Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

That is the story of virtually every business. Google made a fortune out of PPC, it was invented by someone else and was first adapted by Yahoo, long before Google adapted it. Do you think they shared their fortune with the man who invented it? They just sat on the golden goose, in your language. Apple made a fortune out of touch screen phones. Do you think they went looking for the man who invented it? When Bill Gates said he wanted to see a computer in every household, everyone laughed at him. But through MS he realized that dream. Windows crated and cultivated the technology revolution in the 90s, building the very foundation of a platform that companies like Apple stand on today. Do you know when the first Mac came in, it was so complex, Apple could not market it. Years later, when the common men became tech-savvy using MS's simple UI that more complex machines started finding it possible to create a reasonably large market for themselves. So, again, do not belittle MS's role in the technology revolution in the 90s.
let us not go to origin of computer/software etc...Bill gates may have dreamed but its not his concept , Jobs dreamed for a PC same time / even before that...again GUI is not Jobs idea its Xerox idea , because of its stupid bosses at that time Apple got licence.. all these people done was inspired/copied/stole ideas.... what my post was about MS sit on ist software beacuse its populer,used in most companies , who cant change it now even if competetion is better because of scale... while Apple ventured out into different domain [iPhones,iPod,iPads etc] and created highly succesful products... do u think MS didnt tried what Apple done...but they failed miserably

I don't get Linnux- all tech savy and IT ppl swear by it and everyone loves the open source code but how will it ever get popular with masses who don't know anything about coding or software and just need soemthing out of the box:hmmm::hmmm:

I don't get Linnux- all tech savy and IT ppl swear by it and everyone loves the open source code but how will it ever get popular with masses who don't know anything about coding or software and just need soemthing out of the box:hmmm::hmmm:
After all it is free. :winky: . You can't beat that.

let us not go to origin of computer/software etc...Bill gates may have dreamed but its not his concept ' date= Jobs dreamed for a PC same time / even before that...again GUI is not Jobs idea its Xerox idea , because of its stupid bosses at that time Apple got licence.. all these people done was inspired/copied/stole ideas.... what my post was about MS sit on ist software beacuse its populer,used in most companies , who cant change it now even if competetion is better because of scale... while Apple ventured out into different domain [iPhones,iPod,iPads etc] and created highly succesful products... do u think MS didnt tried what Apple done...but they failed miserably
lol....So Jobs lost round 1, and by a very large margin, eh?

Ubuntu works out of the box and you dont need to be tech-savvy at all. Its just the image that Linux has got over the years. Some other distros are difficult to get up and running though - like Gentoo.

lol....So Jobs lost round 1' date=' and by a very large margin, eh?[/quote'] Thats why i put current market caps of companies :giggle: u lose sometime for various reasons..... Jobs cppied/stole ideas from xerox.....Gates copied/stole from Jobs Gates won becuase he didnt have Job's mad ambition of giving a total product ie Software/hardware nor control freakness.... But at the end people will decide who is bigger visionary....

Thats why i put current market caps of companies :giggle: u lose sometime for various reasons..... Jobs cppied/stole ideas from xerox.....Gates copied/stole from Jobs Gates won becuase he didnt have Job's mad ambition of giving a total product ie Software/hardware nor control freakness.... But at the end people will decide who is bigger visionary....
Gates won in the 90s because he knew what he was doing. Jobs and Clark (Wish more people knew him, he was a very key player in those days and has contributed immensely) gave their best, but lacked business sense. Having an idea and doing a business on that idea by commercializing it are two different things. Gates passed the litmus test showing he was better in doing business with the ideas at that time. Both Jobs and Clark attempted the same thing, Gates won, prospered, made history. Steve Jobs lacked self-confidence when it came to business and marketing abilities (by his own admission). That is the reason why he spent so much time, money and went through all that pain with John Scully. It was only when Bill Gates had shown the way and had prepared the world that Jobs could make way with his products.

Yes absolutely after all Bill Gates had nailed the music selling industry, the music player, the smartphone and the tablet business. Steve Jobs just followed Gates business skills. :laugh: Idk from where these gems come from.
From you. No one else made that claim.

Steve Jobs lacked self-confidence when it came to business and marketing abilities (by his own admission). That is the reason why he spent so much time, money and went through all that pain with John Scully. It was only when Bill Gates had shown the way and had prepared the world that Jobs could make way with his products.
Your claim - Bill Gates showed the way for Jobs

Why is this being reduced to a peronality contest? Let's stick to the product. To answer vvs, low-cost is not equal to bad product. I didn't claim otherwise. Expect in the topic under discussion the cheaper option and the shabbiest and most frustrating user experience happens to be the same product.

Why is this being reduced to a peronality contest? Let's stick to the product. To answer vvs, low-cost is not equal to bad product. I didn't claim otherwise. Expect in the topic under discussion the cheaper option and the shabbiest and most frustrating user experience happens to be the same product.
Not really. You are entitled to your views according to your own experiences with windows, but the majority of the world doesnt find it a frustrating experience. Sure, it doesnt have the bling of Mac or robustness of Linux, but you are selling it way short here, Windows is very much a usable and offers great user experience for the cost at which the PCs come. A 15inch PC costs around 40K while a 15'' MBP costs close to 1 lakh. Now does a MBP have a better build quality than a PC - yes it does. Is the gap large enough to justify the price difference - Certainly not.

Not really. You are entitled to your views according to your own experiences with windows, but the majority of the world doesnt find it a frustrating experience. Sure, it doesnt have the bling of Mac or robustness of Linux, but you are selling it way short here, Windows is very much a usable and offers great user experience for the cost at which the PCs come. A 15inch PC costs around 40K while a 15'' MBP costs close to 1 lakh. Now does a MBP have a better build quality than a PC - yes it does. Is the gap large enough to justify the price difference - Certainly not.
Exactly. Majority of the world cannot spend senselessly and do want more functions than just internet browsing, thereby the answer is Windows.

Your claim - Bill Gates showed the way for Jobs
That was way back in 90s. And it's not my claim. Jobs himself admitted that he lacked the confidence to market the products and that's why he hired John Scully to do the marketing part while he wanted to dedicate himself exclusively to development of products. It was only later that he decided to lead marketing himself. I have read his books.

Steve Jobs lacked self confidence for business. :rofl: It's one thing to be a fan totally something else to be in oblivion.

I may be in minority here. But desktop is my primary computer. Laptop is for office use and other light use of internet browse. Even after 12 years (my first laptop) i still hate laptop style keyboard. I can't give up my external keyboard. Only laptop i love so dearly is IBM thinkpad (Lenovo for the last few years). This is an ultimate machine. I would not trade any macbook or any other laptop for a Thinkpad. What a rugged machine that is. I am not a delicate user. I abuse a lot. just search for Thinkpad crash test on youtube.. They do some insane testing on it. I myself have done my own crash testing albeit inadvertently. Passed with flying colors.

That was way back in 90s. And it's not my claim. Jobs himself admitted that he lacked the confidence to market the products and that's why he hired John Scully to do the marketing part while he wanted to dedicate himself exclusively to development of products. It was only later that he decided to lead marketing himself. I have read his books.
The only thing Steve ever did has marketing. He was a showman. After this statement I'm sure you haven't read Walter Isaacson. Read and you will know why your comment is ridiculed.

Not really. You are entitled to your views according to your own experiences with windows, but the majority of the world doesnt find it a frustrating experience.
Ok, then. Tell me a shabbier experience.
Sure, it doesnt have the bling of Mac or robustness of Linux, but you are selling it way short here, Windows is very much a usable and offers great user experience for the cost at which the PCs come.
You haven't stopped judging Macs on their vastly superior looks alone. Don't you think that's understating the case for Macs. Design improves how the user OS dynamic is built, its not just about the body. All the awards for design are not for aesthetics alone but for intuitiveness and user friendliness.
A 15inch PC costs around 40K while a 15'' MBP costs close to 1 lakh. Now does a MBP have a better build quality than a PC - yes it does. Is the gap large enough to justify the price difference - Certainly not.
When you pay for a better charger you are not just paying for the parts you are paying the people who put their minds to make something better. You are paying for having the manufacturer create a brand new workflow from the ground up for your OEM part instead of rolling them out on existing infrastructure which turns out to be dirt cheap because all the other buyers go with that option. And you are paying the guy who gives a feck about small things like magsafe connectors and multitap touchpads. I would want to be paid if I did it and I have no problem paying more for it. YMMV.

Gates won in the 90s because he knew what he was doing. Jobs and Clark (Wish more people knew him, he was a very key player in those days and has contributed immensely) gave their best, but lacked business sense. Having an idea and doing a business on that idea by commercializing it are two different things. Gates passed the litmus test showing he was better in doing business with the ideas at that time. Both Jobs and Clark attempted the same thing, Gates won, prospered, made history. Steve Jobs lacked self-confidence when it came to business and marketing abilities (by his own admission). That is the reason why he spent so much time, money and went through all that pain with John Scully. It was only when Bill Gates had shown the way and had prepared the world that Jobs could make way with his products.
Jobs and Gates are different personalities and have different idea's.... don't know how can Gates show way to Jobs who is determined to control both software and hardware while Gates satisfied with earnings from Software alone... Dont tell Jobs bought Scully because he lacked confidence what he wanted was a proven buseness leader to take care of operational side.. Jobs is a completely different sort of guy..people like him wont born every generation..love or hate you cant ignore him