Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

I wish people in Apple were just as innovative when it comes to branding. First they named the company Apple because no one could come up with a better name than that, including the great Steve Jobs himself. He named the company Apple, because he was eating an apple at that time. Then of course came the branding of the century - the iPad. When it was first announced, some thought that Apple was entering the sanitary napkins market, with some breakthrough technology in menstrual hygiene. Then of course women were shocked to find that it was not a product for their periods, but it was a product to keep their husbands/boyfriends occupied during their periods and to give them the patience to bear the mood-swings. I wonder who first suggested the name and how they discussed the branding before freezing it. I hope it was not named for the same reason the company was named Apple. Whats next? iTampon?

I wish people in Apple were just as innovative when it comes to branding. First they named the company Apple because no one could come up with a better name than that, including the great Steve Jobs himself. He named the company Apple, because he was eating an apple at that time.
Not true - a myth.

Not necessarily true. As for enthusiasm of lining up in the queue for THE new iPod7.6S. A true music lover, does not need (every) next version of iPod. It smells more of superficiality, herd/cult-mentality, than deep/true love for music. Also, a true learned user - will not take the pains to stand up in the queue before the actual market feedback. Those pre-release herd-ings are what gives bad rep (IMO) to apple products, among true-geeks/honest-consumers of technology.
I agree to this part - There's no way in the world why you should pre-order stuff from any company Amazon/Apple/Google before waiting for relevant feedback. That said, we shouldn't club such people with others who truly make a decision after incorporating feedback.

You missed the keywords "ideally, should..."
Those words do not modify the point you were making. You said if I feel joy from product then it's about me and not the product. That's where you were wrong. Let me explain why, if you said, give an ipad to a human and a dog and you will find the human will get more joy from it than the dog, therefore it's a function of being human and not of the ipad. Except that's not the premise at all.
There are/have-been adults, who must have had as much joy(most likely more and purer) tweaking bits and bytes on VT100 console - as compared to someone "downloading/playing new apps on new shiny iPhone everyday".
Baba, I've been that guy. But this isn't about outlier users. It's about the average user. The average user does not use a development studio. This will come as a shock to all the geeks who are adding to the sample bias in this discussion. Companies do not design products around you. They make it for people who do not code for a living, who do not care for pulling a product apart. Just like cars aren't made for gearheads and mechanics. They are aimed at all kinds of users, but they are never designed for people who like modding.
I was not countering the Apple's design efforts in designing to catch eyes of its product users. I just said - ideally - the joy/enthusiasm has to come from how/what you want to use the product, and not which product you want to use. So, like every other expensive toy - novelty factor (must) wear off. After that it is upto the user, and what he does with it - esp in matters of joy/enthusiasm.
And the joy of an ipad or iphone or ipod does not come from the apps, just like the joy of an ipod does not come from the latest hit. Apple cannot take credit for great music. They can take the credit for coming up with a fun way of scanning, filtering and picking songs to listen to with the round button. Out went the discrete play/pause, fwd, rwd, stop buttons and in came a new paradigm. Remember how crap it was to scan through a thousand song playlist in an ordinary mp3 player before? And again with the thinking that design is about appearance. lulz so by that narrow-minded definition the intelligent design theory is concerned with just how things look in nature.

crux of the matter. True geeks, honest & learned consumers - do not like to be part of herds :).
lol. don't look now, but you just created a herd by definition. You are defining what is known as a hipster. Being a rebel for the sake of it. There is no objective basis for liking something. Your favourite band stops being your favourite band because they become famous not because they stopped making music you like. And the irony of it is that windows users are calling mac users a herd. :D

I wish people in Apple were just as innovative when it comes to branding. First they named the company Apple because no one could come up with a better name than that, including the great Steve Jobs himself. He named the company Apple, because he was eating an apple at that time. Then of course came the branding of the century - the iPad. When it was first announced, some thought that Apple was entering the sanitary napkins market, with some breakthrough technology in menstrual hygiene. Then of course women were shocked to find that it was not a product for their periods, but it was a product to keep their husbands/boyfriends occupied during their periods and to give them the patience to bear the mood-swings. I wonder who first suggested the name and how they discussed the branding before freezing it. I hope it was not named for the same reason the company was named Apple. Whats next? iTampon?
#truestory :two_thumbs_up:

lol. don't look now, but you just created a herd by definition. You are defining what is known as a hipster. Being a rebel for the sake of it. There is no objective basis for liking something. Your favourite band stops being your favourite band because they become famous not because they stopped making music you like. And the irony of it is that windows users are calling mac users a herd. :D
The mishhhtake you are making is, that some people not be tied to a brand. They are use-case based users. :finger:

My little cousin asked me the other day when the zombie apocalypse will come. I told her that it has already started. The only difference is that instead of the T-virus, it's the iVirus that is infecting people. Instead of the umbrella corporation, it was developed in the laboratories of the Apple corporation. Once infected, the victims turn into zombie-like creatures, they lose their ability of logical reasoning, spend their life savings in costly products and updates, become snobbish, build their own community and do everything in their capacity infect the others. But don't worry, we will find a cure, even though the evil Apple corporation is busy filing frivolous lawsuits against all those developing an antidote/cure, desperately trying to stop them, we will find the cure soon enough and heal all those who are infected.

My little cousin asked me the other day when the zombie apocalypse will come. I told her that it has already started. The only difference is that instead of the T-virus, it's the iVirus that is infecting people. Instead of the umbrella corporation, it was developed in the laboratories of the Apple corporation. Once infected, the victims turn into zombie-like creatures, they lose their ability of logical reasoning, spend their life savings in costly products and updates, become snobbish, build their own community and do everything in their capacity infect the others. But don't worry, we will find a cure, even though the evil Apple corporation is busy filing frivolous lawsuits against all those developing an antidote/cure, desperately trying to stop them, we will find the cure soon enough and heal all those who are infected.
Yes, trolling is the way. try harder. :two_thumbs_up:

Little Cousin - My teach taught me "An Apple a day keeps a doctor away. You are very bad." :hehe:

you should give her your galaxy Tab...she will never ask u about apocalypse :giggle:

Not necessarily true. As for enthusiasm of lining up in the queue for THE new iPod7.6S. A true music lover, does not need (every) next version of iPod. It smells more of superficiality, herd/cult-mentality, than deep/true love for music. Also, a true learned user - will not take the pains to stand up in the queue before the actual market feedback. Those pre-release herd-ings are what gives bad rep (IMO) to apple products, among true-geeks/honest-consumers of technology.
A true learned user will know compared to any other companies Apple products will be have very few glitches ... do u know the pre release hype generated by Galaxy S3 ?? every one following Apple even in genrating hype.. even MS generated lot of hype during Surface tablet unvieling - they done whats they are best at - surface crashed during presentation :hysterical:
Its been a mantra ever since Microsoft first launched Windows: Your computer will always fail you at the time you need it most. And many of us will have led presentations when Powerpoint suddenly crashes or your computer forces a restart, leading to a litany of four-letter words. But spare a thought for Steven Sinofsky, the President of Windows and Windows Live Division. He introduced Microsoft's latest weapon in the technology war - the Surface tablet - to an excited crowd in Hollywood yesterday. But - right in the middle of his talk - the tablet appeared to crash, leading to an excruciating 20 seconds as he talked around the hiccup, before popping behind the podium to grab a luckily-prepared backup.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2162027/Microsofts-Surface-tablet-crashes-stage--repeat-Bill-Gates-Windows-98-blue-screen-death-moment.html

Lol..now you are just trolling:giggle:

that's irrelevant. You are on this thread defending the pc side and for you to talk of the iphone and ipad (why only apple products) as toys means you are making a point. It's even funny that you intend it as a pejorative term personally, i think it's a great thing about it that you think of it as a toy, that it's something you play with as a user. That's a wonderful thing for any product development team to hear. In fact, this is one of the factors jobs worked assiduously to inject in every apple product. That it should be fun, fill a user with childish glee and enthusiasm when interacting with the product. So yes, apple products are toys and that's why they make a difference in the world.
I am not defending PC . I am amused at those who suggest "PC users are stuck with a machine that is so far behind Mac". In reality it is not true. But lot of Mac fans don't want to admit it. About the toy thing.... i didn't say iphone , ipad alone is toy. All tablets are toys. That is just my opinion.

but here most of the people who buy these gadgets are aware of the product' date='how[b'] it works,which one suits them better... so whenever a anticipated product launched out they will be obviously feel child like enthusiasm mainly because of anticipation of product from the launch date to the actual sale date ...nothing wrong in that... people laugh @ que in front of Apple stores during a major product release...but for the people who stand in que its a event,time for having fun , some social bonding etc
That is my criteria as well. It does the job for me. Compatibility, price are two other things that helped my case. After seeing my expensive thinkpad getting outdated in about 3 or 4 years i decided not to throw so much money in laptops as i am a heavy desktop user who loves big screen (24 inches, 27 inches... etc). It was pretty powerful configuration even when i bought 2 years back.

I am not defending PC . I am amused at those who suggest "PC users are stuck with a machine that is so far behind Mac". In reality it is not true. But lot of Mac fans don't want to admit it. About the toy thing.... i didn't say iphone ' date= ipad alone is toy. All tablets are toys. That is just my opinion.
And you say you are not defending PCs? :cantstop: