Indian Cricket League (ICL) related thread

Preds ... most of the NBA super stars didnt even bother to particiapte in the last Olympics ... remember ?
it is mostly because of the 82 games + playoffs they play in the nba for their team... they want rest or want their little injuries to heal and be 100% ready for the next season in other cases, the owner of the teams they play for, dont want them to play for their country just cus they might get injured.. for ex. cuban didnt want dirk to play and wanted him to rest his weak ankles.. these cricket player r not playing for their country and trying to join ICL is a whole different reason... they know pcb has a history of backstabbing players after their hard work for years...and after dopping moyo, razzaq....their friends... rest got pissed too..

Cash cracks cricket cradle The rebel Indian Cricket League has struck the game's official body a "bolt from the blue", luring away seven Hyderabad Ranji Trophy players with annual salaries they cannot hope to earn in an entire career playing domestic cricket. More... Cash cracks cricket cradle - Rebel league’s lakhs prompt Ranji players to defy BCCI OUR BUREAU

zzfront.jpg

Aug. 16: The rebel Indian Cricket League has struck the game’s official body a “bolt from the blueâ€, luring away seven Hyderabad Ranji Trophy players with annual salaries they cannot hope to earn in an entire career playing domestic cricket.

Last night’s deals are the first the Zee-promoted league has struck with current players, signalling that the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s threats may not deter the Ranji cricketer who is paid just Rs 60,000 a game.

The ICL contract, reported to be worth Rs 90 lakh, assures a player Rs 30 lakh a year even if he doesn’t play a match and compares with the pay packets of Team India’s juniormost cricketers. (See chart)

Among the signings were 21-year-old batsman Ambati Rayudu, a former teen prodigy who had in recent years belied expectations of becoming “the next Sachin†but kept his Team India hopes alive with regular India A appearances.

The operation was cloaked in secrecy, with the three-year contracts signed in Chennai where the Hyderabad team is to play the Buchi Babu tournament.

A stunned Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA) president, G. Vinod, termed it “desertionâ€, summarily sacking the seven players and asking them to return home. “It is a bolt from the blue and a major shock,†he said.

Vinod added that the association would wait for the BCCI to take a decision about these players at its August 21 AGM.

The board, which had first threatened lifetime bans on ICL recruits but later vaguely spoken of depriving them of “benefitsâ€, wouldn’t comment although its officials kept in touch with the HCA through the day.

“We have only heard about it from TV reports. We have no comments at this stage,†BCCI chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty said.

A PTI report quoted unnamed ICL sources as saying that the Rs 30-lakh-a-year offer was for “an average†Ranji player — it could go up to Rs 50 lakh for those with international experience.

Rayudu’s team-mates who signed up are Vinay Kumar, Ibrahim Khalil, I.S. Reddy, Anirudh Singh, Kaushik Reddy and Shashank Nag.

“We felt it was our best bet,†said one of the players who didn’t wish to be named. He added that the politicking in the game’s official bodies made cricketers insecure about their future.

There was more bad news for the Indian and Pakistani boards. Unconfirmed reports said senior Pakistani players Abdul Razzaq and Mohammad Yousuf — international cricket’s most successful batsman last season — had signed up, too.

Former captain Inzamam-ul Haq and batsman Asim Kamal are said to be considering offers and opener Imran Farhat today confirmed doing so.

A PTI report said current Delhi players Ashish Nehra, Aakash Chopra, Amit Bhandari and Mithun Manhas had been approached, but the cricketers could not be contacted for comment.

The Hyderabad players are the “property†of the state association, Vinod thundered. “They joined the ICL in Chennai last night but informed us only this morning. I don’t know why they have left.â€

The HCA was once seen as a Jagmohan Dalmiya supporter, but is understood to have switched sides and started supporting current BCCI president Sharad Pawar. So, today’s developments are an embarrassment for Pawar.

It’s not insignificant that the HCA secretary, Shivlal Yadav, was made the National Cricket Academy director in place of Dalmiya appointee Brijesh Patel. This happened within weeks of Pawar assuming office in end-2005.

The Chennai signings are a huge step forward for the parallel league, which has already signed West Indian Brian Lara and approached Australian Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne — all retired legends.

One big headache — how to get stadiums for the matches — has already been solved by Lalu Prasad’s offer of the Railways’ 30-odd grounds across the country.

With the ICL finding one heavyweight backer after another — Digvijay Singh has taken up its cause with Pawar — the air is buzzing with talk of a compromise with the board.

Good to hear that. For once the money generated by cricket in India is going to go to the domestic cricket and the grass roots. BCCI hardly paid the domestic cricketers well in the past. I would love to see the domestic cricketers that aren't good enough to make it to international cricket end up with ICL.

BCCI's claim that it wont consider any players for future India selection if they play for ICL should be challenged in the court. I dont think such a stand is viable. BCCI may claim its a private organization and has all the right to choose which players it wants to play for the team that plays under its logo, but i am pretty sure that clause could be challenged in the court of law , saying it harms national interest.

Something I don't like with ICL is the Twnety20 format. I would have preferred them to start a full 50 overs ODI competition or try some new format out like a 2 innings game with maximum overs to bat in the first inning limited to say 100 overs or something. We will have good results and also will help establish a new exciting format.

Good move really. You can't while away your time when you are depending on cricket to feed you. If you get a better offer than what PCB can offer the players should be allowed to take it. It's not good PCB threatens these players as for future selection is concerned.

Predz .. the stadiums are not owned by the BCCI ... they belong to the local municipalities ... the only that stops these municipalities from allowing ICL to play is if BCCI has exclusive "legal" rights to play there (and nobody else). This is obviously not the case. This is where BCCI's dadagiri comes in ... But its hard to imagine that Subash Chandra being soo naive as to not have forseen this before investing millions in this project. If the bellicose BCCI starts acting up and resorts to threats and bans Zee will take it to the court and they will easily win.
thanks... it was my question though, but predz wont mind.
No' date=' they get more than that. I think in the Ranji season, they do get about close to 1 lakh per match played or atleast 50-60 k per Ranji match. If they play about 10 ranji matches a year they make decent money,[/quote'] You're wrong. Read the article I posted above in the previous page.
Although the organisers of the breakaway league did not disclose the financial details, it is learnt that the players would stand to gain a hefty Rs 90 lakh each for a three-year contract besides Rs one lakh as match fees. It is in stark contrast to Rs 60,000 that Ranji Trophy players earn for a match. The BCCI paid Rs 16,000 as match fees for a member of the playing eleven and an additional Rs 44,000 as part of its profit sharing arrangement with domestic players.
Of that 44000, players don't even get 4400 because the state associations gulp those money!! So obviously a security of 90 lakhs in 3 years and 1 lack for every 3 hour match is more than enough for most of the Ranji players who are either NOT knocking on the doors to be included in Indian team, or are victims of politics!
Something I don't like with ICL is the Twnety20 format. I would have preferred them to start a full 50 overs ODI competition or try some new format out like a 2 innings game with maximum overs to bat in the first inning limited to say 100 overs or something. We will have good results and also will help establish a new exciting format.
But that wouldn't have attracted vthe TV audience as much as a 20 over format where the match finishes in 3 hours! Don't mistake this as an encoragement to cricket or its development. Zee wants to make money, thats all!! Only good thing here is that the players are being duly rewarded!
Wonder what happenned to the promised BCCI multimedia-rich site which was gonna broadcast local games, etc etc.. They caused such a hoopla over who to give the contract to.
Indian fans might get to see it in the next millenium, if cricket survies that long!!