Would All Time South African XI be the best All Time XI?

Lurker

:hysterical:
Kallis Against Aus till 2005 unfiltered 1995-2013 160 13048 224 56.73 44 284 6/54 32.48 5 193 0 Profile filtered 1997-2002 12 685 101 32.61 1 22 3/29 39.68 0 8 0 Kallis agianst eng till 2006-Allthough eng had a decent attack except for the period when flintof,harmy,hoggy,jones. unfiltered 1995-2013 160 13048 224 56.73 44 284 6/54 32.48 5 193 0 Profile filtered 1997-2006 15 961 111 38.44 2 28 3/29 38.25 0 13 0 Kallis against paki till 2003 . http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/45789.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=1;home_or_away=2;opposition=7;orderby=default;spanmax1=11+Jan+2003;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround Smith-record agianst aus-eventaking in to account his recent surge agianst poor aus attacks unfiltered 2002-2013 107 8624 277 49.28 26 8 2/145 110.62 0 152 0 Profile filtered 2002-2012 18 1193 122 37.28 3 1 1/41 77.00 0 31 Smith has a good record against eng- unfiltered 2002-2013 107 8624 277 49.28 26 8 2/145 110.62 0 152 0 Profile filtered 2003-2012 21 2051 277 56.97 7 2 1/25 60.50 0 34 0 Smith struggled against India averaging 34. and he struggles against any decent left arm fast bowler and really never faced any great attack except australian attack and he struggled. Hasim amla- struggled even against decent attacks in his first 4-5 years. unfiltered 2004-2013 67 5499 311* 51.39 19 0 - - 0 58 0 Profile filtered 2004-2008 20 1180 176* 33.71 3 0 - - 0 21 0 He too has not faced any great attack. But we are taking about all time 11 here .I do not think this sa team can hold itself against Aus or WI eleven.
but problem is amla wasnt this good at start also those atg teams never batted against steyn and co ..which is south africas best attack imo now u know this is not serious but if including amla i will include ponting to prove my point:cantstop:
Op included Amla.He should not be there .Cullinan,Kirsten should be there.Pollock,Ntini,donald,young kallis,paul Adams, Was the best not this attack.
Keith Miller. The boss of them all. B->B-> Alan Davidson and Ray Lindwall could also make a case of half decent all-rounder. And of course Richie Benaud too. Although these three wont be in the same league as Imran-Kapil-Botham.
Keith freakin Miller? He was as good as the ones you mentioned bar Sobers.
Oops I forgot Miller...there you go that strengthens my beleif that Aus all time XI can easily be passed off as the best all time X1. No offense to your line up Lurker...it's a very good one but doesn't stand a chance against an Aussie XI...Against a WI X1 maybe debatable because SA despite having a choker status...I think the flair-filled WI team has a better chance of self-imploding say on a minefield on a subcontinent track than a SA lineup including the likes of Kallis,Amla and some old-timers. I would go with Aus and SA-WI at the same level tied for No2 Also I won't go on a length to ridicule the Pakistani fan here because he might have a point when he says that their bowling attack will easily make it to the ATG bowling line up but unfortunately none of their batsmen would even make it to a 2nd string world X1 and yes that includes Miandad,Inzamam and Abbas.
But going bak to your point what about Australia? I mean they have had everything in terms of Batting greats,Wk greats,SPin/Fast bowling legends. Surprisingly though I can't recollect Aussies having a Outstanding allrounder in the league of Botham.Kapil,Imran,Sobers though unless we can count Adam Gilchrist as one.
I have two words for u Keith Millar
^ Yes Pak bowling is awesome but batting a lot less so! Thinking about it, there is probably not much between Marshall and Steyn. Not entirely convinced by the hoopla around Richards given he barely had a test career, though as you rightly point out he did well vs good World Series attacks. Still think the Aus and WI sides had overall stronger sides, the greats were greater. Aussie spin attack serious point it in their favour
I would say Marshall and Steyn are very much comparable. It is hard to actually determine who is better of the two.
Op included Amla.He should not be there .Cullinan' date='Kirsten should be there.Pollock,Ntini,donald,young kallis,paul Adams, Was the best not this attack.[/quote'] well i think this one is better attack yeah they lack spinner but morkel and steyn are right now 2 best fast bowlers in world and philander is jsut scary if conditions help him a bit btw amla is actually improving after each year:cantstop: im sure he will finish like kallis and his average will keep on increasing :P
somehow it doesn't sound right' date=' though my comment is based mainly on perception only.[/quote'] Marshall had a huge advantage of bowling on those days. Not even Marshal, in fact every pacer had advantage. There was a fear of pace on those days, which you dont see now.
Marshall had a huge advantage of bowling on those days. Not even Marshal' date=' in fact every pacer had advantage. There was a fear of pace on those days, which you dont see now.[/quote'] Really steyn has advantage of bowling on green tops most times.Also quality of batting has gone down drastically due to flat pitches ,T20.Most mordern batsman are impatient which has lead to in out fields. .Steyn when finshes will be near average nearing 25 .
well i think this one is better attack yeah they lack spinner but morkel and steyn are right now 2 best fast bowlers in world and philander is jsut scary if conditions help him a bit btw amla is actually improving after each year:cantstop: im sure he will finish like kallis and his average will keep on increasing :P
No way ,I rate morkel highly but he has yet to fulfil his potential even though he gets good conditions to bowl.Ntini and pollock on sa conditions were very good,Adams was a decent spinner in 1990s.Today the batting standard in tests has dipped drastically compared to 90s even though we play on flat pattas.
Oops I forgot Miller...there you go that strengthens my beleif that Aus all time XI can easily be passed off as the best all time X1. No offense to your line up Lurker...it's a very good one but doesn't stand a chance against an Aussie XI...Against a WI X1 maybe debatable because SA despite having a choker status...I think the flair-filled WI team has a better chance of self-imploding say on a minefield on a subcontinent track than a SA lineup including the likes of Kallis,Amla and some old-timers. I would go with Aus and SA-WI at the same level tied for No2 Also I won't go on a length to ridicule the Pakistani fan here because he might have a point when he says that their bowling attack will easily make it to the ATG bowling line up but unfortunately none of their batsmen would even make it to a 2nd string world X1 and yes that includes Miandad,Inzamam and Abbas.
Well u forget that windies had one of the all time great all time allrounder sir Garfield sobers , though they didn't have a class spinner , may be lance Gibbs and ramnariane but that battery of fast bowlling of 80's and the ferocious wes hall and Roy gilchrist with batters like 3 w's Haynes , grinedge, Richards, kalicharan, kanhai, Lloyd , lara,gayle, chanders and dujon can ripp apart any best 11 I mean , warne and piggie can get u out , but these guys can hurt u and cam end ur carrier.
Really steyn has advantage of bowling on green tops most times.Also quality of batting has gone down drastically due to flat pitches ,T20.Most mordern batsman are impatient which has lead to in out fields. .Steyn when finshes will be near average nearing 25 .
There are both sides to this. Average is high because run scoring is high and he has an SR of low 40s which evens out. Bowlers on those days used to get a lot of wickets just for fear of pace and dont you think there were green tops even on those days. I would say tracks are mostly flat these days. Steyn gets green tops mostly in SA, not in England, Aus, or India. Watch the batting of great Greg Chappel and it is not like Imran is bowling fiery, looks just as quick as our Dindas or Shamis. I would see it as poor quality of cricket. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXQl3AGIaQ]Magical Imran Khan YORKER OF DEATH - 1981 vs Australia - YouTube[/ame]
There are both sides to this. Average is high because run scoring is high and he has an SR of low 40s which evens out. Bowlers on those days used to get a lot of wickets just for fear of pace and dont you think there were green tops even on those days. I would say tracks are mostly flat these days. Steyn gets green tops mostly in SA, not in England, Aus, or India. Watch the batting of great Greg Chappel and it is not like Imran is bowling fiery, looks just as quick as our Dindas or Shamis. I would see it as poor quality of cricket.
I Meant steyn plays most matches at home on green tops.His record in eng is not that great.You cannot discount skills of previous generation bowlers conditions were diff and style of play was diff.Yes they may not be quicker than mordern bowlers but accuracy,Movement they had .We see how hard it is to play pakistans irfan and with having watched some videos of garner ,I would really think how difficult it would be for mordern batsman to play him. 03COke_9pPs
I Meant steyn plays most matches at home on green tops.His record in eng is not that great.You cannot discount skills of previous generation bowlers conditions were diff and style of play was diff.Yes they may not be quicker than mordern bowlers but accuracy,Movement they had .We see how hard it is to play pakistans irfan and with having watched some videos of garner ,I would really think how difficult it would be for mordern batsman to play him.
I am not discounting anything. I said Marshall and Steyn are comparable and it is hard to pick a better out of the two and even their records are very comparable but people still that greats form old era were better. There is no way we can say that with 100% assurance. Look at this video, Chappell is batting like Ishant Sharma here.
I am not discounting anything. I said Marshall and Steyn are comparable and it is hard to pick a better out of the two and even their records are very comparable but people still that greats form old era were better. There is no way we can say that with 100% assurance. Look at this video, Chappell is batting like Ishant Sharma here.
chappell brothers did not play that series.It was a struggling aus side and hughes lost his capaticny and border got it.