'Close to 20' dead in Connecticut school shooting,

vvvslaxman

My conclusion? If the Feds are going to come up with a law to ban assault weapons, it has to more stringent and far-reaching than the 1994 law, and has to include confiscating existing assault weapons. And considering that only 2 - 8 % of gun crimes are committed using assault weapons, the impact will be small. But, for the kids and their parents who are affected, even a 2% or 8% improvement is significant.
When you are a victim of a violent crime perpetrated using an assault weapon, it means the said assault weapon is responsible for 100% of all gun crime you ever care about. Please do not reduce this to a game of statistics. If one life, JUST ONE LIFE, can be saved by taking preventive action, then that option should be as vigorously pursued as the preemptive war to eliminate WMDs

I am a resident of CT. The town where the shootings happened is less than 40 mins drive from where I live/work, so this story rings much truer for me. In fact, at my work, my next cube colleague's brother's kid studied in the same school where the shooting happened. He was stunned when he heard the news and immediately rushed out to to be be with his brother's family. (Thankfully, the kid is safe). The atmosphere at work was very somber. Its difficult not to react in an emotional/intense way when actions of such un-explainable motives happen. But one thing's clear as daylight - when you mix crazy with lethal weapons, the cocktail it produces can only result in tragedy. But the interesting thing is, there are crazy people all over the world. Gun ownership is prevalent elsewhere as well. But only in the United States have such mass shootings become almost a banality these days. And I squarely place the blame on a culture that almost encourages, even glorifies gun ownership. Americans take pride in gun ownership, like as though it is an accomplishment. That is EFFIN crazy. If I am a normal person who passes all necessary background checks, I should be able to own a fire-arm. But its not something for me to flaunt around like a medal around the neck. I strongly believe you cannot simply legislate the 'crazy' away, nor should the individual's right to protect themselves be taken away from them. But America should be ashamed of the way it has handled the issue Gun ownership. Gun ownership is not something to be proud of. Guns are human killing machines, they are not to be glorified. I strongly believe that, it is this institutional glorification of guns that acts as the trigger for these depraved individuals to go into residential communities and blaze their firearm without a care.
This is exactly my thought- this country should be ashamed of itself for this mindset Unfortunately the mindset sees no sign of slowing down but rather only growing- the excuses given by these "macho" pro-gun idiots are so stupid 1. Self defense- seriously; you really need a semi-automatic to defend yourself? 2. Guns are not the only thing a killer can use- wow that is certainly a great reason to provide unlimited access to deranged ppl with something that can be used to destroy hundreds of lives in a matter of minutes; why not allow nuclear weapons at every home then. You cannot eliminate all killings but the idea should be to atleast eliminate risk 3. Making it illegal does not mean they won't be able to get them- wow so instead of trying to improve enforcement you actually make it easier!! I have no words for such foolishness that leads to so much tragedy

Americans don't realise banning guns in the long not short term will significantly reduce people killed by guns. Terrible place, shootings are so commonplace in USA. So much for self defense, never has a civilian actually shot down a shooter. They shoot themselves or its security. Every country has insane people but only in USA can they get such easy access to guns. This news is so sad, the kids were between 5 and 10 for ****s sake.

After my parents heard this' date=' their heart melted. :'( Those kids were just 5-10 yeas old. I have a 2 year old sister so I know what the families of the lost feels. Really sad[/quote'] It is a terrible sinking feeling for any parent who hears abt this Can't even imagine what the victims' parents are going through at the moment

It is a terrible sinking feeling for any parent who hears abt this Can't even imagine what the victims' parents are going through at the moment
Exactly what they said and just imagine if any of them will ever want their kids in school again. And what about those kids who got frightened for life??? will they be able to recover from this shock? But, they're too young to go through any of this. My payers are with them.

When you are a victim of a violent crime perpetrated using an assault weapon' date='[b'] it means the said assault weapon is responsible for 100% of all gun crime you ever care about. Please do not reduce this to a game of statistics. If one life, JUST ONE LIFE, can be saved by taking preventive action, then that option should be as vigorously pursued as the preemptive war to eliminate WMDs
Exactly what I said - it is significant for the victims and their parents. All my previous posts in this thread have called for more stringent assault weapons bans than the 1994 law passed by Clinton. Hope your community recovers from this soon. Peace.

Why do media outlets give these psychopath shooters so much publicity ? All it took for this madman was to go and shoot a bunch of unarmed people and he became world famous in no time. Why wouldnt this inspire more psychos to do similar acts to become famous ? The objective of these psychos seems like they basically want to kill themselves and so they think they might as well kill a bunch of other people to channel their hatred against society and also be known forever. Stop making guns available so easily and stop giving publicity to these psychos.

As you'd expect with the Amreekan media, now they're just organizing random talking heads to keep talking about this incident and sensationalize it as much as possible. The utility of the news media is pretty much non-existent after the first 24 hours of any incident. The grand-master of pointless 'news', CNN, is now reporting that, contrary to initial reporting, the gunman had carried all the 3 guns into the school and had access to 3 more fire-arms (:WTF:). Now, why would I care to know any of this?

I wonder if these kind of incidents make people think twice on moving about America in making some career/work.
To be honest, yes it is making me think more than twice about going back to Australia. I understand its an over reaction but in a few years I will have 2 kids in elementary school and yesterday I was almost in tears when I was listening to this horror story on the radio. Kids in kinder are just babies, they are very innocent and get scared easily. Just thinking what these kids went through sends a shiver up my spine.

Executive director of gun owners of America says that teachers being armed could have prevented this massacre :facepalm:

"Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to insure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered. This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun."
Closing line from the article
On a related note, Pratt's side has the momentum behind it. Michigan passed a law yesterday allowing concealed carry in schools and child-care centers. One day we will all be vigilantes — or be told that our deaths were our own fault.
http://gawker.com/5968680/executive-director-of-gun-owners-of-america-says-armed-teachers-would-have-stopped-newtown-shooting