In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Why should even there be a quest? Everybody knows that "Maacher Jhol & Bhaat" (Bengali Fish Curry & Steamed Rice) is the Indian national dish.. :idunno: /* Thread..
Rock on Asterix da. You need to add the fish should be cooked in sarson ka tel ONLY. By the way which fish? Rohu? Katla? or Pompret (sp?) One footnote though, cook the fish like a Bihari. Aap Bengali log bahut kam amount of fish cook karte ho :hehe:

Is it? I think you may have just opened another debate right there :--D
Professor is right. Illish maach it is but Rohu & Katla also goes well. I agree that people in UP/Bihar cook and dish large portions as compared to Bengalis who usually add potato in the curry. Heck in mutton curry too potato is added...

Professor is right. Illish maach it is but Rohu & Katla also goes well. I agree that people in UP/Bihar cook and dish large portions as compared to Bengalis who usually add potato in the curry. Heck in mutton curry too potato is added...
Illish kya hua? Hilsa?:hmmm:

Fish and chips is very popular in Britain and is considered one of their national dishes. AM_706x264_SchweppesFishChips.jpg Gordon Brown and Tony Blair eating fish and chips: Gordon-Brown-eating-fish--001.jpg In India, Amritsari Macchi comes close to this, as it is also batter-fried, but the batter being different of course (besan coated).