Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

The only thing Steve ever did has marketing. He was a showman. After this statement I'm sure you haven't read Walter Isaacson. Read and you will know why your comment is ridiculed.
And he is a great marketer and a great showman. But you can not dispute the fact that there was a time he lacked the confidence. Look up Scully's time in Apple and read the books. There was huge controversy between scully and jobs. If you are bent on denying it, i cant do anything.

And he is a great marketer and a great showman. But you can not dispute the fact that there was a time he lacked the confidence. Look up Scully's time in Apple and read the books. There was huge controversy between scully and jobs. If you are bent on denying it' date=' i cant do anything.[/quote'] Did u read Walter Isacssons book...if Not read..you will come to know what kind of guy Jobs is. Scully as i already mentioned was bought mainly from operational perspective as Jobs and Woz are young and without any experience of running a company this is the Jobs question which supposedly bought Scully to Apple " Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?" do u think a guy will ask a such a question to a very successful VP of Pepsi during interview if he lack self confidence???

Did u read Walter Isacssons book...if Not read..you will come to know what kind of guy Jobs is. Scully as i already mentioned was bought mainly from operational perspective as Jobs and Woz are young and without any experience of running a company this is the Jobs question which supposedly bought Scully to Apple " Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?" do u think a guy will ask a such a question to a very successful VP of Pepsi during interview if he lack self confidence???
All I can say ia that you are wrongly informed about Scully's role in Aple. Cant really argue against ignorance.

All I can say ia that you are wrongly informed about Scully's role in Aple. Cant really argue against ignorance.
all i say to u is read the Book... don't just believe Scully's perspective is ultimate truth...

Only Apple toy i own is Iphone :) . It does the job for me. As far as ipod goes never owned one. ignoring small mp3 players big ones that i still own are 1) creative zen vision M 30 GB mp3 player. Bought 7 years back. Still working. Outstanding product. Any format video you put out it will play. no need of conversion. Audio quality was also great. 2) My second product is Sony walkman x1051. I never cared for browsing capabilites in an audio player. I just looked for pure sound. X1051 delivered great. A grade noise cancellation ear phone. Only downside if you want to use inbuilt noise cancellation you have to use the earphone they gave. But it was superb even on a plane. To go with great sound it has slacker radio, FM radio. 3) third one iphone. Sound is not bad for casual listening. Sony might be poorer in features. But in terms of sound quality, headphones it just blows away iphone. I have to say with rich sound technology behind Sony missed this market big time. Apple did some nice work to capture the market.

People arguing about Apple products are too expensive tell me a better and cheaper product when iPod launched ?? when iPad launched??
Yea. The fact I find funny is that people have hardly used a MacBook and are making comments like Walt Mossberg here.

I have to say with rich sound technology behind Sony missed this market big time. Apple did some nice work to capture the market.
that's another company which just sat on its laurels and stopped innovations/improvisations,,, real sad thing..they should have dominated music industry with the head start they had

that's another company which just sat on its laurels and stopped innovations/improvisations,,, real sad thing..they should have dominated music industry with the head start they had
They were competing within their departments. :facepalm: Also, they lost it in the digital era - creating better software.

Because I can give you numerous examples of products where similar ability in different brands is outmatched by better user experience. And no user experience doesn't mean feeling happy about paying less. That way a haier lcd owner can claim to have a better user experience than a bravia owner.
You just picked half of what I said. It was not about just paying less. There countless geeks who yearn for full control over the item they are supposed to be owner of. So - the experience part depends on the user and use-case.

Ok' date=' then. Tell me a shabbier experience. [/quote'] Using Windows is not a shabby experience :dontknow: Looks are a major factor in why the Mac sells. Bling plays an important role in generating the marketing hype and here is where PC's offer no competition. There is no way PCs are going to be mass marketed with that shiny exterior and ultra thin body. Take out the bling, the only thing where MacOS outscores linux and Windows is the usability. For stability and security, I would take Linux any day over the Mac. You install linux in a 4GB pen drive and take it to any PC and boot into your own OS. This kind of freedom for no cost is just amazing. For compatibility between all and sundry and the number of software written for it, Windows wins easily. Of course you get better hardware when you pay that much for that. If you pay 2.5 times more for the same hardware, it is a given that you are entitled to better build quality - be it in adapters, or touchpads. You take a high end alienware laptop and its build quality would be far better than that of the average 40K piece that Dell markets, and that still costs much lesser than a MBP. For me the additional build quality doesnt justify its price differential, for you it does. It entirely depends on individual's needs and what he considers better value for money.

That is the story of virtually every business. Google made a fortune out of PPC, it was invented by someone else and was first adapted by Yahoo, long before Google adapted it. Do you think they shared their fortune with the man who invented it? They just sat on the golden goose, in your language. Apple made a fortune out of touch screen phones. Do you think they went looking for the man who invented it? When Bill Gates said he wanted to see a computer in every household, everyone laughed at him. But through MS he realized that dream. Windows crated and cultivated the technology revolution in the 90s, building the very foundation of a platform that companies like Apple stand on today. Do you know when the first Mac came in, it was so complex, Apple could not market it. Years later, when the common men became tech-savvy using MS's simple UI that more complex machines started finding it possible to create a reasonably large market for themselves. So, again, do not belittle MS's role in the technology revolution in the 90s.
++ (and this is coming from a once linux fanboy /ms basher) I just finished a long 'memoir' of a PhD, shared by none other than mac lover, MS basher - local to this thread (mcenley) - and somewhere the author mentions, level of research/innovation in MS ( microsoft research) is at par, or may be even ahead of academia in some fields. How much of that translate into consumer products, is a different matter altogether.

value for money doesn't mean the product does not provide good user experience. At the end of the day it is upto individual to decide if it is worth investing that much money in a product that could become obsolete in a couple of years. Some buy a rock solid desktop or laptop or mac and be happy with 5 or 6 years. Some buy value for money machines and enjoy until they see next generation machines. I bought a thinkpad 5 or 6 years back. Those days 2 gb RAM, intel dual core was a high end laptop configurations.. I paid a lot of money for that. It still runs great. probably the best business laptop i have ever worked on. But if you compare with current laptops configuration is obsolete. So i decided from that point.. if at all i buy a laptop i would not pay a penny over 700$. 7 months back i bought the following configuration for 750$ for my friend in India How? I had discover card discount of 10% for purchase, then Dell offered a gift card promotion of for every 400$ gift card 75$ gift card, plus Dell offered another coupon too.. Can i get a machine for that price.. Dell XPS 17
This + user specific use-cases and in some cases not having to wait for 'mac' versions. e.g. I would like to see some satisfied hobbyist PC gamer - from mac world.

Yes absolutely after all Bill Gates had nailed the music selling industry' date= the music player, the smartphone and the tablet business. Steve Jobs just followed Gates business skills. :laugh: Idk from where these gems come from.
yet another example of tangential rambling - your trademark. How is that relevant to countering the claim that Gates won the initial battle? Can you even counter that? big lol at jokers dissing business sense (supported by concrete results) of Gates. Someone who reigned as world's richest, at some point of time....being dissed..by a bunch whose (and their next 7 generations)'s sum total worth will (almost) never be even 1% of Gates'....don't forget to adjust for time-value-of money, when calculating contributions of future generations.

Not really. You are entitled to your views according to your own experiences with windows' date=' but the majority of the world doesnt find it a frustrating experience. Sure, it doesnt have the bling of Mac or robustness of Linux, but you are selling it way short here, [b']Windows is very much a usable and offers great user experience for the cost at which the PCs come. A 15inch PC costs around 40K while a 15'' MBP costs close to 1 lakh. Now does a MBP have a better build quality than a PC - yes it does. Is the gap large enough to justify the price difference - Certainly not.
++ I never thought I would ever be defending windows. As, there was a time - (I still do)- the first thing I would do with my new desktop/laptop is to make it dual boot into Linux. Off recently, I have noticed that I rarely dual-boot into Linux - and my linux needs are well served with fedora/ubuntu in VirtualBox, or even cygwin. In general, pleasantly surprisingly, Windows 7 has been very much stable...sometimes not rebooting for months (hibernating with virtualboxes also booted!!). It also gives me freedom to play PC games, whenever I feel like. Two years back, I had horrible experience with one dell laptop, but last year I risked another one from dell, and luckily it has been total error free. So, mostly its due to hardware issues, and less due to the s/w. P.S. The kind of hardware configuration I was looking for, wasn't even available in MBP. Value for money + freedom (full ownership) constitutes good experience for me.

yet another example of tangential rambling - your trademark. How is that relevant to countering the claim that Gates won the initial battle? Can you even counter that? big lol at jokers dissing business sense (supported by concrete results) of Gates. Someone who reigned as world's richest, at some point of time....being dissed..by a bunch whose (and their next 7 generations)'s sum total worth will (almost) never be even 1% of Gates'....don't forget to adjust for time-value-of money, when calculating contributions of future generations.
First, learn to read the context completely phir kuud. The rest part of the post also exists. Gates paving the way for Jobs to overcome his non existent lack of self confidence and Jobs focusing in developing products.. :laugh:

Getting ticked off at both recently. Specially when deploying Enterprise wide solutions. Microsoft is the Wal-Mart of software companies, throwing out products as package that are too immature, screws up the entire eco-system, brings down the collective quality and ends up creating more problems that it promises to solve. It is also a key player in the whole "stack" world where you are either a SAP shop, or IBM or Oracle or well Microsoft. The product of one often does not work with the other. And how could they? Every company sends out an updated version every 2nd day it seems. Apple's product quality and creativity not withstanding they have been either so far behind the curve, or have been reluctant adopters of technology and often their products do not work with other industry leading solutions. So iPad does not work with Flash, because Steve Jobs had an ego clash with Adobe. What era is this? Is this coke-pepsi again? I have been recently engaged to deploy Mobile solution for enterprise wide rollout and both these mahanubhav companys are making me go nuts. The discussion is easy to settle on personal level, try rolling it on a company level.

Using Windows is not a shabby experience :dontknow: Yes. And guess what is the end benefit of having better designed, better built hardware? It makes a better more robust and reliable computing experience. If that's a decadent, frivolous luxury that you are willing to forego for all that windows offers that's up to your priorities.

First' date=' learn to read the context completely phir kuud. The rest part of the post also exists. Gates paving the way for Jobs to overcome his non existent lack of self confidence and Jobs focusing in developing products.. :laugh:[/quote'] Fact#1 Gates was better businessman (at the top of the world in fact), for a good period of time. Numbers speaks for themselves. Fact#2 Gates' dominance over MAC in 90s, has nothing to do with Apple's revolution in Music/iPhone/Tablet in following decade. two different decades, two different battles, different products also. So, bringing in points from 2000s, to prove/disprove some claim (however wrong) from 90s - is ridiculous to me. If you want to counter DK's statement by some evidence, it has to be from the same time period. Both were driven by different but successful philosophies (combined with execution), and that is the key reason, they dominated the other in different times...and dominated significantly.