Today - India At Olympics 2012

Cricketics

We are probably the worst sporting country in the world by a mile... Even countries like Kazakhstan and Slovakia have gotten medals.. Sadly,I dont see this changing (ever)
It probably comes down to natural talent or infrastructure. Countries like Kazakhstan and Slovakia benefited hugely from the ethos and groundwork injected during communist rule to compete in sports for propaganda purposes. Let's look at China, who have been investing heavily from school teacher spoters to training academy. They have over 3000 medal factories around country to produce world class athletes. They already won more medals in one day at 2012 compared to entire 2 weeks of 2008 in swimming. Anyone watch that 16 year old Chinese female swimmer blast her way to victory! Outstanding stuff.

It probably comes down to natural talent or infrastructure. Countries like Kazakhstan and Slovakia benefited hugely from the ethos and groundwork injected during communist rule to compete in sports for propaganda purposes. Let's look at China, who have been investing heavily from school teacher spoters to training academy. They have over 3000 medal factories around country to produce world class athletes. They already won more medals in one day at 2012 compared to entire 2 weeks of 2008 in swimming. Anyone watch that 16 year old Chinese female swimmer blast her way to victory! Outstanding stuff.
Just the other day I was watching a BBC documentary about seriously how the Communist bloc took the Olympics to be. For them it was more a matter of show casing the superiority of their way of life over the Western way. Like you've rightly said, the Chinese/Soviet/Kazakh etc system of training athletes is more factory like. Not only is it unnatural, but many a times the regimes have cheated to win. Case in point, many East German athletes who later admitted to doping to win in their respective sports. The question is do we want a system that produces Olympic winners for the sake of showing the world? I for one, am happy with what we have as long as it is done naturally. I don't buy the logic of government spending huge sums of money in a nation like ours to sponsor a few sportsmen to achieving a few gold at the Olympics. That can come after the government can provide the very basic to all the citizens. Having said that, I would rather have the corporates sponsor athletes in all these events.

Just the other day I was watching a BBC documentary about seriously how the Communist bloc took the Olympics to be. For them it was more a matter of show casing the superiority of their way of life over the Western way. Like you've rightly said, the Chinese/Soviet/Kazakh etc system of training athletes is more factory like. Not only is it unnatural, but many a times the regimes have cheated to win. Case in point, many East German athletes who later admitted to doping to win in their respective sports. The question is do we want a system that produces Olympic winners for the sake of showing the world? I for one, am happy with what we have as long as it is done naturally. I don't buy the logic of government spending huge sums of money in a nation like ours to sponsor a few sportsmen to achieving a few gold at the Olympics. That can come after the government can provide the very basic to all the citizens. Having said that, I would rather have the corporates sponsor athletes in all these events.
Are you saying that countries(like China) promotes its players to use drugs and that whatever they have done is by illegal means?

Are you saying that countries(like China) promotes its players to use drugs and that whatever they have done is by illegal means?
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that nations have done that in the past. Mainly communist nations - East Germany, Poland and a few more states from Eastern Europe. And the athletes have also later admitted to cheating. Whether or not the Chinese have done it, time will tell. Or maybe the dissidents will :D Countries like China pick children at a young age and have them practice for hours at ends to get a medal in the Olympics. This, according to me, is contra the spirit of the Olympics. Let a person choose a game, and not have the government choose a sport for a person.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that nations have done that in the past. Mainly communist nations - East Germany, Poland and a few more states from Eastern Europe. And the athletes have also later admitted to cheating. Whether or not the Chinese have done it, time will tell. Or maybe the dissidents will :D Countries like China pick children at a young age and have them practice for hours at ends to get a medal in the Olympics. This, according to me, is contra the spirit of the Olympics. Let a person choose a game, and not have the government choose a sport for a person.
^ I would agree with this line of thinking. Earlier I used to feel very bad seeing Indian contingent coming back empty handed, Olympics after Olympics. I used to question that why we don't do anything about that. But Now I think I would not recommend a China like approach for ourselves. Given a choice to allocate government money on various things, expenditure to ensure Olympics medals will come way down in my priority list. We have many other grave problems at our hands which need government corpus. If we could solve them sporting standards will improve automatically. Sporting achievements should be outcome of natural process. Model of factory-ization of sport which countries like Russia, East Germany, China took is definitely not recommended one for India.

Countries like China pick children at a young age and have them practice for hours at ends to get a medal in the Olympics. This, according to me, is contra the spirit of the Olympics. Let a person choose a game, and not have the government choose a sport for a person.
Still better than choosing your favourite sport and achieving nothing in it due to lack of facilities and politics :P