What will happen in Iraq?

Zooter

... if the U.S. leaves? I'm interested to know what the ICF family thinks. U.S. forces can't leave tomorrow, but the decision to leave can be made at any time--even right now. It will take about 1 year to dismantle the operations and bring all the troops back. So, what will happen in that year and after? My take: NOTHING. The notion that Iraq will become "Hell on Earth" blah blah is more idiotic neo-Con bullshyte. Every single prediction made by the Cheney's and Rumsfeld's of the world have been wrong, and this will also be wrong. There might be an initial spike upwards, but in the long run, many more Iraqis will be saved because there will BE NO OCCUPATION!!!!!!!!!! Iraq may not turn into a perfect Jeffersonian Democracy, but the slaughter will end only after the U.S. leaves--EXACTLY like Vietnam. I feel horrible for the innocent people who have absolutely nothing to do with all this, ... they're just caught in the middle and they get shot. And NOBODY even counts the Iraqi dead. We simply don't know how many Iraqi civilians have died--it's never reported. One U.S. soilder dies: and the World must stop spinning. One hunderd thousand Arabs die: who cares? iraqi_children.jpg I think India ought to get it's ass in there and start helping to build schools, universities, whatever the gov't asks of us.

Guest dada_rocks

"It will further spiral deep into civil war", it is not a prediction; just an obvious observation.. It's going to be battle-field for persian and arab. With iran renewing its claim on certain part of arab region further strengthens the fear. U just have to listen to the words of Sunni pide-piper al-Qardhavi,u would know no party is willing to give an inch. Freaking most revered pilgrimigae site of each others are being blown. This kind of loony desperation can't be atrributed to american presence .

... if the U.S. leaves?
Death, death and more death.
I think India ought to get it's ass in there and start helping to build schools, universities, whatever the gov't asks of us.
That is the only way peace is gonna be restored in the country. There is no way Iraqis are going to listen to Americans, or work with Brits. What can work for them is a UN Peace keeping forces made of soldiers from India, Pakistan, China and so on. Countries that can be trusted by Iraqis. But that will call for a lot of statemanship from Indian/Pakistani diplomats as also conceding of grounds(and interest) by Americans. Neither of those looks like its gonna happen. xxx

India is already involved in Afghanistan.Do you think it is wise to get involved in such a volatile conflict right now?Not till the iraqis bring some kind of order and decide what they want.We can give material aid but not direct involvement.I am sick and tired of this Spineless govt acting more spineless every time an Indian is Kidnapped for ransom or kiilled.

If shias and sunnis there can't live with each other...that is not our problem.We have enough of our own.I would rather see India worry about Pak and Afghanistan as it is morelikely to cause worries for us in future.
i agree, its not for us to intervene... but i feel sympathy for the shia in iraq... they have been the persistent majority and yet never held the reins of the nation. if only the americans had not grotesquely mismanaged this, iraq had incredible potential. outside iran, the most intellectual and liberal population (excluding turkey) resides in iraq. especially the kurds...

What can work for them is a UN Peace keeping forces made of soldiers from India, Pakistan, China and so on. Countries that can be trusted by Iraqis. But that will call for a lot of statemanship from Indian/Pakistani diplomats as also conceding of grounds(and interest) by Americans. Neither of those looks like its gonna happen.
The only way UN and India should get involved is after US apologises to UN for disregarding it and bringing its name to disrepute. that will never happen. so the only option left is another vietnam... less dramatic on the visuals maybe... but effect wise the same... ie. forced withdrawl!