If there was a general election tommorow, who would you vote for?

King Tendulkar

If there was a general election tommorow, who would you vote for?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• Congress
    • BJP

Congress government was one on life support where all doctors had given hope till BJP thrust Modi to the forefront. That has completely shifted the political atmosphere from one of serious under performance of the government to the fabric of the country. BJP might as well have put up Advani's proverbial kutte ka baccha as their PM candidate and they would have formed the next government.
Advani is a proven failure. Why would BJP go with a proven failure ? The nation has already preferred Manmohan Singh to Advani.

Advani is a proven failure. Why would BJP go with a proven failure ? The nation has already preferred Manmohan Singh to Advani.
We've had this discussion before - you believe that circumstances in 2009 were similar to today, whereas my view is that the resentment against the government on issues like corruption, economy etc. is on a completely different level today. Modi isn't positioned well to take advantage of that resentment because a) he will not get allies like Advani or other BJP leaders would have and b) with him at the forefront, these topics will become secondary to '02 and in general his dislike for Muslims.

Currently according to the polls the NDA has 10/40 in Bihar, 1/42 in West Bengal, 0/39 in Tamil Nadu, 4/28 in Karnataka, 0/42 in Andhra Pradesh, 20/48 in Maharashtra, and 22/26 in Gujarat for a total of 57/265 seats. If Modi effect was not around the numbers would have been 92/265 seats for the NDA (17 from JD-U, 25 from TC, and assuming Modi effect added 7 seats in Gujarat). So far "Modi effect" = -17 -25 + 7 = -35.

If there were an opinion poll that measured the percentage swing to/from the BJP depending on whether or not Modi was the PM candidate - that would give a better idea of his value as the PM candidate. Some not so recent surveys had suggested that Modi would augment the BJP vote. One thing for sure is that the BJP cadre which has a finger on the pulse of the BJP supporters feels that Modi is the best bet. No party can disregard the wishes of its cadre and base and hope to succeed.

If there were an opinion poll that measured the percentage swing to/from the BJP depending on whether or not Modi was the PM candidate - that would give a better idea of his value as the PM candidate. Some not so recent surveys had suggested that Modi would augment the BJP vote. One thing for sure is that the BJP cadre which has a finger on the pulse of the BJP supporters feels that Modi is the best bet. No party can disregard the wishes of its cadre and base and hope to succeed.
such a percentage swing would not take into account the most important factor i.e the numbers of seats BJP will lose because of lack of allies. To satisfy the cadre he could have been made the Campaign Chief without making him the de facto PM candidate so as to attract some pre poll allies because for a party like BJP, which is weak/non existent in many states, alliances are very important.

1. Percentage swing does not always translate into seats because: a. The alliance dynamics change and are difficult to measure. BJP is gaining 8% points in Bihar, but nothing in terms of seats, might even lose some. b. In states where the initial percentage is very high or low, the percentage swing only adds marginally to the numbers. BJP's vote share is up 6% in WB, but their threshold is so low that it will not translate into seats. 2. The seats lost through losing allies who will not align with Modi is not measured. At the end it's about the number of seats NDA gets, not the number of votes BJP gets.

Does this interpretation include the Karsevaks also or only the muslim victims ?
Yep. Is there something called "Hindu" victims? Or "Christian" victims or "Sikh" victims? So far, I have only heard about one victim group only and watched astonishingly on how some victims simply do not exist. Like in 11 years of on 2002 riots debate, Hindus are completely irrelevant and forgotten and really history has been manipulated to suit the political agenda. Not a surprise as even on our forum, many here refuse to admit that.

Man, this is hillarious. I just wanted to share with you guys something that has happened just half an hour back and this thread is perfect for that. My lease aggrement with the landlord is getting over next month, my landlord a colonel in Indian army called me and asked me whether I want to renew it. I said yes but I asked him not to increase the rent by 10% as this year has been not good for me. His reply was hillarious. I never had any casual conversation with him before on any topic but out of blues he said man these ba****s have ruined my country, promise me you will vote for Modi or else nothing will be left. I said yes sir sure I will and he gave me rebate of 1000 rs per month on this. Man I am going to vote for BJP they saved my 11000 rs for this year. :hysterical: :hysterical:

Man, this is hillarious. I just wanted to share with you guys something that has happened just half an hour back and this thread is perfect for that. My lease aggrement with the landlord is getting over next month, my landlord a colonel in Indian army called me and asked me whether I want to renew it. I said yes but I asked him not to increase the rent by 10% as this year has been not good for me. His reply was hillarious. I never had any casual conversation with him before on any topic but out of blues he said man these ba****s have ruined my country, promise me you will vote for Modi or else nothing will be left. I said yes sir sure I will and he gave me rebate of 1000 rs per month on this. Man I am going to vote for BJP they saved my 11000 rs for this year. :hysterical: :hysterical:
You should have shown him Narendra Modi thread from ICF :winky:

:hysterical::hysterical: Give me his number and I'll tell him his tenant posts on ICF as The Outsider.

saw the election tracker show on cnn ibn,opinion polls for 3 states were projected 1)rajasthan- cong 10-14,bjp10-14 2013 ,congress seats declined from 20 in 09 to 10-14,bjp gained few 2)MP- bjp 22-25,cong 4-8 ,congress seats reduced by 10 from last time,bjp sweeping MP 3)UP the biggest of them all- bjp (surprisingly) 29-33,sp 17-21,congress 10-14 compared to last time when con got 21,sp 23,bjp 10 significant rise that for bjp,almost tipped to get 27% of votes,increased by almost 9% from the last time.. although in reality its quite unlikely that bjp will get 30 seats in UP but still there is a strong possibility (even me thinks) that they`ll garner 22+ seats which is vital.. a good possibility might be that con and sp ally together

:hysterical::hysterical: Give me his number and I'll tell him his tenant posts on ICF as The Outsider.
No man, kal hi nikal dega. I being a BJP fan know that how violent or hyper Modi/BJP fan can be. I like BJP but I do not like the supporters of BJP, they are mostly hyper. I dislike Congress politiicans but I like the coolness and calmness of their supporters.

saw the election tracker show on cnn ibn,opinion polls for 3 states were projected 1)rajasthan- cong 10-14,bjp10-14 2013 ,congress seats declined from 20 in 09 to 10-14,bjp gained few 2)MP- bjp 22-25,cong 4-8 ,congress seats reduced by 10 from last time,bjp sweeping MP 3)UP the biggest of them all- bjp (surprisingly) 29-33,sp 17-21,congress 10-14 compared to last time when con got 21,sp 23,bjp 10 significant rise that for bjp,almost tipped to get 27% of votes,increased by almost 9% from the last time.. although in reality its quite unlikely that bjp will get 30 seats in UP but still there is a strong possibility (even me thinks) that they`ll garner 22+ seats which is vital.. a good possibility might be that con and sp ally together
Agree with Raj & MP. As for UP, I would be absolutely stunned if BJP won more than 25 (25 itself is a very, very big number IMHO).