Adelaide Test Pre match and Selection discussion thread

Magneto

Guys I spent hours and hours on statistics of Ponting from FirstClass to Test matches as a captain, batsman, and non-player. I also came with a binomial, normal, log normal to model runs scored and thus each distribution similar to Possion Distribution. On the distribution, I equated lognormal, produced the formula closer to James's Pythagorean's. There are some deviations but they are within 0.00014 of the sample range of RS and RA. Please be aware, James had it for modelled for baseball but I modified to suit cricketing needs. PontingScore = RS^c/(RS^c + RA^c) where... (google to get James theory what these represent.._ I don't want to post my formula and observation here but you can PM me for details. What does it mean to commoners? In the layman terms, my equation yields that Ponting may outscore Sachin in 5.8 years if he continues to play and Sachin for another 2.3 years. BTW, I sent my finding to Cricket Australia, and am awaiting their reply.
so whats Ponting's stats as a non -player?
fPf99.jpg Seriously(no comma) it's shocking. We all know the stereotype "Indians can't field" etc etc, but that's traditionally been seen as a result of having an older team. Today though, the worst fielders(no comma) by far(no comma) have been (the) younger guys like Yadav and Ashwin. Sharma is only 23 and he fields like an 80 year old! It's only compounded when VVS/Sehwag are forced out of the slips (good catchers but terrible ground fielders). Does Indian (whats the "n" doing there) even have a fielding coach? If so, what the hell is he doing?
Hows the weather in Lahore?
whatever your formula is - here is one simple test case. Use it to predict SRT, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, and few more regulars' (who debuted in 90s) tally - what it would have been today, based on their numbers until 2007/2008. And compare them with actual numbers today. w/o that your formula is as good as legendary RPT (search ICF, or ask people around).
What the heck is RPT? Rett's Points Table?

Our ODI side is a very decent fielding unit ,not upto the standards of Aus-Eng-SA but still some very good fielders there. So it's not coach's fault IMO. In tests if you see catching , its not bad but with players aging its tough to keep ground fielding upto standards. Dravid , Laxman , Sachin , Sehwag were not good fielders in even in their prime. Hopefully Ashwin will improve it (seems to be a very hard working chap) and a couple of youngsters will replace oldies , then we will see a decent fielding unit in tests too.

thatsnotfunny128630893950560268.jpg Seriously, its shocking. We all know the stereotype " Aussies have no sense of humour" etc etc but that's traditionally been seen as a result of being direct descendents of the Brits. One would have thought that mass immigration from Asia and Eastern Europe would change that. Today though, the worst jokes by far have been by the newbies. Dhonuts is not even 100 posts old and he makes even the oldie Aussies look funny. Its only compounded when Aussie-r-best and Special K add to the mix. :P Does Australia even have a humour coach? If so, what the hell is he doing?
I think India are providing Australia with enough humour at the minute :P

Ganguly is spot on. Kallis had a rough start to his Test career when he averaged round about 30 or in late 20s the first 30 tests or so. Since then he has been the best player around. Period. His stats as a batsman are comparable to Tendulkar & Dravid and actually averages higher than both. Kallis is a much better fielder and hardly see him drop catches in slips, and as a bowler has nearly the same no. of wkts as Zaheer. One of the best players and all-rounder to play the game :hatsoff: