Its the decision to bowl first...

Ram

I agree that 73 is below par but what do you do when you don't have anyone else performing in a lineup as consistently as the batsman who is giving you an average of 56 runs every game? You simply cannot drop your most consistent bat. Either find people who give you 45 at 80+ consistently or let him play.
Well how do u find people? By giving them chances? How do we know Rohit Sharma isnt that batsman? Ganguly and SRT hog the openers position. Opening is easier in ODI's (with the field restrictions and what not). If he scores slowly it adds pressure on others. Players like Karthik play at #7 so will always play under a lot more pressure. Its the chicken and the egg ... what comes first?
Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma to replace Ganguly and Tendulkar to start with. RD still has some life left .... and is versatile (i.e can bat anywhere). SRT is only happy when he opens. Ganguly is a waste of space and is there due to the Effigy makers. If we have to loose I would rather lsose with youngsters. Atleast they havce an upside!
Sorry. But I don't think either of these two are ready. We had seen what had happened to Raina in SA? Unless he can prove that he has worked on playing bouncing deliveries, I do not think he should get an entry into the team!!
Well how do u find people? By giving them chances? How do we know Rohit Sharma isnt that batsman? Ganguly and SRT hog the openers position. Opening is easier in ODI's (with the field restrictions and what not). If he scores slowly it adds pressure on others. Players like Karthik play at #7 so will always play under a lot more pressure. Its the chicken and the egg ... what comes first?
When Saurav Ganguly and Tendulkar were not in the team, how many openers did you find out?? It is amazing to see how you are willing to put all the pressure on the players who've not faced even one ball at international level!! What to talk of international level, Manoj Tiwary has not played anywhere apart from India even in A tours!! How can you throw such newbies to the wolves right away??

And how did your newbies performed, when your so called whatever were not in team?? How many openers did you unearth during England and WI tours last year??? And what were your results in WI??? Whom did you bash for those results--neither Sachin nor Saurav played in those matches!!

Chandan, The Maharathis dont fare great against the wolves or lambs anyway!
Indeed!! And you mean to say that all those 15000 runs and 10,000 runs came in loss?? Talk sense finey, for God's sake! You want to present India A team in front of international sides??
Chandan ' date=' you cant quantify the presence of youngsters in the team , by merely the runs they make or the wickets they take. They are investment for the future. Sometimes , investments take time to show returns.[/quote'] Certainly. And that should be done in a planned way. The whole investment in Kaif for 5 years was wasted because he failed to prove himself and proceed to become a senior. Investment in Sehwag has failed too, though temporarily (I hope) and because of this that the selectors had to turn back to Ganguly. Why no youngster could seal his place when these two senior players were out of the side? Why did Raina fail? We invested in him for more that one and a half years!! Why are these youngsters not invoking enough confidence in the selectors to go for them?? Is it Sachin or Saurav's fault?

So, why don't you go on bashing the selectors and the board who've no vision for future? Looks like your bashing of senior players is also without vision!! I repete the question if it escaped you: Why could an opener NOT seal place while these two were not playing??

Chandan, Indian cricket team is shying away from the transformation phase that most teams eventually have to get in to. Even the great Aussies went through this in the mid 80's. Our greats are now not getting any younger or better, we need to start phasing in youngsters with the knowledge that we will lose a few games more but will come out being wiser. IMO, investemnets in kaif, raina and Sehwag were not complete wastes. The three guys still have what it takes to succeed, Sehwag and Raina slipped off form at the wrong time. Also, not everyone is a genius as SRT was at his age, it was the mdeia's and our fault to start labeling him as India's savior, not every youngster can cope with so much pressure. Tewari, Sharma, Raina IMO hold the answer to the future, we need to give them more space and time to flurish. It will not happen till learn to take a few risks. Nostalgia is good, but only up to a point.

Chandan, Indian cricket team is shying away from the transformation phase that most teams eventually have to get in to. Even the great Aussies went through this in the mid 80's. Our greats are now not getting any younger or better, we need to start phasing in youngsters with the knowledge that we will lose a few games more but will come out being wiser. IMO, investemnets in kaif, raina and Sehwag were not complete wastes. The three guys still have what it takes to succeed, Sehwag and Raina slipped off form at the wrong time. Also, not everyone is a genius as SRT was at his age, it was the mdeia's and our fault to start labeling him as India's savior, not every youngster can cope with so much pressure. Tewari, Sharma, Raina IMO hold the answer to the future, we need to give them more space and time to flurish. It will not happen till learn to take a few risks. Nostalgia is good, but only up to a point.
Abhinav, Well articulated. Applause.
Sorry. But I don't think either of these two are ready. We had seen what had happened to Raina in SA? Unless he can prove that he has worked on playing bouncing deliveries, I do not think he should get an entry into the team!!
Madam, no one said that they are ready. But how will they get ready? The point is t hat we loose with the maharathis anyway. Why not INVEST in the future. Play the youngsters and let them grow. With our domestics the way it is, they arent going to get better playing domestics. Give them a chance now so we have time to let them grow before the next WC.
So, why don't you go on bashing the selectors and the board who've no vision for future? Looks like your bashing of senior players is also without vision!! I repete the question if it escaped you: Why could an opener NOT seal place while these two were not playing??
Who says we did not? Dosaman did rather well in the few opportunities he got. He failed in WI ... but so did SRT and SG. Ofcourse Dosa was demoted right away while the two maharathis are back. Here is the hypocracy. You have these seniors who are past their prime. They are still given longer ropes because some time in the past they had done some good. While youngsters play in harder positions (karthik #7) get smaller ropes (Dosa and Gambhir). All this while ... we still loose with the maharathis too. If we have to loose lets loose with the kids.... atleast they have a chance of getting better!