Where is Duncan Fletcher?

+1 Do you think it his job to actually scout talent though?
It was just a tongue in cheek statement to say the same thing. Moreover, the answer to your question is both a yes and a no. There are some captains who like going to the grassroots and find raw talents. While others prefer to work with what's allotted to them.
It was just a tongue in cheek statement to say the same thing. Moreover, the answer to your question is both a yes and a no. There are some captains who like going to the grassroots and find raw talents. While others prefer to work with what's allotted to them.
proactive captains..while MSD is laidback.
Is that even possible in the current cricket scheduling? Even if it is possible - can we hold a captain if he decides not to do it?
+1 Do you think it his job to actually scout talent though?
There is no best answer to it, but once he is a captain of the national team, he is a captain of the national team whether he is at home or in the ground and there are always some obligations added with such a designation and as a captain of the team, he has to give something back to the nation and dont forget, it is the game which has made him such a household name, gave fame and money, so for a professional who is earning millions, one cannot give an excuse that it is just a sport. When a sport starts yielding you such big money, it becomes just more than a sport with emotions and expectations of people of the country adding to it. As a captain, it is him who has to rebuild this team with the help of selectors, ask them look for appropriate players, about upcomign players. He is not just there to play with a team given by selectors and place fielders in the field. Captaincy is more than that.
There is no best answer to it' date=' but once he is a captain of the national team, he is a captain of the national team whether he is at home or in the ground and there are always some obligations added with such a designation and as a captain of the team, he has to give something back to the nation and dont forget, it is the game which has made him such a household name, gave fame and money, so for a [b']propfessional who is earning millions, one cannot give an excuse that it is just a sport. When a sport starts yielding you such big money, it becomes just more than a sport with emotions and expectations of people of the country adding to it. As a captain, it is him who has to rebuild this team with the help of selectors, ask them look for appropriate players, about upcomign players. He is not just there to play with a team given by selectors and place fielders in the field. Captaincy is more than that.
professional...thats the keyword. Unfortunately in India, most Indians fail to understand the meaning of the word
Is that even possible in the current cricket scheduling? Even if it is possible - can we hold a captain if he decides not to do it?
No. Tight schedule or not, it's the captain's prerogative to lead the side the way he wants to. A captain should be given all possible freedom to lead his way, proivided it's not misused, and then look at the results.
There is no best answer to it, but once he is a captain of the national team, he is a captain of the national team whether he is at home or in the ground and there are always some obligations added with such a designation and as a captain of the team, he has to give something back to the nation and dont forget, it is the game which has made him such a household name, gave fame and money, so for a propfessional who is earning millions, one cannot give an excuse that it is just a sport. When a sport starts yielding you such big money, it becomes just more than a sport with emotions and expectations of people of the country adding to it. As a captain, it is him who has to rebuild this team with the help of selectors, ask them look for appropriate players, about upcomign players. He is not just there to play with a team given by selectors and place fielders in the field. Captaincy is more than that.
I agree with you totally. But, as I said, it's the way a captain looks to function. I would assume that even MSD understands that the team has to be rebuilt. And let's leave it to him, till it does not go really awry, and see how it goes. There is always an option of sacking captains if need be.
There is no best answer to it, but once he is a captain of the national team, he is a captain of the national team whether he is at home or in the ground and there are always some obligations added with such a designation and as a captain of the team, he has to give something back to the nation and dont forget, it is the game which has made him such a household name, gave fame and money, so for a propfessional who is earning millions, one cannot give an excuse that it is just a sport. When a sport starts yielding you such big money, it becomes just more than a sport with emotions and expectations of people of the country adding to it. As a captain, it is him who has to rebuild this team with the help of selectors, ask them look for appropriate players, about upcomign players. He is not just there to play with a team given by selectors and place fielders in the field. Captaincy is more than that.
professional...thats the keyword. Unfortunately in India' date=' most Indians fail to understand the meaning of the word[/quote'] Interesting you point out to the word "professional". Professional means doing what you are recruited for. Professional does not mean doing other things than what you are asked to do. To do outside your JD is called something else - it has got nothing to do with professionalism. You can do the set of tasks you are assigned and still be a professional. On the other hand; you could do a set of tasks you are assigned plus extra stuff and still be unprofessional. I will always ask one question before proceeding with any duty at my job - Is this part of my JD? If Yes, then I will do it. If No, I will avoid it unless I am free. Needless to say the latter dominates the former. I understand captaincy is "more than leading a team" but a captain can not play multiple roles - not at this day and age. I will point you out the an example of Ricky Ponting. He tried to do it and won the series against SA in 2009 with a substandard team but faded quickly beyond that to abysmal new depths. If it can not work in a country like Australia with so much support, I doubt how much would it work in a place like India with varied backgrounds etc. A captain's job is on the field and dressing room primarily. Above that, what you get is bonus. If one does not get a bonus, one should not lament over it. Also, note that covering up others runs the risk of introducing lackadaisical attitudes in others work as well ; as they will always expect you to cover them up.
No. Tight schedule or not' date=' it's the captain's prerogative to lead the side the way he wants to. [b']A captain should be given all possible freedom to lead his way, proivided it's not misused, and then look at the results.
This rarely happens in India. I think Vengsarkar's selection committee was the one that functioned what I call the "Imran Khan" way.
I understand captaincy is "more than leading a team" but a captain can not play multiple roles - not at this day and age. I will point you out the an example of Ricky Ponting. He tried to do it and won the series against SA in 2009 with a substandard team but faded quickly beyond that to abysmal new depths. If it can not work in a country like Australia with so much support, I doubt how much would it work in a place like India with varied backgrounds etc. A captain's job is on the field and dressing room primarily. Above that, what you get is bonus. If one does not get a bonus, one should not lament over it. Also, note that covering up others runs the risk of introducing lackadaisical attitudes in others work as well ; as they will always expect you to cover them up.
Thats not called multiple roles. Thats the role of a captain. Role of a captain is not just placing fielders on the field, anyone can do that. Captiancy is usually given to a thinking and intellient cricketer who can think whats better for the team and can work towards makign it even better. Ricky Ponting did what he could do and they are buliding up well.
Thats not called multiple roles. Thats the role of a captain. Role of a captain is not just placing fielders on the field, anyone can do that. Captiancy is usually given to a thinking and intellient cricketer who can think whats better for the team and can work towards makign it even better. Ricky Ponting did what he could do and they are buliding up well.
You are not quite getting my point. The responsibility of the captain is primarily on the field, dressing room and to a large degree selections. Anything above it - scouting for talented players etc. - is a bonus. You think doing these three is easy ? :ohmy:
Again, you are thinking from one point of view that is the pro active one. There have been many occasions when a captain, albeit a laidback one has worked well for a team. Someone like a Steve Waugh comes to my mind. I am not sure whether he went through the lengths and breadths to scout for talents. Or even like a Graeme Smith, who has been there for such a long time but you don't normally find him doing the extra things that you have mentioned. As Dexter says, it's one bit if he does it but if someone can handle the captaincy part well, then that is also sufficient. And captaincy is more of a man management job, that's what I perceive it to be. At International level, most players know their duties pretty well don't they? It's just that they have to be utilized properly and channelize their energies.
Again' date=' you are thinking from one point of view that is the pro active one. There have been many occasions when a captain, albeit a laidback one has worked well for a team. [b']Someone like a Steve Waugh comes to my mind. I am not sure whether he went through the lengths and breadths to scout for talents. Or even like a Graeme Smith, who has been there for such a long time but you don't normally find him doing the extra things that you have mentioned. As Dexter says, it's one bit if he does it but if someone can handle the captaincy part well, then that is also sufficient. And captaincy is more of a man management job, that's what I perceive it to be. At International level, most players know their duties pretty well don't they? It's just that they have to be utilized properly and channelize their energies.
He did. He was the one who asked selectors to bring Brett Lee to the test team in 1999 against us.
They both played for NSW and Steve Waiugh would have captained him. This really is not a talent scouting.
Talent scouting does not mean one needs to search for playes from one state to another. For a captain, there are a lot of sources through which he can get to know about players if he wants to.
Talent scouting does not mean one needs to search for playes from one state to another. For a captain' date=' there are a lot of sources through which he can get to know about players if he wants to.[/quote'] But really, Brett Lee's inclusion is a no-brainer for any captain. He troubled all Indian batsmen in the '99 Warm up game and seriously there is no captain who would not root for him. I agree with you on the talent scouting bit but really, this example does not fit the bill. And again, how do we know that MSD does not have these sources or he does not root for the players he believes in. Maybe he does not do it publically like Ganguly or Waugh in this instance, but he does it behind closed doors.
Like IPL? :cantstop:
No. State coaches, state selectors, main selectors, senior state players, etc. It is all about wanting to do it but as I said Dhoni is least bothered about such things and you do not expect such things from a captain who does not even take the phone of his senior player.
But really, Brett Lee's inclusion is a no-brainer for any captain. He troubled all Indian batsmen in the '99 Warm up game and seriously there is no captain who would not root for him. I agree with you on the talent scouting bit but really, this example does not fit the bill. And again, how do we know that MSD does not have these sources or he does not root for the players he believes in. Maybe he does not do it publically like Ganguly or Waugh in this instance, but he does it behind closed doors.
Msd sources are busy scouting kids who have racing potential.:hysterical: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/sport/motor-racing/dhoni-all-set-start-racing-school-268