Cristiano Ronaldo and Bipasha Basu

kumble_rocks

Rajan - Iqbal Kalamdaas/Lambu Motu/Daddyjee(all used to appear in Lotpot) Kapeesh(Bal Bharti) Crook Bond Mama Bhanja Bahadur(thought Bela was a maal even back then :lmao: ) Chacha Chaudhary Biloo Pinki (the last three were Pran the cartoonist creation) Shreematiji(Sarita/Manorama) Dhabooji(Dharamyug) Raman(another Pran creation...hated him with a passion) Fauladi Singh Ram Rahim(Manoj Comics competitor to Diamond comics Rajan iqbal) Hawaldaar Bahadur
9/15 isn't bad.

Lurker...yeh sab naam kahan se aaye....
Radhika they were all very popular characters. Here is a bit about cartoon history(modern) in India. It may not be 100% accurate but would give you a bit of an idea. The first big player in Indian comic industry was Diamond Comics(not sure if you have heard that radio ad - Munnu parta Diamond comics, Munni parti diamond comics...). The lead cartoonist for them was Pran and he created some of the first popular characters. Chacha Chaudhary and Saboo you know obviously. Billoo was an affable character based on Dennis the Menace and appeared in Parag(a children mag) if I am not mistaken. Pinki would appear there as well. Later on Billoo and Pinki became popular enough to appear in comics of their own. Other popular characters for Diamond comics were Rajan-Iqbal, Raman etc. The second entrant was Manoj Comics. They came out with their own characters, some of which were based to counter(or cash) Diamond's existing characters. Thus Ram-Rahim were born(against Rajan iqbal). There were some unique characters too like Crook Bond & Hawaldar Bahadur. The last entrant was Raj comics. They were more Western influenced than Indian. Just a look at their style can remind you of Marvel comics character of West. Their popular characters were Nagraj etc. At the same time many cartoon charactes would appear in Indian periodicals. At the time the most popular periodical was perhaps Dharamyug. This was edited by scholar Dharamvir Bharti(he also edited children book Nandan). The periodical dealt with contemprory issues but it was more moralistic and had excellent literary content. Issues like cricket, movies would appear rarely, and when they did it was all in one page. Rarely did Amitabh or Kapil make to front page. Their popular character was Dhabooji. It was a big hit and many people(including my Dad) collected every single edition. Of course later on tabloids like Outlook and India Today ensured Dharamyug faded. To give a pointer of how things turned, the editor of Outlook - Vinod Mehta- used to edit the men raunchy mag Debonair if I am not mistaken. Their were other popular mags which I am not sure are still around or not. Saptahik Hindustan, Maya, Panchjanya, Sarita, Manorana, Grihasobha. the last three were female mags and Shrimatiji(again a Pran creation) was the lead cartoon character in them. :regular_smile:

Wow! I missed out on all these......Lurker Are these available online? I think I have seen "sreematijee" in one of my mom's mag.....is it the one where the lady wears a polka dot saree and sleeveless blouse with a huge bun on her head.......with a henpecked kind of husband.....?

Wow! I missed out on all these......Lurker Are these available online? I think I have seen "sreematijee" in one of my mom's mag.....is it the one where the lady wears a polka dot saree and sleeveless blouse with a huge bun on her head.......with a henpecked kind of husband.....?
Hehehe yeah she would be the cute looking Auntyjee, always looking for Sales and stuff like that(is that what you Delhi waali biwis do seriously?) Online...hmmm let me check. That was all from childhood memory na. Okay here is Pran's website. You can probably find a face to some of the characters that I mentioed. http://pran.in/billoo.html

I am not from Delhi lurker...:tounge_smile:
Damn it, I seem to have developed Alzheimer these days!! By the way whatever happened to Polka dots clothes/dresses/skirts/salwar suits etc? I used to like them(on girls) :embaressed_smile::embaressed_smile:

All right time to bring out those desi comic stars. Lets see how many of these have been read by you: Rajan - Iqbal Kalamdaas/Lambu Motu/Daddyjee(all used to appear in Lotpot) Kapeesh(Bal Bharti) Crook Bond Mama Bhanja Bahadur(thought Bela was a maal even back then :haha: ) Chacha Chaudhary Biloo Pinki (the last three were Pran the cartoonist creation) Shreematiji(Sarita/Manorama) Dhabooji(Dharamyug) Raman(another Pran creation...hated him with a passion) Fauladi Singh Ram Rahim(Manoj Comics competitor to Diamond comics Rajan iqbal) Hawaldaar Bahadur I suppose that will do for now. By the by the best comic book ever has to be Uncle Pai's Amar Chitra Katha. xx
Lurks, nice list but how could you leave out 2 of my favs? Mahabali Shaka Saabu :thumbs_up:

Damn it, I seem to have developed Alzheimer these days!! By the way whatever happened to Polka dots clothes/dresses/skirts/salwar suits etc? I used to like them(on girls) :embaressed_smile::embaressed_smile:
i wear polka dots..they're so cute and retro hehe