. That's my flight.
I've met some Indians who fit that description. :laugh: My pet hate is Indians putting on American/English accents within a month of arriving in those countries! Their grammar might be $hite but accent has to sound as non-Indian as possible. And these people are disappointed when they hear my Indian accent. "What? 3 years outside India and still Indian accent? Not good" :bird:

My pet peeve starts right from the time an unknown Indian looks at me and smile. No I am no anti-social but I did not smile at Indians in India and I have never quite understood why I should smile when I am abroad. Anyway here is how a typical conversation goes with an unknown Indian(UI). UI: Hi. Indian? Me: Yes UI: Nice to meet you. I am so and so. Me: I am so and so. Nice to meet you too. UI: Where from? Me: Phoenix. UI: Oh no no I mean in India? Me: Bihar. (At this time the response of UI depends on where he is from. If he is from one of the Southern States his face will go pale for some unexplained reasons, if he is from one of the Northern states the response is a more - "Ah Lalooji hain aap". Yep Bihar has not produced anything other than Laloo of course) UI: I am from so and so. By the way I have a lot of relatives in Phoenix. (A unique Indian characteristic. Reminds me of the time when I would travel by train and the person sitting on the opposite birth would always have some "relative" in my hometown..and was even asked if I knew them..yeah I do the census for my hometown!) UI: So anyway what do you do? Me: I work with databases. UI: Oh a computer guy. Me too. Are you on work visa, GC or citizenship? (At this time I choose to avoid the answering the question. For one it is none of his damn business for other I have seen a unique kind of class society amongst Indians. If you have a visa he will have a GC, if you have a GC he has a citizenship, if you have citinzenship he was born and raised here) Me: Uh great. So you like being in US I suppose? UI: Oh yes. I love it here, good money, great social life if you know what I mean. India is so chaotic man, last time I went in there I fell sick just by drinking watre. (At this I have to stop myself from hitting him in the nuts. Why did you have to start the conversation with "Indian" if you so dislike India? As for social life you would not be getting any from a tranny even if you paid for it.) Me: Yeah sure. Anything you say. Listen I better get going. Was nice meeting you. UI: Yeah sure. Email me at so and so @hotmail.com(calls aloud so hard everyone around me hears it. Of course no one takes it down..least of all me) xxx

I know this is not totally related to the above topic. But i am reminded of one incident. My room-mate's ex colleague in India had come to the US some years before. She , along with her husband ( who also works here) had bought a new house. They had called us for the "Grahapravesam" as it is called. They proudly showed us the entire house, telling how big it was , how spacious and luxurious it was., the privte home theatre room , the manicured lawns et al ! It was evident that they werent flaunting , but just plain proud that they owned such a beautiful house. The strange fact is , they were only 5 of us for the entire ceremony. The house itself looked so desolate ! I am pretty much sure they dont get any visitors even otherwise. Whats the point in owning so much wealth , when there is no one to enjoy it with !

The most annoying trait according to me is when NRI's or even people living for a couple months abroad go back to India and start dissing everything in India and comparing it to US or Europe.Westerners visiting India complain way less than the westernised Indians do!

Guest dada_rocks

Heck u can very easily avoid this kind. I beware those who pkeep dropping those qualifiers in a very subtle manner there is no way out of that conversation.:cantstop: And yes if u are pi$$ed off by indians status-anxiety wait till u bump into pakistani lord snooties.. Every sucker I have met so far happens to be some Military general's son lives in clifton (apparently it is nariman point of karachi) and is either doctor or in pre-med.. Are hazamat banane wali pakistani aunti bhi suna gai hamen prawachan to bankiyon ki to chhoro:giggle:

Guest dada_rocks
My pet peeve starts right from the time an unknown Indian looks at me and smile. No I am no anti-social but I did not smile at Indians in India and I have never quite understood why I should smile when I am abroad. Anyway here is how a typical conversation goes with an unknown Indian(UI). UI: Hi. Indian? Me: Yes UI: Nice to meet you. I am so and so. Me: I am so and so. Nice to meet you too. UI: Where from? Me: Phoenix. UI: Oh no no I mean in India? Me: Bihar. (At this time the response of UI depends on where he is from. If he is from one of the Southern States his face will go pale for some unexplained reasons, if he is from one of the Northern states the response is a more - "Ah Lalooji hain aap". Yep Bihar has not produced anything other than Laloo of course) UI: I am from so and so. By the way I have a lot of relatives in Phoenix. (A unique Indian characteristic. Reminds me of the time when I would travel by train and the person sitting on the opposite birth would always have some "relative" in my hometown..and was even asked if I knew them..yeah I do the census for my hometown!) UI: So anyway what do you do? Me: I work with databases. UI: Oh a computer guy. Me too. Are you on work visa, GC or citizenship? (At this time I choose to avoid the answering the question. For one it is none of his damn business for other I have seen a unique kind of class society amongst Indians. If you have a visa he will have a GC, if you have a GC he has a citizenship, if you have citinzenship he was born and raised here) Me: Uh great. So you like being in US I suppose? UI: Oh yes. I love it here, good money, great social life if you know what I mean. India is so chaotic man, last time I went in there I fell sick just by drinking watre. (At this I have to stop myself from hitting him in the nuts. Why did you have to start the conversation with "Indian" if you so dislike India? As for social life you would not be getting any from a tranny even if you paid for it.) Me: Yeah sure. Anything you say. Listen I better get going. Was nice meeting you. UI: Yeah sure. Email me at so and so @hotmail.com(calls aloud so hard everyone around me hears it. Of course no one takes it down..least of all me) xxx
Hamne apne one of the best friend ke baap se panga le liya yahan.. wo namakool insaan ke paas ak bhi shabd nahin tha nice india ke bare mien kahen ko ham kuchh din dekhate dehate ak din baras pare.... had hoti hai kisi bhi chiz ki

some of those baniya, kanjoos ppl from India asking for discount @ counter if they see the counter person is Indian.. piiche poori line lagi hai log waiting for their turn and these ppl asking for discount.. once i used to work in a photo store... partime job.. these few guju ppl and baniya ppl used to come and ask "can u give me passport picture for 9 dollars instead of 10" ek dollar mein kya duniya badal jayegi inki???

I used to work in the comp lab. There was this one Indian guy who would come and do thousand page prints outs and sell them to some one else. Eventually he was banned from every single room with a printer in the univ. Indianisms i hate People randomly coming and talking to you even when you have the "get the fark outta my face"look. I have my ipod on, i am reading a book, i am doing everything i can possibly do to say that i dont wanna talk to anyone. And yet someppl when they see a tinge of brown on someone else,they need to get their entire life story. I met this pakistani fella once thro a friend and we were gonna play cricket. The 1st question he asked me was ,not how i was doing, not whether i am good at cricket but "So how much do you make". Another annoying indianism. talking to me in Hindi. Seriously, i couldnt care a flying **** about where he is from or which language he wanna talk in, but most ppl assume that you would know hindi just cos you are from india.

This one time I was at the Post Office and this random uncle approaches me when I'm leaving and tells me I look just like his daughter' date=' what do I do for a living, etc etc...wtf lol[/quote'] frankly, i dont see whats wrong there to be honest..

Sriram, it's a way for old geezers to perv on young girls their daughters' age. Age is often used as a cover for chatting up people. This may not be a conscious thing, hence the attempt to sanitize it by saying, "You look like my daughter, etc".

I can't say there is anything Indianism that annoys me in particular. Strange instances the ones mentioned above. I've never had such incidents but I have a couple of strange ones to share when I visited India last year. While on flight from Singapore to India last year there was this 18-19 year old Indian student that asked me if I could move to the next seat. There were about 20+ students of similar age that were on that flight I think, probably a uni tour or something. I was surprised he asked me that considering the flight looked pretty full. I being a nice fella obliged with him only to see a young girl was supposed to be sitting in my next seat to the left. That lad was pretty much trying to catch up with this girl asking me to move to the next seat. Then came an elderly lady and told me I was sitting in her allotted seat. I looked at this lad and he was busy talking to the girl. The girl wasn't responding to him I thought but hey it wasn't my business. I asked this lad his seat number and I was told he was at the rear end of the flight. Despite my laptop and belongings was at the cabin over head my original seat I went all the way to the rear end of the flight to let this lad sort out his business with the girl. At the rear end there were several teen aged girls and boys seated. I had to squeeze myself into a seat in the middle tier with a teen Indian boy to my right and a teen Indian girl to my left. The boy on the right asked if I could move to his seat so that he could sit to the girl next to me. This freaking moving around started to annoy me but yet again I obliged. I settled down eventually and wanted to pretend taking a nap prior anyone could ask me to move again but just then someone tapped me on my shoulder and said "Excuse me Sir". That was the Air hostess asking me my seat number. I had to explain to her what had transpired. She politely asked me to move back to my original seat. I had to walk all the way back and the air hostess asked the lad sitting in my original seat to move back to his seat. Now the lad was pretty much pleading the air hostess and was giving me a cold stare as if I buggered his time with his girl friend. The air hostess wouldn't heed to none of his requests and he had no other option than to head back to his original seat. I shrugged my shoulders and said "Sorry mate, I did my best". He didn't bother thanking me or said no worries but just gave me a cold stare and walked away briskly. The Air hostess apologized with me for the mess and left. Now I had to sit between a teen aged girl and an elderly lady. They both smiled at me and I thought I was in the good company at last. I knew neither will be striking conversation with me as one was about 10 years younger than me and the other about 30 years older than me. Well I under estimated the ladies :cry_smile: The girl firstly apologized for all the trouble I had to go through because of her and gently mentioned she had requested the air hostess to have that lad removed from her next seat :egg: I thought WTF??? She could have saved me some walking up and down the flight if she had asked that lad to take a hike in the first place. For the next four hours I had had to listen to the girl's version of why she had ousted that lad from the seat. By the end of the air trip I could pretty much tell her favorite colour, car, city, her tour to Singapore/Malaysia, a bit about her father, mother, granny, her brother, her schooling yada yada yada.... If you thought that was it, you are mistaken. The other lady that was about 30+ years or older to me to my right had started conversing with me too. By the end of the trip I had pretty much came to know her son's in US of A, her daughter in law came hailed Mysore, the diaper her grand son wore and the likes. .... :wink_smile: There are few more funny incidences I was party to on my last trip to India but don't have time to pen that down now. I'll resume a little later.