So what makes a champion ODI team ?

jf1gp_1

Most would agree that 7 Dhoni wont win you every game, 7 (current) ganguly will turn ODI into test. Almost all the thread talk about individuals, who should be throw out or who should come in, what the batting order should be be but noone ever talks about what is an ideal opener or following is what the allrounder should be able to do and then see who from the current team fits where. There has been a lot of debate on openers so i want to take up no 3 position. No 3 is a tricky spot, you could be in early so he should be able to utilize the power play or he could come in after a solid opening partnership then he should be able to build on that. The player i can think of are Yuvraj or Kartik. Both can play shots and rotate strike. I dont feel Dhoni is the right No 3 on any surface. Maybe in sub conti but dont know if sending him at 3 in Aus,Sa or Eng is such a good idea. My vote is for Yuvraj at 3. You can talk about openers or finishers or bowlers. But please first identify whats expected from the player and then name who is the best bet.

Number 3 should be your best player - which in our case should be Sachin. Given that Sachin is the best ODI opener ever, I guess our next best ODI player is Dravid. Given that Dravid sometimes sucks the life out of the game at #3, our next best ODI player is Yuvraj. Given that Yuvraj has no technique to play the moving deliveries on seaming wickets, I guess Karthick at #3 on moving tracks and Yuvraj at #3 on flat tracks.

Openers, SRT Uthhapa... give longer run... Karthik (Anchor role, give him longer run) Lets be ready to lose some games but make sure these 3 understand their roles and play to the situation. Improve the technique of best utilising first 20 overs. Rule is at least 1 of them have to stay past 20 overs....consistently. First 4 play 30 overs Last 3 play 20 overs You will win more than what we are winning right now..Stop criticizing them for say next 10 games...

The team that wins ODIs consistently have the following ingredients : 1. Explosive openers at the top. If not two at least 1. 2. Reliable no.3 3. A middle order that can run between the wickets well. 4. Explosive no.6 and no.7 Ideally you shouldn't rely on no.8 and down to put runs on the board. You should only expect 20-30 runs at the most from the last four. It's usually the batting that wins the game. Batsmen have huge role either chasing or setting the target. The bowlers should be chosen based on the conditions. ODI is a batsman's game unless the pitch is doing fair bit or spinning a mile. 80% of the times it is the batsmen that set the game up in ODIs. I believe fielding is an area that is underestimated despite obvious references to lack of agility in a team. About 20-30 runs saved is as good as 50-60 runs scored considering the team batting will have to score that many runs less. Fielding or lack of it can make or mar the ODIs. As of now I don't see much can be done with this Indian team. Couple of things that is working for India right now is decent middle order and the two miser spinners operating. These two factors aren’t good enough to win games consistently. With the make up of the current Indian ODI team there is not so much development to look forward to.

My champion Indian Team for ODI with current players would be 1. Sachin 2. Uthappa 3. Dravid 4. Yuvi 5. KKD 6. Dhoni 7. Piyush 8. Ramesh Powar 9. Zaheer 10. Munaf 11. R P Singh With this team..we will win the next 4 matches...comprehensively..
So in short you are saying drop Gangully and we win convincingly:cantstop:.. That is biased opinion at its best.. I wud suggest dravid and his caiptancy decsions have had th worse effect
My champion Indian Team for ODI with current players would be 1. Sachin 2. Uthappa 3. Dravid 4. Yuvi 5. KKD 6. Dhoni 7. Piyush 8. Ramesh Powar 9. Zaheer 10. Munaf 11. R P Singh With this team..we will win the next 4 matches...comprehensively..
This is a good team except Munaf.. I hope Agarkar finds some form..

A champion ODI team is one that can do the following 1. If batting first can bat the opposition out of the game (not necessarily slog the opposition out) 2. They bat the opposition out by ensure the top 5 contribute in such a way that they all make equal contribution either themselves or ensuring that the one that is scoring well that day is complemented by them 3. Then they bowl to a plan and field to a even tighter plan, take all their catches and generally make it even tougher than before for the team batting second to score, accelerate or even slog themselves out of trouble. 4. If batting second, ensure that not all bowlers are milked for runs 5. If the pitch is a belter then fielding moves up a couple of notches to prevent giveaways the batting team is made to earn its runs 6. Bowlers and fielder complement each other and don't compete with each other 7. When batting ensure a brisk run rate to ensure that the early overs are taken full advantage of and the latter players dont have to get trigger happy and slog 8. Finally a champion side is one that takes initiatives and makes use of all the advantages that it gets...

Sehwag (spin) Yuvraj Singh (spin, fielding bonus) Dravid (*captain) Sachin (spin) Kaif (improves the fielding, running) Raina (improves the fielding, running) Dhoni (wk, good running) Pathan (all rounder) Z Khan (spearhead) Sreesanth (character) P Chawla (young ace spinner)

i think india needs to work on fielding .like munaf needs to throw the ball not flick to the other fielders around him throw it tio them because every minute counts and fielders will expect a throw and instead could miss the flick which causes more runs being made also ganguly needs tto strenghthen up his arms and karthik needs some polishing up.