In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Must say I am surprised at the lack of respect Haleem gets. Most desi restaurants dont even serve it in India or abroad. I find it to be quite awesome.
Some Punjabi and most Muslim themed restaurants serve Haleem. At least in Mumbai. I've seen it on the menu cards in North India too. More than a lack of respect for the dish, its the time it takes to prepare Haleem that is a major concern for a restaurant. It is slow cooked on a low flame for nearly 6-7 hours.
It's supposed to be THE DISH during Ramzaan and here I have Muslim friends who never had it or had it only a couple of times. As a Hyderabadi' date=' it was quite a shock for me. If Muslims themselves don't "respect" it, you can't expect much from rest of India.[/quote'] Not a big fan of Haleem, but among the various Haleems of India, it is the Hyderabadi Haleem which is the most overhyped. For one it is a tad bit spicy and they serve it with rice. :mad: Almost everywhere else the general practice is to have it with naan/roti.

Hyderabad dum biryani is pretty lame' date=' especially the one they sell at Paradise.[/quote'] Hyderabad dum biryani sold at Paradise is indeed Lame, agreed. But calling Hyderabadi Biryani lame clearly shows you have no clue what you are talking about.

Some Punjabi and most Muslim themed restaurants serve Haleem. At least in Mumbai. I've seen it on the menu cards in North India too. More than a lack of respect for the dish, its the time it takes to prepare Haleem that is a major concern for a restaurant. It is slow cooked on a low flame for nearly 6-7 hours. Not a big fan of Haleem, but among the various Haleems of India, it is the Hyderabadi Haleem which is the most overhyped. For one it is a tad bit spicy and they serve it with rice. :mad: Almost everywhere else the general practice is to have it with naan/roti.
yuck...haleem and rice. :sick: I have haleem with only haleem no rice no roti.

Must say I am surprised at the lack of respect Haleem gets. Most desi restaurants dont even serve it in India or abroad. I find it to be quite awesome.
Huh? I thought this thread was about the most pan national delicacy/dish. The majority have never heard of haleem :hitler: I love it though but cant say its my favorite.

Paradise Biriyani is lame :confused: It was awesome when I had it few years back. Even chota mota restaurants in Secunderabad serve awesome biriyani. The food is the only good thing about that city.
Awesome no more, I went there last year and the food served there was way under par. I know Hyderabadi's hype up their dum biryani as if it is the next best thing since sliced bread but come on, there are better alternatives. I personally prefer the Mughlai variant.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges, most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges' date=' most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Brilliant observation! :hatsoff:

Awesome no more, I went there last year and the food served there was way under par. I know Hyderabadi's hype up their dum biryani as if it is the next best thing since sliced bread but come on, there are better alternatives. I personally prefer the Mughlai variant.
but It IS better than sliced bread. :dontknow:

You can make Hyderbadi Dum Biryani at home also. The special taste is not in the name or in a restaurant, rather in the way it is made and how the veggies/spices are layered with the rice to finish the dish and get it the special taste. BTW, you also get Hyderabad Biryani powders, add them to any Biryani you make and it will enhance the flavor.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges' date=' most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.[/quote'] :two_thumbs_up:

I thought the thread was for a national dish? It has to be idli/dosa, Samosa or tea (if drinks included). For non-veg eaters like me, it is Biryani no doubt. I always thought Hyderabadi Biryani to be the epitome of the dish, but just last year had this: Lucknowi_Biryani.jpg GHOSHT AWADHI BIRYANI (even Chicken option is available). Believe me, it can give Hyderabadi Biryani a run for its money.

You can make Hyderbadi Dum Biryani at home also. The special taste is not in the name or in a restaurant' date=' rather in the way it is made and how the veggies/spices are layered with the rice to finish the dish and get it the special taste. BTW, you also get Hyderabad Biryani powders, add them to any Biryani you make and it will enhance the flavor.[/quote'] Most importantly do not let the steam escape. My mom seals the vessel with wheat dough. Of course, do not forget to caramelize the onions. :two_thumbs_up:

Most importantly do not let the steam escape. My mom seals the vessel with wheat dough. Of course' date=' do not forget to caramelize the onions. :two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] HAHA your suggestion reminds me of one of my cook uncle from my school trips back in the late nineties. We used to call him Khansahab. He was from East Pakistan originally but of Bihari origin, living in Delhi at that time. Used to make the most delicious biryanis I ever had during my childhood.