Sachin leads race, sounded out for post

Feed

BCCI sources told TOI that Sachin was certainly the frontrunner. Sachin didn't respond right away, but is learnt to have given his 'in principle' nod. More... Sachin leads race, sounded out for post TNN NEW DELHI, September 14: The big smiles were on for BCCI's Indian Premier League (IPL) announcement. Sharad Pawar, Ray Mali and Creagh O'Connor posed for pictures with the cricket biggies - Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Anil Kumble, Stephen Fleming and Glenn McGrath. Soon everyone repaired to Maurya Sheraton's Kamal Mahal for cocktails. As the decibel level grew, Pawar withdrew from the party with Dilip Vengsarkar and Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin was taken into confidence. Dravid has resigned as captain, he was told. Sachin has always pitched in for Indian cricket; would he pitch in once more - this time as captain? Sachin didn't respond right away, but is learnt to have given his 'in principle' nod. He wanted some time to think it through, he said. Until then he wanted no announcement, no loose talk. On Friday, Sachin cancelled an appointment in Kolkata for September 18 where he was to make an appearance for a biscuit company. That day India's team for the ODI series against Australia is to be announced. The captain usually plays a key role in the team's formation. Is this why Sachin cancelled his Kolkata appointment? BCCI sources told TOI that Sachin was certainly the frontrunner. It was really up to him to decide. "If Sachin says 'yes', then the issue is settled. But if he says 'no', then we will have to look for someone," said the source. And who would that be? Sourav Ganguly? The source said that was unlikely, "It will be probably Dhoni." Other BCCI sources said there was some talk of having two captains - one for Tests and another for ODIs. If this proposal goes through, Sachin would be made the captain for Tests, while Dhoni would get a leg up and become the ODI captain in addition to his Twenty20 captaincy.

Hardly unexpected considering that Sachin was given the VC role not too long back. If at all there is any conspiracy here then that would be another reason to dump this aging warhorse out. I would be seriously ticked off if SRT takes this chance to have a shot at captaincy. I would personally like to see VVS or Kumble lead India. xx

This is the same Sachin Tendulkar that resigned from captaincy on account of not able to enjoy it. He took the "No captaincy" motto so far that he even refused to captain Mumbai. I hope he looks back and reflect on how he was completely wrecked taking up the captaincy. I so hope he turns down the offer if he is offered to captain.

Hardly unexpected considering that Sachin was given the VC role not too long back. If at all there is any conspiracy here then that would be another reason to dump this aging warhorse out. I would be seriously ticked off if SRT takes this chance to have a shot at captaincy. I would personally like to see VVS or Kumble lead India. xx
eaxctly Lurker, somehow, I tend to agree with you. damn, I am a die hard admirer of Sachu....but really, I want him to flatly reject this mess of "captaincy". Dhoni/Yuvraj, Kumble anyone but not Sachu......sachu is great while batting, bowling or fielding and he should continue doing that forever.....This captaincy shyt will get thicker over a period of time, unless BCCI gives up favoritism, nepotism/corruption. "doodh ka jalaa chaanch ko bhi phoonk ke peeta hai"....and Sachu should follow this path.
take TOI reporting with pinch of salt.. Dhoni will get the captaincy...If I was BCCI, I would talk dravid and keep him captain for Tests and hand over ODI captaincy to Dhoni/Yuvi
Yep. Dhoni will take over both teams IF India do well in this T20 World Championship. The prospect of Dhoni leading both teams doesn't do too much for me. I still think a senior should get it. Not Tendulkar or Ganguly, obviously.