Elephant in the room

cowboysfan

To know the difference b/w an avg of 100 and 100 100s, you need to know what constitutes as an avg .... I think Bradman's avg is quoted to show that he is in the league of his own. I hope you know that 100 100s is not the same as an avg of 100 :winky: I would have been happy if Sachin had retired after the WC. And every team benefits from having great players, the question is have we not learned from Sachin after having him in the side for 2 decades. If we still need to keep on learning from him, along with milking him, then something is wrong with our structure I am a Sachin fan and see that he has the potential to show the Indians a direction. When most of the nation is wrongly obsessed with numbers (because for some years, ppl only saw Ind as a world beater through Sachin's numbers), it would go a long way if Sachin retires before getting his 100th 100. That wouild pass a message to the numbers obsessed culture to look beyond numbers in a team sport. IMO, delivering this message is far more important than just playing on and on. If he gets 100th 100 the obsession with numbers will only gain more strength, thus providing diminishing returns in the long run .... As a role model, I wanted Sachin to set an example and open our obsessed eyes When I write against Sachin, I am writing against this obsession and fanatism (a sort of a mental disorder many dillusional Indians suffer from), which does more harm than good
Among all the uncertainties in this world - now I am 100% certain that you know zilch about passion, and performing at highest level, and how to get and stay there.
If SRT retires after 100th 100 ( or some other magical number) - I would be most disappointed - as it would prove people like you were right - to some extent. I wish, he plays as long as he keeps giving 100%, whether it is blocking some youngster's place - I am least bothered about.
It is not about who is right or wrong but asking your own self what the fact is .... We all know deep down that to some extent, Sachin is obsessed about numbers And we know this because to some extent we did play a role in putting that into his mind (Gavaskar for example)
Among all the uncertainties in this world - now I am 100% certain that you know zilch about passion' date=' and performing at highest level, and how to get and stay there.[/quote'] I am sure, you know zilch about what that post meant .... will not waste more time on clarifying that .... some one's reading comprehension skills needs improvement :winky:
Unfortunately' date=' folks have seen him take singles once he got into 80s to get to a 100 in ODIs .... seen him getting bogged down to get a double when the team wanted to declare (194* against Pak) .... ....[/quote'] 1) His conversion from 80 to 100 is amongst the fastest in the game. USually when he reaches the landmark, its between the 33 to 38 overs so boundaries are anyways scarce unless its a powerplay 2) If he was playing fast to get a landmark, wouldnt it still be selfish? He was just playing the balls for merit, just like he was before he came close to double. BTW in test he has the highest number of 100s brought with a 6.
If SRT retires after 100th 100 ( or some other magical number) - I would be most disappointed - as it would prove people like you were right - to some extent. I wish, he plays as long as he keeps giving 100%, whether it is blocking some youngster's place - I am least bothered about.
I don't think this will happen. However, what i could see happening is Sachin retiring not long after hitting 50 ODI hundreds (unless he genuinely believes he could play for India in 2015).
1) His conversion from 80 to 100 is amongst the fastest in the game. USually when he reaches the landmark, its between the 33 to 38 overs so boundaries are anyways scarce unless its a powerplay 2) If he was playing fast to get a landmark, wouldnt it still be selfish? He was just playing the balls for merit, just like he was before he came close to double. BTW in test he has the highest number of 100s brought with a 6.
Sure, if that's what floats your boat ....

Excerpts from an interview when Sachin was approaching 50th test hundred.. Q: Are you conscious of being just one short of 50 Test hundreds? Sachin: How can it be otherwise when everybody is only talking about the 50th hundred... Wherever I go, thatÃÔ the sole topic... I donÃÕ like it, but what to do? As I see it, thereÃÔ more to cricket than 50 Test hundreds... As you know, I believe in destiny... Whatever is to happen, will.

Yep' date=' facts and data floats my boat, not assumptions by an already obsessed person. Facts are neither my opinion nor yours, they are cold truth[/quote'] I don't agree with the facts you presented with and it doesn't even reflect what you are trying to show .... for me it's another case of posting numbers w/o understanding them. I have no intention on going further as people who know what's being talked about know what's implied :--D
To know the difference b/w an avg of 100 and 100 100s' date=' you need to know what constitutes as an avg .... I think Bradman's avg is quoted to show that he is in the league of his own. I hope you know that 100 100s is not the same as an avg of 100 :winky:[/quote'] Its still an individual's number quoted over team results. why is that fair. Shouldnt one be quoting win ratio during Bradman's time and not one person's average? what is this aussie(and your) obsession with numbers? Isnt this double standards? Why should Sachin be caring about all that? He is glad that he is still winning matches for us(last test). He will continue till he is useful, he will step aside when he is not Sachin is a cricketer, not a politician. He didnt ask you to look up to him and didnt want to be a role model. His primary job is to play cricket. Anything apart from that like his conduct outside cricket, being a role model (which he is very good at) is secondary. His retiring just to prove a silly point would be a dis-service to a team which still needs him. The numbers obsessed culture has not prevented us from becoming no 1 and winning the world cup. Well, I have always seen that positive fanatism and obsession is much better than hate for a person. Its the later which does harm to one's well being. The former only inspires people. If you check the number of people in India in all fields and in other countries who have been positively inspired by Sachin, you will be surprised. Sure the constant harping of fans at the expense of other players can get one one's nerves, but then one can always avoid such threads
I don't agree with the facts you presented with and it doesn't even reflect what you are trying to show .... for me it's another case of posting numbers w/o understanding them. I have no intention on going further as people who know what's being talked about know what's implied :--D
What part of his being the fastest between 80 and 100 in the world is wrong? It just provces that you were caught lying again! If no other batsman can achieve a faster rate, doesnt it mean Sachin is doing something right? You have no intention of going further as you have been caught with your pants down and ignoring and pretending you have something up your sleeve is the only means of saving-face
What part of his being the fastest between 80 and 100 in the world is wrong? It just provces that you were caught lying again! If no other batsman can achieve a faster rate, doesnt it mean Sachin is doing something right? You have no intention of going further as you have been caught with your pants down and ignoring and pretending you have something up your sleeve is the only means of saving-face
OK, so Sachin never slowed down and took singles to get to his 100 from 80s .... the numbers that you presented (no valid source too) show that Sachin is justified to take singles and get bogged down once he got into 80s on many occassions Hitting a 6 to get to a 100 in tests shows you are not obsessed with numbers and playing overs after overs when the captain wanted to declare only shows he was playing the balls on merit when the captain could have declared some time ago if he were not in the 190s And now I have been accused of lying :giggle: ..... Yes, Sir, I agree that what you presented shows that I am lying and you are saying nothing but the truth :P

@MTC. "lying" is when someone deliberately distorts/mis-presents the facts - for whatever reasons. However, it does not seem to be the case here - he is just being ignorant, nothing more - but can be even worse condition (like his physiological limitations of understanding and using facts/figures.)