Irani Trophy Discussion thread - Rajasthan v/s Rest of India - October 1-5th

saneindian

Umesh has exceeded my expectations based on what I saw of him earlier , pretty improved , seems to bowl a bit with brains,Varun do not judge him from this game, I have seen him bowl in couple of one day and ranji games before this, he was mighty impressive, made the batsmen look and jump like school boys, HIS AVERAGE SPEED WAS 140 PLUS AND REACHED 147 PLUS QUITE A FEW TIMES IN THOSE GAMES AND BOWLED WITH VENOM.I was not able to catch up much on Rahul's bowling , HOW DID HE BOWL OVERALL.

I do not think that he is ready for international cricket. Or rather, I do not think he is sufficiently proven. Someone at 140kph should clean up the Plate division, even on slow tracks if they are skillful. I think he can do that this year and then deserves the Test call up.
You think teams in plate division are too poor, but they are not as poor as you think. This year Vidarbha reached to semi final of Vijay Hazaare trophy and Jharkhand won it by beating an elite team, Gujarat. They also had beaten Mumbai in between. You know what is the average of Ryan Harris in first class cricket. It is 30 and is averaging 20 in international cricket right now. I tell you one thing on a flat surface there is not much difference between a good batsman and a not so good batsman because conditions don't pose any challenge. That is why batsman's quality is always judged in seaming condition where only good technical batsman will do well. It is the case in India, here even likes of Harbhajan can hit test centuries on these pitches, so you can see it is not easy bowling and getting heaps of wickets here. Bowlers mainly depend on bowled or LBW dismissals because edged deliveries don't carry behind the stumps or to close-in fielders because no bounce and slowness of the track. Even in this Irani match, Yadav could easily have 5-wickets by now Akash Chopra got lucky as short leg was standing too far. Umpire did not give a straightforward caught behind on him and then Parthiv Patel dropped an easy catch. I believe there are no ready made test players come out from domestic cricket. They play test and then they become test standards. In terms of fast bowler, there are so many examples. Dale Steyn is one who started ordinarily but as he played more, he improved now is the best bowler. If they will continue to play FC matches on these dead tracks in India, they will be dusted very soon or become another trundler.

Though aaron is not in full form n rhythm and is slower than what he shud be but still he is way better than VK and even PK for me....I wud pick Varun ahead of PK and VK and give him the new ball and also give him the Licence to Kill most of the time...he has shown signs of international class written all over him....these trundlers PK VK are like some bowlers bowling at AZAAD maidam. I bet I would be game to pad up and face their music. They r not international claSs