varun

Next Indian Captain: Your Choice  

1. 1.

• Sachin Tendulkar for TESTS & ODIS
    • Saurav Ganguly for TESTS & ODIS
    • Kumble for TESTS and Dhoni for ODIS
    • Other: Please mention

I would go for Tendulkar or Sehwag.
Shwetabh, Not Tendulkar, for God's sake!! But I don't know why I'm having this sneaking feeling that Vengsarkar might ask him to be a stop-gap captain at least!!! That would be disastrous for India. Why not persuade Dravid to not quit for this season at least? And if you have to try a new captain, try him in ODIs first. Why can't we have smooth transition, EVER??

Now Tehelka says that Rahul Dravid piqued at Vengsarkar criticism, resigns as skipper Informed sources told TEHELKA that the skipper was upset over the criticism of his captaincy by Dilip Vengsarkar, chairman of the selection committee. "This was the first time India won a series in England after 1986 and the public criticism was somewhat unwarranted." a board official told TEHELKA. Vengsarkar had questioned the Indian skipper's decision not to bat at the crucial number three slot during the one-day series against England. Vengsarkar had told a wire agency that India's fortunes in the one-day series against England banked on the form of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly and each time they clicked, the team won handsomely. But each time they failed, the batsman at number three failed to stand up and be counted. The chief selector had expressed surprise on the choice of Dinesh Karthik, Yuvraj Singh and Gautam Gambhir being tried at number three when the team had an automatic choice in the skipper himself. Critics found merit in his criticism since the Indian skipper has had a proficient run at the number three slot and has been involved in every century stand for the second wicket in the last twenty one-dayers. Interestingly, in the last ten innings at number three, Dravid has averaged 40 with five fifties. India went on to win seven of those games. Repeated attempts to reach Dravid proved futile. __________________________________ Talk about few site's abity to grab even the smallest opportunities to sensationalise thing!!! :confused_smile:

I think Dravid is just afraid of taking on a Pakistan team on Krumblers and touring Australia after their weak links' date=' McWarne, have retired. Pu$.[/quote'] Brilliant... hahaha.... but I do agree with his decision... right now his batting's suffering, possibly while he's focusing on leading the side - and while he's doing a decent job, he's still a negative captain at times especially when India are on the receiving end. If there's a tradeoff between his batting and leadership, I know which I'd rather take - not that many guys average near 60 at the highest level, and having Dravid back in form would be great for the Indian side with someone else at the top. Would love to see someone like VVS take the test captaincy while a youngster like Dhoni is groomed with the ODI captaincy for a couple of years. As for Dravid - full props to him on his typically dignified resignation here. Went out with class, grace and good timing just as he had captained - kept his head above water all the way through with his captaincy, didn't try and court controversy even when leaving - even if his leadership at times wasn't the best, he'll definitely be remembered as a skipper for some terrific overseas wins (even if a lot more could and should have come out of them).

I hope selectors dont repeat the same mistake in makin Sachin captain again...(i know its more blasphemous than saying Ram doesn't exist....but i dont think captaincy is his cup of tea..but then again i thought he is finished as a player after the WC-07...!!)..... IMHO i do not think there is a better Captain material than Dravid in the current Indian setup..somehow this resignation does not seem 2 make sense..there is a lot more 2 it than just him "tryin 2 concentrate on his Game"! nyway one interesting article (no coincidence) i found- http://www.rediff.com/sports/2000/feb/05arm.htm

I hope selectors dont repeat the same mistake in makin Sachin captain again...(i know its more blasphemous than saying Ram doesn't exist....but i dont think captaincy is his cup of tea..but then again i thought he is finished as a player after the WC-07...!!)..... IMHO i do not think there is a better Captain material than Dravid in the current Indian setup..somehow this resignation does not seem 2 make sense..there is a lot more 2 it than just him "tryin 2 concentrate on his Game"! nyway one interesting article (no coincidence) i found- http://www.rediff.com/sports/2000/feb/05arm.htm
Awesome article Tugga! Thanks for posting. BTW welcome to the site.

Excellent decision. In this game where every win is attributed to or loss is blamed on captaincy by most people, I am glad he asked everyone to get the fack off his face. You make a wrong toss decision, that's it. Game over. You pick 5 bowlers instead of 4, end of story. Game lost. Is there really a point in leading such a team? God bless the next guy in line.

Guest dada_rocks

His batting suffered and moreover it's good for team india given his propensity of taking not so common-sensical decision little too often, at the toss particularly..

Guest dada_rocks
There used to be one but I guess he is not intersted in captaincy anymore....TINA factor mandates that dravid at least continues till pakistan series
Guest dada_rocks
Now Tehelka says that Rahul Dravid piqued at Vengsarkar criticism' date= resigns as skipper Informed sources told TEHELKA that the skipper was upset over the criticism of his captaincy by Dilip Vengsarkar, chairman of the selection committee. "This was the first time India won a series in England after 1986 and the public criticism was somewhat unwarranted." a board official told TEHELKA. Vengsarkar had questioned the Indian skipper's decision not to bat at the crucial number three slot during the one-day series against England. Vengsarkar had told a wire agency that India's fortunes in the one-day series against England banked on the form of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly and each time they clicked, the team won handsomely. But each time they failed, the batsman at number three failed to stand up and be counted. The chief selector had expressed surprise on the choice of Dinesh Karthik, Yuvraj Singh and Gautam Gambhir being tried at number three when the team had an automatic choice in the skipper himself. Critics found merit in his criticism since the Indian skipper has had a proficient run at the number three slot and has been involved in every century stand for the second wicket in the last twenty one-dayers. Interestingly, in the last ten innings at number three, Dravid has averaged 40 with five fifties. India went on to win seven of those games. Repeated attempts to reach Dravid proved futile. __________________________________ Talk about few site's abity to grab even the smallest opportunities to sensationalise thing!!! :confused_smile:
Vengy's batting order cirticism in ODI does make sense...