Quote of the day - Ravi Shastri

King

Now that is a classic sledging. :dance: Doesnt surprise me though. He is one sharp guy. Remember the time in International cricket when he was sledged by a substitute player? The player had supposedly said "if you leave the crease i'll break your f***ing head" . Shastri had calmly replied i: "if you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn't be the f***ing 12th man" top dude!:thumbs_up:

The best time to have crack at players whom you dont like at all , is when is he is messing it up all in the field. Then , the comments would seem humorous and not derogatory. Ravi knows this well. Prior has really made a fool of himself in this series. The irony is , he even said after the second test that he would continue all the chirping and its good for the game and all that bull. His batting chance in England's first innings is HUGELY important for him.

Who's your favorite commentator Donny? I know you can't stand Greg' date=' Ian, Mark Taylor and now Shastri.[/quote'] Good question mate. As I watch so much cricket, I supposed I'm exposed to commentary more than most. I realise viewers new to cricket need explanations of what's actually going on so I hear quite a lot of repitition. I harken back to Richie Benaud's thoughts on this subject. He says most commentators fall into the trap of 'radio' style commentary. They tend to forget the 'vision' part of television. I'm not sure if Henry Blofeld still does TV comms but he always made things interesting and often humourous. The ones you mentioned, and many others, are just so predictable and boring. Shastri isn't particularly annoying, like some - Cullinan, Barry Richards, Taylor, Greg Chappell, Terry Alderman etc. - he just says nothing thought provoking, humourous or insightful. Comms I've enjoyed: Blowers, Simpson, Boycott, Thommo, Donald, Lawry, Akram, Bogle, Agnew, Greiggy (only when he's on with Phanto because they are always revving each other up :regular_smile:) and Damien Fleming. I particularly like Flem, AD, Wasim and Thommo because it's clear they know what's going on and they keep it interesting.

No commentator should be looked at individually. Commentary is group effort and only if we have different types who can contribute different aspects of sports viewing to the T.V watcher , will the match be made interesting. Having 4 deeply articulate and excellently well-informed players in a commentary is almost guaranteed to kill the interest in the game. I have seen that the production team always go for commentators with the following skill sets. 1) One of the them would obviously be someone who can give thoughtful insights about the proceedings of the game with some really catchy phrases thrown in. Benaud , Boycott, Mark Nicholas , Bhogle , Atherton , Ian Bishop , Ian Chappell are some names that fall in this category 2) A distinguished past great. He might not be someone who is necessarily excellent with his commentating skills, but just his presence adds credibility to the team. Gavaskar , Sobers , Ian Chappell , Boycott , Imran Khan are all picked because they carry this huge respect with them 3) A Local - A series involving Bangladesh will surely involve a bangladeshi , even though most of their commentators are nothing but crap. Honestly , I could do better commentary than some of them. 4) The fun/humor/adrenaline part - This is a vital cog of the machine. The viewer needs be kept interested through periods of boring cricket. Also , there needs to be someone who can shout his throat out when things get really exciting. I personally wouldnt want Benaud to be commentating , when its a tense finish to a game. Tony Greig , David Lloyd , Dean Jones, Bill Lawry come in this group. My personal choice of the best commentating team would be Mark Nicholas + Ian Chappell + Boycott + Bill Lawry + Holding. I think this team is the perfect mix of cricketing knowledge, superb description skills, humor and sarcasm. The commentator I hate the most is Gavaskar. He knows nothing about the game except batting. People i feel should have never stepped into the commentary box in the first place - Ranatunga, Aravinda De Silva, Bob Willis , Aamir Sohail , Arun Lal , Charu Sharma , Atul Wassan , Maninder Singh, Jeff Dujon , Barry Richards , Ramiz Raja ( to an extent) and all of the Bangladesh guys.

No commentator should be looked at individually. Commentary is group effort and only if we have different types who can contribute different aspects of sports viewing to the T.V watcher , will the match be made interesting. Having 4 deeply articulate and excellently well-informed players in a commentary is almost guaranteed to kill the interest in the game. I have seen that the production team always go for commentators with the following skill sets. 1) One of the them would obviously be someone who can give thoughtful insights about the proceedings of the game with some really catchy phrases thrown in. Benaud , Boycott, Mark Nicholas , Bhogle , Atherton , Ian Bishop , Ian Chappell are some names that fall in this category 2) A distinguished past great. He might not be someone who is necessarily excellent with his commentating skills, but just his presence adds credibility to the team. Gavaskar , Sobers , Ian Chappell , Boycott , Imran Khan are all picked because they carry this huge respect with them 3) A Local - A series involving Bangladesh will surely involve a bangladeshi , even though most of their commentators are nothing but crap. Honestly , I could do better commentary than some of them. 4) The fun/humor/adrenaline part - This is a vital cog of the machine. The viewer needs be kept interested through periods of boring cricket. Also , there needs to be someone who can shout his throat out when things get really exciting. I personally wouldnt want Benaud to be commentating , when its a tense finish to a game. Tony Greig , David Lloyd , Dean Jones, Bill Lawry come in this group. My personal choice of the best commentating team would be Mark Nicholas + Ian Chappell + Boycott + Bill Lawry + Holding. I think this team is the perfect mix of cricketing knowledge, superb description skills, humor and sarcasm. The commentator I hate the most is Gavaskar. He knows nothing about the game except batting. People i feel should have never stepped into the commentary box in the first place - Ranatunga, Aravinda De Silva, Bob Willis , Aamir Sohail , Arun Lal , Charu Sharma , Atul Wassan , Maninder Singh, Jeff Dujon , Barry Richards , Ramiz Raja ( to an extent) and all of the Bangladesh guys.
That's a good way to look at it MM but i think Barry Richards and Dujon are alright. M Nicholas overall is a good commentator but goes a bit OTT, from sub continent Sanjay Manjeraker is the best one for mine.

One of the best what ? One too many what ? Beer, presumably. I don't drink beer. If you think RS is one of the best, you either haven't heard much cricket commentary or you are easily pleased. I've particularly noticed Atherton trying to stir him into saying something even mildly interesting but it just goes over Ravi's head. Hasn't got an ounce of humour and just states the obvious.