NKP Salve Challenger Trophy, 2011 : Teams announced (Oct10-13)

saneindian

Which phhhassst balling demons would you have picked?
In the history of Indian cricket post the 2nd World War we have found only 2 bowlers who have bowled fast spells for multiple seasons in their career-- Srinath and Ishant. So, I am not really expecting genuine fast bowlers to come out of the selectors' a$*es. But. in the last 10 years or so, Indian selectors had been trying to promote fast-medium bowlers who can bowl between 130k to 142k. We have found quite a few of them in Zaheer, Nehra, Agarkar, Balaji, Munaf, VRV, Sreesanth, RPissing, Mithun etc. Their presence had been partially instrumental in India's win % going up abroad and culminating in us becoming the No. 1 test team in the world. This had been a significant change from the endless list of trundlers of yesteryears, bowling, it seems, between 115k to 129k. The Binnys, Madans, Sandhus, Chetans, Prabhakars and then Dodda Ganesh, Mhambrey, Mohanty etc. etc. were hopefully a thing of the past. None of them have managed even 100 wickets in their entire test careers. Suddenly we are seeing the 120k bowlers making a comeback with gusto and in numbers, in the last one year or so. For the first time in 10 years we have 3 trundlers in the Indian team and 10 trundlers in the Challergers. This going back to the multiple trundler theme, and not demarcating between Fast-medium bowlers and medium pacers, is worrying to me. Guys like Abu Nechim, Mohammad Shami Ahmed, Srikanth Wagh, Sudip Tyagi are a few names that come to mind for Challengers selection. I am sure there are a couple of others in the domestic circuit who are reasonably good.

I am particularly very impressed with Iqbal Abdulla everytime you see him, he looks to have learned new things , his bowling variations, some spin alot some not too much, chinaman,angles used,also seems like a good bat, def needs to play one dayers soon,Piyush Chawla did give a timely reminder to the selectors, Umesh BOWLING IN 90'S , he should be persisted with , good action , high arm whippy, seam , once he gains some experience to stop the flow of runs initially he can be a good addition in one dayers , def should be in test squad.

I am particularly very impressed with Iqbal Abdulla everytime you see him' date=' he looks to have learned new things , his bowling variations, some spin alot some not too much, [b']chinaman,angles used,also seems like a good bat, def needs to play one dayers soon,Piyush Chawla did give a timely reminder to the selectors, Umesh BOWLING IN 90'S , he should be persisted with , good action , high arm whippy, seam , once he gains some experience to stop the flow of runs initially he can be a good addition in one dayers , def should be in test squad.
Does he actually bowl chinaman or is it the left arm orthodox spinner's doosra ?

One Shud be a Exceptional Trundler to become International bowler ..if u guys notice in international teams , most have no trundlers who are in team only as a Bowler..I mean no team picks trundler as a bowler ...yes there are some who pick some batsmen who are trundlers or pick some trundlers who can Bat ...the aim is that the Country selectors are grooming an All rounder.

One Shud be a Exceptional Trundler to become International bowler ..if u guys notice in international teams ' date=' most have no trundlers who are in team only as a Bowler..I mean no team picks trundler as a bowler ...yes there are some who pick some batsmen who are trundlers or pick some trundlers who can Bat ...the aim is that the Country selectors are grooming an All rounder.[/quote'] History of game has very few medium pacers who became successful bowlers. Most of the bowlers are fast medium. Another thing to note is that fast bowlers rarely fail at international level. Medium pacers - Few successful bowlers Fast medium - mix of successful and unsuccessful bowlers Fast bowlers - mostly successful.