Today - India At Olympics 2012

Cricketics

Just the other day I was watching a BBC documentary about seriously how the Communist bloc took the Olympics to be. For them it was more a matter of show casing the superiority of their way of life over the Western way. Like you've rightly said, the Chinese/Soviet/Kazakh etc system of training athletes is more factory like. Not only is it unnatural, but many a times the regimes have cheated to win. Case in point, many East German athletes who later admitted to doping to win in their respective sports. The question is do we want a system that produces Olympic winners for the sake of showing the world? I for one, am happy with what we have as long as it is done naturally. I don't buy the logic of government spending huge sums of money in a nation like ours to sponsor a few sportsmen to achieving a few gold at the Olympics. That can come after the government can provide the very basic to all the citizens. Having said that, I would rather have the corporates sponsor athletes in all these events.
totally agree. Medals can wait and will grow naturally, once we focus on providing basic infra, and improving general quality of life.