Indian Cricket League (ICL) related thread

I’m not surprised that Rayudu and six of his mates have reportedly joined the ICL; I won’t be surprised if more young men decide to ignore the BCCI’s dire warnings of instant excommunication, and play on the ICL stage. I am not even surprised by what HCA president G Vinod—who, in keeping with the trend of politicians running cricket, happens to be a minister in the state government—had to say:

He cried foul, saying
the players are “the property of HCA
and got all the encouragement and opportunities from the body. I don’t know why they have left". “Had they informed HCA before joining ICL, things would have been different,” Vinod added.

‘The players are the property of the HCA’—words that perfectly sum up the administration’s attitude towards the players.

Although the organisers of the breakaway league did not disclose the financial details, it is learnt that the players would stand to gain a hefty Rs 90 lakh each for a three-year contract besides Rs one lakh as match fees. It is in stark contrast to Rs 60,000 that Ranji Trophy players earn for a match.

It is not just the money; it is the way players are treated—not as humans, but as little more than dogs that had to make nice to the masters if they wanted the odd bone. I remember being repelled, once, while holidaying in Delhi with good friend and former Outlook journo Krishna Prasad. His apartment was in one of those upmarket Delhi localities; we were walking back home late one night when we were attracted by the sounds of a party on the rooftop of a neighboring house. As we watched, we saw one bloke, presumably the master of the house, come towards the parapet, and toss bananas and cakes towards the drivers milling around on the road outside. ‘Khao yaar, aish karo!’, he said, as he tossed down another banana. I have never felt as humiliated, as affronted, since as I did then, watching the drivers pick up the odd banana that had eluded their grasp and fallen onto the road. Following cricket, though, has on several occasions brought me close. Like the time, to quote just one instance, when Sadagopan Ramesh once called our office, asking to speak to Faisal or me. When he got Faisal on the line, he asked if we could arrange a car to pick him up at his hotel and drop him off at the airport so he could take a flight home. Intrigued, we called him later, to find out why he was in such a fix—and he told us what it means to be a Ranji player. Apparently, according to Ramesh, when he was playing for his state he had to get his own tickets; once the match was over, he had to submit the bills and wait for reimbursement. And to add insult to injury, he had to attach with his bills a note from his home association, stating that he had been picked to play in that particular match, and another from the host association, stating that he had in fact played.

Absolutely sickening. I don't blame any of these players for ditching their state associations for the ICL.

inferior treatment of players by our board/admin babus is nothing new, used to happen to international playres as well until recently. there are many stories of players when on tour looking out to get dinner/lunch sponsored at some indian family or organization so that they can save some $$$. I read Kapil paajis biography recently and he mentions how Mohinder laughed at him when Paaji was going out to get his laundry done on his first tour in Pak, reason - there is hardly any $$$ to cover for such 'expenses'. Mohinder taught paaji how to wash clothes in hotel room, the way they all used to do and use the saved $$$ to have party/dinner together. :confused_smile:

inferior treatment of players by our board/admin babus is nothing new' date=' used to happen to international playres as well until recently. there are many stories of players when on tour looking out to get dinner/lunch sponsored at some indian family or organization so that they can save some $$$. I read Kapil paajis biography recently and he mentions how Mohinder laughed at him when Paaji was going out to get his laundry done on his first tour in Pak, reason - there is hardly any $$$ to cover for such 'expenses'. Mohinder taught paaji how to wash clothes in hotel room, the way they all used to do and use the saved $$$ to have party/dinner together. :confused_smile:[/quote'] They did not have any alternative then. They have it now. Why should they not grab this chance?
Guest dada_rocks

I see a lot of chest beating particularlry on the other side of the border, bordring on invoking emotion to openly questioning players patriotism. The fact is that none of the players have actually made themselves unavailable for their respective national teams it;s the board which has come up with the arcane rules whereby their selection is being rendered out of question. Obviously cricket board's stance hasall to do with with ensuring well being of their own financial health. Noone in his/her right mind can say they are being patritotic by their stand towards players in this saga. Particularly expat. indians/pakistan questioning the commitment of these players towards their national team sounds hyppocritical at best. Should not we have been in waiting mode in India to volunteer with our help if and when ISRO/DRDO needs it..

Catch them young: three UP players join the ICL What should be worrying the BCCI now is, that unlike many of the names announced till now, none of the three is either near retirement nor has lost all hope of making it to the Indian team at some stage. Former youth World Cupper and UP’s pace spearhead, left arm seamer Shalabh Srivastava is 25, all-rounder Ali Murtuza is 17 and left-arm spinner Avinash Yadav is 20 and, like some of the seven Hyderabadis who joined the ICL this week, they will all be part of the ICL's larger stated strategy — one to nurture a pool of "young, exciting talent". So ICL is succeeding and the ball has started rolling!! All the best ICL!!!:wtg:

Theyaren't selling anything for which they need to have customercare, MM.:D Meanwhile those interested in knowing why the players are tempted to sign to this league, even risking life bans from BCCI, but why are some appehensive about it too, you should read the following article: Cash Twenty20? Atreyo Mukhopadhyay Email Author Kolkata, August 17, 2007 First Published: 04:46 IST(18/8/2007) Last Updated: 04:50 IST(18/8/2007) DropShadow_BotLeft.gifDropShadow_BotRight.gif Stories of conflict between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the players are not new. In 1989, after a tour of the West Indies, there was a flare-up over exhibition matches leading to six players being suspended, which they finally got overturned in the Supreme Court. In the same year before the Pakistan series, there was a tussle over pay and captain Krishnamachari Srikkanth was advised to lead a new set of players. He refused, a compromise was made after the trip and Srikkanth stripped of captaincy despite leading India to their first series draw in Pakistan. And days before the 2003 World Cup, the issue of players’ personal contracts had caused a ruckus. The difference between these instances of unrest and the one brewing now is that while some solution was found in all those cases, none seems to be in sight at the moment. The BCCI is getting sterner everyday when it comes to the Indian Cricket League (ICL), while the number of players joining the so-called rebel league is growing daily. Jai Prakash Yadav, who played 12 ODIs, was the first one to go on record saying that he and some of his Railways teammates have made up their mind and on Thursday came the news that a clutch of Hyderabad players were following suit. Slowly but steadily, players regardless of age or aspirations are coming under the ICL umbrella, risking a life ban from the BCCI. Money, money, many Players like Yadav, who have some international experience but stand little chance of getting back to the top flight, have been promised Rs 75 lakh to a crore for three years with a clause in the contracts stating that they would be compensated if the BCCI slaps financial penalties, stops other benefits like pensions or if they get injured. The most well to do of these players make a maximum of around Rs 10-12 lakh a year and the prospect of a quantum leap in earnings is naturally bound to make them consider the offers seriously. About 30 per cent of the amount promised will be handed over as soon as they sign the contract, the rest coming in 36 monthly instalments. But some are taking time to decide. "You can broadly divide those being approached by the ICL in three categories," said a player who has been sounded out and is yet to take a decision. "For some, it's a good deal and they will take it. Some are apprehensive thinking what happens if it stops. There are some others who want to return to the mainstream as coaches or selectors in future and are not sure whether they'll be accepted." The fear of censure Apart from fearing that they would face the board's wrath, these players are edgy also because there are grey areas in the ICL concept. "We know it's going to be a Twenty20 competition featuring teams from six cities. We don't know how the teams will be formed, where we will play or when exactly it will start," said the player with a moderate experience of playing at the highest level. "At the same time, the money involved is too much to ignore. What we earn now will stop once our first-class career is over. It would mean going back to ordinary middle-class living after that. Since many of us don't have the motivation to do well in Ranji Trophy and win back our India place anymore, accepting the ICL offer would make sense. It's an honest way of earning and it will secure our future. It's worth taking that risk." The organisers, however, were quick to mention there was no reason to be sceptical. "Our aim at the moment is to get the Twenty20 competition underway. Expansion plans are there but we will work on them gradually, since they are going to be part of a big, ongoing process," said Ashish Kaul, executive vice-president of Essel Group, the company behind the ICL. Where do we go from here? Another player with a few India caps, who says he has a "60-40" chance of giving the nod, felt there was more at stake. "The selectors don't even watch matches. Even the state association doesn't take up our case. There is no point continuing like this. If I join the ICL, I will be on TV, people will see what I am capable of. There are also talks of foreign trips and all that," said the player whose state has benefitted immensely from his performances but has never acknowledged it properly. This indifference of the administrators, said another player, was a major cause for dissent. "There is money but are we getting it? Forget that, our bosses know who are being approached by the ICL. Did they think it necessary to have a word with us or try to find out what's causing the discontent? It shows that either they are not bothered about cricket or not bothered about cricketers." This player added that ICL isn't bad for cricket, since it's not bad for cricketers. "It can be bad for those who run the board and indulge in all sorts of politics. If the ICL affects anyone adversely, it will be them. It's guaranteed that I will get a particular amount if I sign the contract. There is no guarantee that I will play all the games for my state in the next three years." Players are getting over this apprehension or dilemma each passing day and the ICL is gaining momentum. With an air of controversy about it, the media too is eagerly following it with all possible details. That way, the proposed first edition of the tournament has already created a lot of interest without trying too hard. The next few days will surely tell which way this event with the potential to turn Indian cricket upside down is headed. ________________________________________________ So there!!!!!