Dhoni overtakes Ganguly's tally of 21 test wins as captain

saneindian

Post title must read as beleow now :two_thumbs_up: Dhoni breaks Ganguly's record of 21 test wins as captain
He is very close of breaking Ganguly and Azhar's record of losing maximum number of test matches as well (Dhoni lost 12 already. Ganguly lost 13 and Azhar 14). An SA tour will achieve this for Dhoni. He is also one loss away from equating record of maximum defeats overseas for a captain.
He is very close of breaking Ganguly and Azhar's record of losing maximum number of test matches as well. (Dhoni lost 12 already. Ganguly lost 13 and Azhar 14). An SA tour will achieve this for Dhoni. He is also one loss away from equating record of maximum defeats overseas for a captain.
We play 75% of our cricket in India. Away games are practice. :beach:
No actually I am having a lot of fun with Dhoni fanboyzz. Ofcourse you are the "palti" crowd' date=' the one that keeps swinging from one extreme to the other. You are also fun lot, I dare say.[/quote'] Glad to know what I / 'Dhoni fanboyzz' write on ICF gives you some comfort, life can be tough otherwise.
In terms of series performances Under Dhoni (excluding the current series) - Played 17, Won 10, Lost 3, Drawn 4 Under Dada- Played 20, Won 10, Lost 5, Drawn 5 So a series win vs Aus makes Dhoni the captain with most series wins too.
We were never whitewashed under Dada, were we??

I don't know how people can just throw numbers to judge something as subjective as captaincy. Under X we won Blah Blah, under Y we lost Blah Blah, under Z we reached Blah Blah. Any informed discussion on captaincy has to be done in the absence of such simplistic stats. What are these stats and numbers supposed to show?

We play 75% of our cricket in India. Away games are practice. :beach:
Not sure if serious or not ... Since 2011 World cup ... we have played 13 tests at home (including the two remaining in this series) and 11 tests away. however after this, for the next two years we have just 1 home test series scheduled against west Indies while we play 14 tests away in NZL, SAF, ENG and AUS. That will make it 25 tests away and 16 tests at home in between WC 2011 and WC 2015. Now explain, how we play 75% games at home?? And You Call yourself Number ... HUH
Not sure if serious or not ... Since 2011 World cup ... we have played 13 tests at home (including the two remaining in this series) and 11 tests away. however after this, for the next two years we have just 1 home test series scheduled against west Indies while we play 14 tests away in NZL, SAF, ENG and AUS. That will make it 25 tests away and 16 tests at home in between WC 2011 and WC 2015. Now explain, how we play 75% games at home?? And You Call yourself Number ... HUH
It might be better to direct your query to Kaptaan Kool:
India's marked difference in recent performance home and away, Dhoni said, was a reflection of the variety of conditions that made Test cricket challenging. "You have to realise 80 or 70 per cent of the matches you play in your home conditions. You have to be good there. As I always say, once you go abroad the conditions are totally different and that's a challenge. That's what improves our Test cricket over a period of time. I think the sides that have players who have toured the sub-continent or of us who have played in other countries, they have been able to perform quite consistently."

I am not sure who the better skipper is (since most of these are subjective calls), though after having the most test wins as a skipper he also has a WC win, champions trophy and great success leading club teams like CSK to mulitple trophy wins, MSD has done his reputation no harm. However that is no my point. What I am sure is when it comes to playing politics or playing the victim and getting involved in needless controversies Ganguly wins hands down over MSD. Goes on show what a jerk he really is.

I don't know how people can just throw numbers to judge something as subjective as captaincy. Under X we won Blah Blah, under Y we lost Blah Blah, under Z we reached Blah Blah. Any informed discussion on captaincy has to be done in the absence of such simplistic stats. What are these stats and numbers supposed to show?
The thread is about numbers and the title doesn't really say Dhoni surpasses Ganguly to become India's best ever captain. These stats and numbers show statistically Dhoni has moved ahead of Ganguly. Nothing more.
Out of those 11 wins' date=' 6 are against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.[/quote'] If you are talking of context, how many wins does Dhoni have outside the subcontinent? Aus were much stronger than the current side in 2000's & if Ganguly has 6 wins against Zim/Ban then MSD too has wins against a weak Aus side incapable of playing spin or a weak WI side As you yourself pointed out "Any informed discussion on captaincy has to be done in the absence of such simplistic stats.". I was merely pointing out some stats for Dhoni Fanboys, who are beating their drums to highlight MSD's 22 wins.
Dhoni meant overall not in a particular period of time. That said, I don't quite get Dhoni's point actually. It will be interesting to do an analysis comparing the number of Test matches a player plays at home vs away. A quick look at Tendulkar's statistics says that he has played 90 out of 196 Test matches at home. This is lesser than 50%! I would really want to know what he means by that statement of his.