Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news

beetle

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news

>Warne's greatest achievement is that he came from a country not known for spin bowling. Kinda similar to Kaps. hmmm...what about Richie Benaud.???
yea, forgot about him. but that was 40 years before though.

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news The cricketers are a very insecure lot. You may have seen Naseer do this too, take up an assignment with the Channel 4 commentary team. Roger Twose gave up cricket to take up a position as a investment manager in a bank. After playing days are done, funds don?t flow as much for these players. Particularly for someone like Warnie to keep up with his life style he needs a lot of fund flow. These players no wonder would like to settle down with a decent job that fetches good money once they start aging. Both are no doubt great bowlers and Australia will feel the void hugely. I will always take the praise and hype that will be showered on them with a pinch of salt. Aussies are known to brag about their players more than what they deserve. Not only do they do that but they seem to have a knack of convincing the rest of the world similarly thanks to their commentators. No doubt Warnie has been one of the stars and a crowd puller since the last decade but I would deduct about 100 wickets each from Warnie and McGrath's tally of total number of wickets. I would love to see any other fast bowler surpass McGrath's record. Murali in due course will make Warnie's record a short meal. McGrath probably deserves more accolades than Warnie considering Warnie?s record against certain batsmen and country. McGrath has bowled well in all conditions and has been more than consistent but has been less colourful than Warnie. Who are going to go next? Hayden, Langer and Gilly???

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news That lineup was more potent IMO. Look at it: MS Atapattu ST Jayasuriya +KC Sangakkara DPMD Jayawardene TM Dilshan *HP Tillakaratne TT Samaraweera WPUJC Vaas DNT Zoysa HMRKB Herath M Muralitharan And they were playing at home to boot. In SL, nearly all SL batsmen bat like Bradman.

BB' date=' Warne owns the Lankans and absolutely obliterated them and outperformed Murali in Australia's tour of Lanka in 2004.[/quote'] I don't know about Warnie outperforming Murali. From my memory Murali took a lot of wickets in that test series, probably even more than Warnie. I need to check on that one to confirm though.

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news I'm just happy I saw him bowl in person. The greatest personality the game has known. Hero,villain. Entertainer,druggie. Genius,pervert. The blond hair. The nike studs. The rubbing of the palms on the turf. The down on one knee exulting celebration. World Cup 1999 semi final is my favourite Warney spell. RSA were cruising. He came on, bowled a peach to Gibbs and took the game by the scruff of it's neck and catapulted Australia to the finals. 52380280.jpg He will be missed.

I'm just happy I saw him bowl in person. The greatest personality the game has known. Hero,villain. Entertainer,druggie. Genius,pervert. The blond hair. The nike studs. The rubbing of the palms on the turf. The down on one knee exulting celebration. World Cup 1999 semi final is my favourite Warney spell. RSA were cruising. He came on, bowled a peach to Gibbs and took the game by the scruff of it's neck and catapulted Australia to the finals. 52380280.jpg He will be missed.
Magical post. Take my hat off to the genius that Gambo is.

Cricket doesnt always work on sheer numbers ... I will give you an example ... Aussies start a series ... first test ... things are even or starting to get slightly worse for them ...
Errr....the number of times McGrath has dislodged opening batsmen in his first spell without any aid from umpires is uncountable. An absolute genius and the only bowler to have won more battles than he lost against the best batsmen of his era ie. Tendulkar, Dravid, and Lara. In my books the best fast bowler the world has ever seen alongside Marshall. You can continue to have your own thoughts. And where did I question Kumble's greatness?
Warne's greatest achievement is that he came from a country not known for spin bowling. Kinda similar to Kaps.
Actually, Australia have had a very rich tradition of leg spin bowling starting from the days of O'Reilly and Grimmet to Warne through Benaud. It is true though they did not produce anyone of quality in the 2-3 decades before Warne showed up.