England vs South Africa 2012

Tut Tut. Atherton is right. After all, how come everybody has forgotten the home series victory against the West Indies so quickly? Don't you all realize that it takes a lot of effort to come back into the game after a no.11 is allowed to come near a ton, and manage to draw it to save further humiliation? AND. Guess who hold the Ashes, morons? Who? That's right, England.

Atherton... "England will be shocked by how well SA have played" "England rarely lose test matches" This is after they have lost 5 out of their last 9. Looks like tests outside England don't count.
:haha::haha: Yeah I blinked disbelievingly at him saying that... 4 losses in the last 5 and he has the guts to proclaim that.. what a joker..!
Smith's declaration reminded of Dravid's declaration against Pakistan in 2004 post Sehwag's triple. Dravid didn't wait for Tendulkar's double and declared to give enough time to his bowlers' date=' just like Smith did it here leaving Kallis few runs short of a double.[/quote'] Dravid should have declared earlier and not when Sachin was at 194. They could have easily declared about an hour earlier, they played on just to let Sachin score his double and then suddenly declared on 194, didn't make any sense. But credit goes to SA for putting the team ahead of individuals.
It wasn't such a brave declaration. There was no way SA could have lost this test. But it was a brilliant decision nonetheless. Many captains would have preferred to play on for about 10-15 overs after tea' date=' India would have certainly.[/quote'] True that! In fact I am willing to bet we would have even batted on till morning of day 5 and building a lead of 350 runs, and at the end of the day we would have been 4 wkts short of a win. I still recall Sydney Test on the 2004 tour. We went on batting in the first innings till day 3 and declared at 700+. Given the fact we were going for maiden Test series win in Aus, were playing against a strong batting lineup and the match was safe anyways, we should have declared before end of day 2 and forced Aussie opener to bat for some time before close of day. But nope we had to drag our batting on to day 3 and making things easier for Aussie batsmen with draw the only realistic option :facepalm:
True that! In fact I am willing to bet we would have even batted on till morning of day 5 and building a lead of 350 runs, and at the end of the day we would have been 4 wkts short of a win. I still recall Sydney Test on the 2004 tour. We went on batting in the first innings till day 3 and declared at 700+. Given the fact we were going for maiden Test series win in Aus, were playing against a strong batting lineup and the match was safe anyways, we should have declared before end of day 2 and forced Aussie opener to bat for some time before close of day. But nope we had to drag our batting on to day 3 and making things easier for Aussie batsmen with draw the only realistic option :facepalm:
Absolutely, I was miffed at that time. Similarly Lara was very selfish when he scored his 400, similar story, played one full session on Day 3, there was no way they could have won that test on a flat track.
Dravid should have declared earlier and not when Sachin was at 194. They could have easily declared about an hour earlier' date= they played on just to let Sachin score his double and then suddenly declared on 194, didn't make any sense. But credit goes to SA for putting the team ahead of individuals.
The story at that time was that Dravid sent a message to the batsmen that he wanted to declare ASAP and at most SRT will have half an hour to get his 2004, and when the half hour (or whatever the target time was) was up SRT was on 194. But yeah I agree we should have declared a little earlier in that case. Same with Sydney test in 200 where we kept on batting on day 3 in our first innings :facepalm: