The Narendra Modi thread

1983-2011

The Narendra Modi thread  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

Modi shouldn’t be obdurate about apology http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/columns/b-s-raghavan/article3717973.ece/

It is immaterial where the instigation came from. The fact of murder, mayhem and arson is undisputed and indisputable. Equally so is the fact that they occurred under Modi’s watch. Apology doesn’t mean any personal stigma or indication of personal culpability. It simply means expressing, as a human being, unbounded sorrow for what happened and setting an example in nobility and humanity. It raises the stature of the person tendering the apology in the eyes of the world.

Talking about Power crisis and Gujarat's model "Olympics be dammed, we are going for gold elsewhere. India became the first country ever in human history, which managed to send 600 million people hurtling into darkness. We are at the doorstep of an energy emergency and whatever we do here onwards will be too-little-too-late unless we manufacture political will and take bold steps to stave off the crisis, at least in the long run. At the heart of the problem are six major interconnected problems: first, there is a significant fuel supply risk with Coal India which is unable to meet the demand and yet holds power producers in a happy "Stockholm Syndrome" captivity. One stark example illustrates the magnitude of the problem: in March 2012, CIL was to deliver 53 rakes of coal to Reliance's Rosa plant, but it actually delivered one rake! Dipping into its inventory helped Reliance stave off a crisis, but it came down to 12 hours coal inventory. Second, India adds an Australia in terms of population each year, yet our environmental priorities in terms of elephant corridors and tiger corridors continue to supersede human well-being. We neither get a wholesome environment nor sufficient energy to meet human needs and fail on both fronts, and the patently illegal 'go-no-go' environment mechanism has locked in 40000 MW or about Rs 2 lakh crores of investors' money. Third, setting up a power plant involves 12 statutory and four non-statutory clearances, which takes about 5-7 years to complete. The uncertainty around it tosses every economic logic and calculation of any sane investor out of the window. Nowhere in the world does any investor work with such risk and uncertainty in the power sector as in India. Fourth, the cumulative debt of Indian power utilities is about $45 billion or almost 3% of India's GDP and that's humungous. About a decade ago, it stood at $4 bn when the Ahluwalia committee restructured the debt. We are now at 10X debt of where we were a decade ago. Till India keeps giving away free power to agriculture, but sweeps it under transmission and distribution losses in order to get half of it reimbursed by the government and doesn't have the political will to stop electricity theft, this number will keep rising. Just five states— J&K, Haryana, UP, MP and Tamil Nadu — account for 80% of the cash losses of the utilities and for aggregate technical and commercial losses anywhere between 35% to a whopping 70%! Fifth, the power evacuation infrastructure and transmission systems need not just significant investments but also private sector management. Lastly, accurate measurement of power consumed, small but pre-announced tariff increases every year, feeder segregation and implementation of a genuine open access regime that allows at least the high-value customers to have a choice of power supplier to pick from are fundamental to any serious puissant reform. Today, thanks to pliable regulators who are largely lapdogs of the government in power — with some honorable exceptions— open access is scrupulously eschewed by fixing unrealistic surcharges, which make it impossible for the private sector to supply power. The government has taken some positive steps in the last few months with it pushing CIL to increase production and commit to higher than the current 65% commitment and hopefully with a higher penalty for non-delivery. Several states like Tamil Nadu, Delhi, MP, Punjab have increased their tariffs by anywhere from 12% to 37% which is a step in the right direction. Next, the government needs to take a hard call and prioritize between energy and environment. We can't let environmental precautionism be converted into environmental 'talibanism'. India's first priority must be taking care of the energy needs of its people, rather than taking care of sundry animals. Thus mining must be allowed and reforestation can be done, hand-in-hand, in other areas to make up for the lost cover. And the environmental priorities shaped and funded by European countries with declining populations, and their NGOs cannot be the appropriate solution for a growing population like India. Gujarat, which faced exactly the same energy crises 10 years ago that most other states face today, has done every one of the reforms mentioned above, filed over 100,000 FIRs against power thieves, segregated its feeders and today has 24x7 three-phase power supply to all its 18000 villages. Do we need to reinvent the wheel at all? Why can't other states simply emulate the Gujarat model and adapt it with minor modifications? Is it asking for too much of our leadership to simply cut-paste the universally applauded success story of Gujarat? Is it really? (The author is an IAS officer. Views are personal)" http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/opinion/comments-analysis/power-crisis-six-steps-to-finding-light-in-the-darkness/articleshow/15360272.cms

Narendra Modi, titan in Gujarat but he canÃÕ win Delhi I donÃÕ know if you saw the results of the Headlines Today poll on the Gujarat Assembly election. The poll was conducted a couple of weeks ago and the results were released on October 4. The election is still some time away and the pollsters did their work before the campaign got into full swing. So yes, it is possible to argue that these responses and therefore, the results are premature and that things will change significantly between now and election day. Except that I donÃÕ think they will. The results of the poll confirm what most of us already feel intuitively. The BJP will win Gujarat with roughly the same number of seats as it has in the current Assembly (around 114-117). The Congress may win a couple of extra seats but basically, there is no improvement in the partyÃÔ performance. Keshubhai Patel will not make a significant difference to the election results and his party will find it hard to win more than a couple of seats. Further, Modi is the only political leader of any consequence in Gujarat. No other politician really shows up on the radar and Congress leaders have no presence at all in the state. Moreover, this will be a personal victory for Modi. Respondents offered overwhelming approval when it came to his performance and his own personality seemed more important than loyalty to the BJP when it came to assessing the factors that influenced the voting decision. The Congress will dispute these figures. I have heard Congress leaders say that voter fatigue has set in and that the people of Gujarat are getting fed up of Modi. I have also heard it said that Keshubhai will take away Patel votes and will act as a spoiler in many constituencies. The Congress view appears to be that Modi has the edge but that the race is much closer than these results suggest. I am not an astrologer and neither have I travelled through Gujarat recently so I wonÃÕ comment on the validity of the Congress assessment. But, as a general rule, I put my faith in pollsters who are relatively detached over politicians who have a stake in the outcome. So, I am taking the line that these results are accurate and that Modi will win Gujarat, not by a greater landslide, but in the same way that he won it the last time around. What does this mean for the national situation? ModiÃÔ supporters will treat the victory as proof of ModiÃÔ stature. They will argue that these results confirm what has long been suspected: that the Congress is on the slide. And they will push to make Modi the BJPÃÔ prime ministerial candidate, arguing that only he can lead the party to a victory at the next parliamentary elections. I can understand their sentiments. But I am not sure that a Gujarat victory can translate into a national mandate. First of all, there is no evidence to suggest that Modi can win elections outside of Gujarat. Of course he is popular within his own state but then we have seen many popular regional leaders through the decades: MGR, NTR, Mamata Banerjee, and even Naveen Patnaik, whose record in office rivals ModiÃÔ. While we admire regional leaders for their hold over their states, we donÃÕ necessarily believe that their popularity can win elections in other states. Certainly, this has been true of the BJP through the ages. AB Vajpayee was from Gwalior but he avoided being seen as a regional leader and contested elections from all over the country. LK Advani may have got into Parliament from Gujarat but he is no regional leader. His stature is national. Sushma Swaraj is not seen as a Haryana politician. Arun Jaitley has only the most tenuous connection with the politics of the Delhi Assembly or of Punjab. The BJP has always taken the line that national leaders must be above regional politics. And even when there have been popular regional leaders within the party, they have rarely been given a national role. For instance, two BJP chief ministers of Rajasthan B.S. Shekhawat and more recently, Vasundhara Raje have been all-powerful in their states. But the Rajasthan politician who achieved national prominence was Jaswant Singh, who routinely finds it difficult to win elections in his own state. Those who believe that Modi should become leader of the BJP at a national level challenge the very foundations of the BJPÃÔ leadership policy. Not unnaturally, BJP leaders are quick to point out that Modi has not demonstrated that he is a great vote-winner in other states. When he has campaigned for BJP candidates outside of Gujarat, the results have been mixed. Certainly, there is nothing to suggest that ModiÃÔ endorsement guarantees victory outside of Gujarat. This distinction is crucial because the campaign to make Modi Prime Minister hinges on numbers. The BJP recalls that when AB Vajpayee formed his 13-day government, no coalition was possible because the BJP simply did not have a large enough presence in Parliament. On the other hand, once the BJP improved its tally, Vajpayee was able to form a government with the support of allies. This experience has led to the view that with 140 seats, the BJP will not be able to impose its will or its Prime Minister on potential allies. But once the party has 180 seats, the allies will have to fall in line and accept the BJPÃÔ prime ministerial candidate even if that candidate is Narendra Modi. There are two problems with this argument. The first is that I am not sure that even a BJP with 180 MPs could find the 100 or so MPs it needs from other parties to form a government if it says Modi will be Prime Minister. (After I appeared on Headlines Today to discuss the poll results, Sanghis tweeted that I had said that Modi would have no difficulty becoming PM if the BJP got 180 seats. I was also supposed to have said that the Congress would get 19 per cent of the total votes which would come from Muslims. Though the Sanghis went berserk, tweeting these alleged statements to each other, I had actually said neither of these things. Joseph Goebbels is alive and well and wearing khakhi chaddis? Where would these MPs come from? We can rule out Mamata Banerjee and Nitish Kumar. Even if Chandrababu Naidu or Jagan Reddy win enough seats to contribute to an NDA coalition, neither can accept Modi as Prime Minister without kissing their Muslim vote bases goodbye. Bal Thackeray has already said that he prefers Sushma Swaraj as Prime Minister over Modi. I doubt if Naveen Patnaik, who is a decent and honourable man, would support a government headed by Modi. So, who then would help make up the numbers? The Akalis perhaps. Jayalalitha, almost certainly. And perhaps a few others. But does that add up to the 100 or so MPs who will be required? I am not sure it does. Besides, how will the BJP win 180 seats on its own? So far at least, even those polls that suggest that the BJP will do better than the Congress do not give the party anything like that figure. ModiÃÔ supporters say that there is a way around this. If the party declared that Modi would be its prime ministerial candidate, then this would consolidate the Hindu vote and help the BJP reach 180. This may or may not be true, but so far at least there is no hard evidence to support this faith in ModiÃÔ vote-winning abilities outside of Gujarat. Plus, there is a second factor. One reason why the Congress has fared so badly in recent times is because it has lost much of the Muslim vote. Would the prospect of Narendra Modi as Prime Minister terrify Muslims enough for them not to fritter their votes away on regional parties but to vote as a bloc in favour of the Congress? The Congress certainly believes it would. And privately, some Congressmen say that the only way their party can return to power is if the BJP declares that Narendra Modi will be its prime ministerial candidate. Even before the Muslim vote is consolidated, such leaders as Nitish Kumar will refuse to enter into seat-sharing arrangements with the BJP, thereby affecting the BJPÃÔ overall tally. And Mamata Banerjee is unpredictable enough to return to the Congress fold in the event of such a development. So, hereÃÔ where we stand: the Congress is wrong. Modi is still the titan of Gujarat politics. He will win the forthcoming Assembly elections. But no, that victory will not bring him any nearer to Race Course Road. Hindustan Times

Will be good for BJP if Modi actually loses. Many parties will be ready to be its allies if Modi is out of the picture
there is no chance of Modi losing the election. But yeah, with Modi as PM candidate (if that does happen) many parties will be reluctant to join NDA.

there is no chance of Modi losing the election. But yeah' date=' with Modi as PM candidate (if that does happen) many parties will be [b']reluctant to join NDA.
I am no fan of Modi, but how is he any worse than the massively corrupt and unsecular to boot Congress considering 1984 sikh riots legacy?!?

Not really true. Modi is probably the only hope of BJP and perhaps India as well currently.
I don't know about India but as far as the BJP is concerned, making him the PM candidate will be the single biggest mistake they can ever make. Some of the reasons for that can be aptly summed up in this post by The Outsider - Link apart from all that, there's obviously the factor of Muslims being polarized against him and worse still (for NDA) many parties who right now may be hesitent to go with the UPA for the 2014 elections will get a ready made excuse for joining the UPA.

Making Modi PM candidate will ensure that BJP doesn't form govt again in future' date= no matter how worse the Congress govt becomes. It will effectively be license for Congress to loot more.
That's not gonna happen. Recently BJP chief Gadkari made a statement woo Muslim voters... I think BJP has realised that it needs support of many political parties in future.. So Modi will stay in Gujrat for long time..

My focus is Gujarat, talk of PM race is media creation, says Narendra Modi

Rajdeep Sardesai: Sir just like a reporter wants to become an editor one day, even a chief minister would want to become PM one day. So I am asking very seriously, do you think that you are sending a message across to your voters that if they vote for you and help you win by a majority, India will have a PM from Gujarat? Narendra Modi: BJP will win by a huge margin in Gujarat in 2012, which will be even better and bigger than the previous victories. And post that victory, my entire focus will be on Gujarat nirman… on fulfilling my dream of a 'divya, bhavya Gujarat'. My entire energy will be spent on that
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/my-focus-is-gujarat-talk-of-pm-race-is-media-creation-says-narendra-modi/299970-3-238.html :haha: Some epic trolling going on here!

Not a surprise considering your penchant for NaMo. :winky2:
. . .
NaMo Interview - Sardesai's Sheer Incompetence
I havenÃÕ seen too many gaffes from Narendra Modi while speaking to reporters. But it only proves he is as much a ÅÎango man like any of us. In his interview to Rajdeep Sardesai (at 15.58) NaMo called Rajdeep: Å´arkardesai or Å´arkadardesai? The audio cackles but IÃÎ positive itÃÔ one of those two words. ThatÃÔ a welcome gaffe though. Rajdeep Sardesai (RS) is often fondly called ŵurdesai? Å´lurdesai or even Å´ardardesai? What is serious, though, is his interview with Modi is disappointing. Why? Because despite what borders on hate-campaign against Modi, be it when Rajdeep was in StarNews, NDTV or now in CNN-IBN, Modi has spoken to him quite often. ItÃÔ disappointing, also because RS had a great chance to ask some very valid and probing questions to Modi. He screwed up! Like a third rate reporter RS landed up in ModiÃÔ campaign bus without much homework, without much fact-checking. He could get away with any other politician with this but when you get a rare chance to interview Modi you need to make the most of it. FAIL. RS, you see, is too used to mindless and meaningless debates and frequently interviewing guttermouths like Digivijay. In the process he has neither discovered nor practiced the skill of good interviewing. RS has for too long been talking to politicians full of trash and nonsense that makes Rajdeep look intelligent; people who dish out Å»ero Loss or ÅÎother earth? However, Modi, like a well-informed auditor seems to have facts, data and information on everything in Gujarat, including small districts, at his finger-tips. In contrast Rajdeep brings the same foolish style of interviewing as he would employ with a Diggy, Sibal, RenukaC or Teesta. I stated in an earlier post: ŵhose who are used to crumbs are not likely to possess the nose of a hound? You can guess what RS is used to. So come along with me, letÃÔ look at some bits and pieces from this shoddy interview (edited excerpts in blue). RS: But Modiji, Swami Vivekanand was a saintly person You are using his name to garner support amongst the people, that's what your opponents say. NM: As I told you already, we are celebrating this year as the Yuva Varsh. And it was not I who decided that the 150th anniversary of Swami Vivekanand would fall this year. It was decided 150 years ago. So it's not my fault that it fell this year. Peddling some ÅÑersonal rant as a question is the serious problem with our media crooks. This is a nation inspired by saints. So what exactly is RajdeepÃÔ problem? Morons who cannot raise a single question to the issue of over 450 schemes, projects, roads, monuments, metro stations named and used for electoral gains by the Nehru-Gandhi clan are so worried that Swami VivekanandaÃÔ name is being used for political gains. See homework? RS: But I am talking about now. Now that the elections are imminent, aren't you focusing more on Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh than on Swami Vivekanand? Is Sonia Gandhi or MMS RajdeepÃÔ aunty or father in law that worries him? Umm.. letÃÔ see is there an appropriate time or place to rake up issues on SoniaG or MMS? Will Rajdeep decide when the right is time to raise the questions? Who gave such a right to this divine comic? Incompetence! RS: The PMO did clarify that only Rs 3 lakh were spent on Sonia Gandhi's foreign trips. You had offered to apologise if the figure you quoted - that of Rs 1880 crore - and the newspaper reports were proven wrong. ThatÃÔ right, RS and his gang is so used to crumbs thrown to them by PMO or the govt (like zero loss or mother earth) that they donÃÕ bother to check the accuracy of their statements. Would anyone really believe only 3 lakhs were spent on SG travels? Is RS such an irredeemable idiot? Has he ever asked which airline she uses, who provides her aircrafts for travels? In any case this is not interviewing, this is "phishing" for sound-bites and headlines. RS: Modiji you have said that your election campaign will revolve around Swami Vivekanand and focus on development. So what made you attack Sonia Gandhi, nearly three months after the reports on expenditure incurred on her foreign visits were published? Question is, what stopped the media asking these questions. Why should it even take Modi to ask them? Cowards who prostrate in front of the Gandhi family now also want other parties and politicians to stop asking questions of SoniaG. IsnÃÕ that lovely? The Vivekanand campaign ended on October 11, so should Modi stop his campaign? Does campaign on development mean not asking any question on wasteful expenditure or non-disclosures by the centre? Incompetence! RS: SoniaG, during her rally in Saurashtra, raised the issue of water supply. She said that the water of Narmada was yet to be made available to that region? NM: You should be aware of a show that your channel ran two years ago on the amazing methods of water conservation and usage in Gujarat. RS: Yes, yes It was on dry land farming. Again, SoniaG raised the issue Sonia this, Sonia that! What is this guy? SoniaGÃÔ broker or PR agent? DoesnÃÕ he have any questions of his own? And even when he asks the question he forgets homework on a report his own channel had done. Incompetence! RS: The Congress government leveled some charges regarding land allotments against you for which you set up the MB Shah Commission. NM: See, Justice Shah is a respected SC judge. And he found out that one of the land allotments, that the Congress alleged was a Rs 65,000 crore scam, was made in 1983, when the Congress was in power. So the Shah Commission said that if this former Congress chief minister were to know the allegations leveled against him by his own party, he would be really disappointed. Now, every time Manish Tiwari or Sibal screamed about land scam in Gujarat did RS ever ask them that this particular scam was under a Congress CM? Did he even read the Justice Shah report at all before asking such a stupid question? Stupid, because the Shah Commission has already cleared Modi of any wrong-doing. No homework, Incompetence! Slapped again! RS: Sir how do you perceive SoniaG's attack on you in 2007 when she called you 'maut ka saudagar' referring to 2002 riots. You are still targeted because of this. How do you perceive such attacks? NM: I give my best wishes to the RS, that he has been harping on this issue for the past 10 years, that he gets his daily bread by harping on this issue. RS: No, there is nothing like that NM: You have to listen. This is where Modi told RS:Å´unna padega bhai.. tumhari roji roti mujhe gaali dene se chalti hai" . Translated: You have to listen.. you earn your daily bread by abusing me. Slapped, again! RS: My final question. I know you don't like it but it is something that your opponents feel and talk about. I know you see me as your opponent. But I am a political analyst. (Haha! He forgot to add Numero Uno). My question is that people feel that Narendra Modi must apologise for the 2002 riots if he has to become the Prime Minister of the country. Your message to them What would you like to say to those people? NM: I said that those people who earn their daily bread out of criticising me, and are awarded for the same, they have my best wishes. RS: I did receive the Padma Shri but that was for journalism. So you are not going to answer that question of mine? Regarding your apology for the 2002 riots. Haha! I wish that were true. Yeah.. even Barkha Dutt has received a Padma Shri. Oh even Shekhar Gupta (the Army coup guy) has received one. What about that DLF guy? DLF is so much in the news lately. Even the head of DLF Kushalpal Singh received a Padma Bhushan. His terminology for bribing: ÅÇacilitate speedy disposal to Shekhar Gupta is actually worthy of a Nobel Prize. RS received Padma Shri for journalism! Poonam Pandey is more honest about her pursuits. Post the interview RS held a debate, as usual, over his monumental achievement. One of the panellists said Narendra Modi holds many important portfolios and doesnÃÕ delegate. RS should think about that, it actually applies more to him. Any given day, Anubha Bhonsle or Suhasini Haider would have conducted a much better interview. But the media celebs too live under the notion that only they are qualified to conduct such interviews. A miserable RS who canÃÕ speak one coherent sentence without stuttering, stammering and without homework is hardly the right guy to interview a sharp politician. In the entire interview RS had nothing to really ask, especially nothing that was not already discussed in the media for days and months. Not much about Gujarat, not much about development. Nothing! All he wanted like a broken record was talk about 2002, his personal wet dreams of ÅÂpology and, of course, acting a broker for Sonia Gandhi. In a 23-minute interview (excluding other visuals) Sonia was mentioned 21 times because of RSÃÔ questions. ThatÃÔ almost once every minute! Was RS from CNN-IBN or SoniaÃÔ stable? Students of journalism should definitely watch this interview video to learn what stupid things they should not do. To do their homework and to ask questions that really matter and not poke around with some personal agenda. In 10 years Rajdeep hasnÃÕ been able to fool Narendra Modi. Worse, he hasnÃÕ been able to fool the public either. I have modest advice for him: Stick to interviewing Digvijay and Teesta, you wonÃÕ get slapped and wonÃÕ have your moronery exposed.
http://www.mediacrooks.com/2012/10/namo-interview-sardesais-sheer.html#.UHna8sXm7ak