Nazia Hassan

Ram

Wonder how many here are familiar with Nazia Hassan. I hadnt heard that name till a couple of days ago , when i accidentally came across her video in youtube. I was surprised to see so many of her videos in youtube , all of them which looked pretty old. That aroused my interest and did some reading on her. Was amazed to see that she was a pop singer in pakistan who not only dominated the south asian pop scene but also set the trend for pop music in this region. She even had a big impact in India. Wikipedia has this to say about her -- "Pakistan's vibrant contemporary rock scene owes itself to Nazia Hassan's redefinition of pop. In fact, the biggest nineties bands including the Vital Signs and the Jupiters got a platform on "Music 89" Nazia also had a seismic impact in India. She has contributed to the development of the present isomorphism of Bollywood music and pop: “She set - well ahead of its time - the personal album trend in India,” spawning the likes of Alisha, Lucky Ali and Shewna Shetty.She is known to be the "Sweetheart of Pakistan" and "The nightingale of East". Nazia Hassan is still the symbol of grace, sacred beauty and innocence.". Looking at some of her videos , even with the crappy quality , her aura and class shines through. The music seems pretty contemporary too , considering we are talking about 80's here. The most unfortunate thing is , she died in 1990 , at the age of 35 from lung cancer. What a pity ! Here we go , as a small sample.. 8mWngsjO-m8

Was it lung or stomach cancer. She was a pretty good singer. Incidentally , my first brush with Hindi disco was through the movie Qurbani and it was Nazia Hassan who sang the famous disco song "Aap Jaisa Koi" . She had a good voice and along with her brother Zohaib they made some sweet music courtesy music producer Biddhu ( who incidentally is a nagtive of my hometown ). .

Nazia Hassan was top performer and in many ways one of the leading lights of sub-continent pop music. Her best works were with Biddoo though Kalyanji Anandji managed to eek out some good stuff too, specially in Qurbaani. My favorite Nazia Song "Boom Boom"...from Kumar Gauraw's Star(it had some really cool songs). rOyVOiWdmGo