Ramayan in Comics - How much children can benefit

sandtest

In an age of desolation and darkness when the world is dying from the curse that men inflicted upon themselves, a great epic shall take place once again. The spawn of the final destruction that decimated earth wills to carve the world to his own soulless image; he is Ravan the master of the half living race of Asuras. His armies marches across the world invading one land after another and poisoning the earth with his vile mechanoids. But there is hope still and it lies in Ayodhya, the last vestige of the race of humans, a gleaming city that boasts the finest of warriors -- Kshatriyas. But even Ayodhya has been infected by the evil that spreads across the world like a contagion, and the prime victim is Rama, the first born of the Maharaj or chief councilor of Ayodhya. By treachery Rama is exiled from his land, but in the course of his travels he finds out the true meaning to his existence: he has to become the scourge of the Asuras and the protector of the daughter of earth. Thus begins Rama's journey across the kingdoms, lands and continents, the quest to retrieve the soul of the planet and cleansing of the world of a malevolent darkness that threatens to engulf it. http://www.virgincomics.com/minisites/ramayan/ramayan.html http://www.virgincomics.com/pdf/ramayan_sep06.pdf [ame]

[/ame]= -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Although, I am not sure, if comic portrayal of Ramayan is a better way to foster ideal characters like respect for elders, obedience, honesty and various noble values conveyed to mankind by Sri Ram, Laxman, Bharat, Sitaji and Sri Hanuman, but given the fact that modern day children may not be of the type like we were i.e. reading Tulsidas Ramcharitmanas or Valmiki Ramayan for knowledge or watching sophisticated devnagari language serials with patience and interest. Therefore comics seem to be an alternative to initiate them in modern time, I guess.?

"respect for elders, obedience, honesty and various noble values" Are you talking about the same story i know. You know in which a guy has 4 wifes. Respect is when you take off to live in the forest for 14 years bcos you dad says so but you don't respect your wife enough to believe her? What was the reason that sita doesnt go with hanuman? A war could have been avoided if sita didnt act like a diva and went with hanuman. So what can children benefit from idolizing someone like Rama who exiles his pregnant wife? Now krishna, that sly playboy is someone who should be the hero to our children.

^^^ And see the bright side of it , you can criticize Shri Ram and still remain a Hindu.....that is the beauty of Dharma it's open to criticism and since ancient times it has evolved absorbing criticims-philosophies, unlike psudo-monotheistic charm with totalitarian nature of - that religion called___ ahem. On contrary, in north India particularly Bhakti poets like Goswami Tulsidas composed Manas in very symbolic ways. In short "selfless" durty and service of Sri Ram to his society is free to be interpreted and percieved by individual. It's upto you. Period.

"respect for elders' date= obedience, honesty and various noble values" Are you talking about the same story i know. You know in which a guy has 4 wifes. Respect is when you take off to live in the forest for 14 years bcos you dad says so but you don't respect your wife enough to believe her? What was the reason that sita doesnt go with hanuman? A war could have been avoided if sita didnt act like a diva and went with hanuman. So what can children benefit from idolizing a ***** like Rama who exiles his pregnant wife? Now krishna, that sly playboy is someone who should be the hero to our children.
Hang on.. u must be frm TN grown up under the influence of dravidian movement (so called forward thinking ideology :giggle:).....

"respect for elders, obedience, honesty and various noble values" Are you talking about the same story i know. You know in which a guy has 4 wifes. Respect is when you take off to live in the forest for 14 years bcos you dad says so but you don't respect your wife enough to believe her? What was the reason that sita doesnt go with hanuman? A war could have been avoided if sita didnt act like a diva and went with hanuman. So what can children benefit from idolizing a ***** like Rama who exiles his pregnant wife? Now krishna, that sly playboy is someone who should be the hero to our children.
i think this post needs to be deleted.

Hang on.. u must be frm TN grown up under the influence of dravidian movement (so called forward thinking ideology :giggle:).....
Very true. I have heard about versions of Ramayana and Mahabharata where Sita elopes with Ravana and Draupadi marries Duryodhana, just to cause a sensation among those who believe it to be holy. It speaks high of a religion which is not bothered by these veiled attacks of some bigots. I guess the creator's intent of some controversial actions of Rama was more to do with what would a ideal man do if they are faced with such idealogical issues, which is relevant even to today's time/thought. Most would not do what Ram did. I guess the OP's post is more like what a PR person of another religion would say (e.g Missionaries and Madrasas).

Although, I am not sure, if comic portrayal of Ramayan is a better way to foster ideal characters like respect for elders, obedience, honesty and various noble values conveyed to mankind by Sri Ram, Laxman, Bharat, Sitaji and Sri Hanuman, but given the fact that modern day children may not be of the type like we were i.e. reading Tulsidas Ramcharitmanas or Valmiki Ramayan for knowledge or watching sophisticated devnagari language serials with patience and interest. Therefore comics seem to be an alternative to initiate them in modern time, I guess.?
I would disagree ST. All these hi-tech gizmos are essentially ensuring that our traditions and cultures are slowly but surely dieing. Most of us who know about Ramayan and Mahabharta know so because our elders, generally grandparents or parents, told us stories about them when we were kids. Later on we would read through various sources - like Amar Chitra Katha or Nandan, ChandaMama etc. But the point is we were either narrated stories or we read them. Both these traits - elders telling kids stories or kids reading books - is very much on the wane now. To turn towards the very reason that has killed them - modernism, to ensure its revival is like talking to Mr. Jinnah as to how India can secure its Secular fabrics. The other day there was this Hindu festival teej. I came to know about it a day later when I called home, but while I was talking about it with my co-workers none of them had observed it(I am talking of ladies who come from UP-Bihar-Delhi area) and nonchalantly told me they dont care. I didnt say anything really but what are the odds that such parents would pass on Ramayana and Mahabharta to their kids? Do bear in mind when it comes to Indian mythology it is mostly मौखिकand not लिखित. xx xxx

What does calling a spade ,a spade has to do with anything abt forward thinking or TN? Its not like i made up anything. I learned Ramyana in diff. languages ina CBSE school(that means the whole of india uses the same books) and i saw ramayan in Doordarshan just like everyone else. The OP wanted to know if the story can be used to influence our children.I merely pointed out that the main protagonist in the story is no way near noble or moral based on the writings in that story. Once again,I didn't make anything up . But i guess some bigoted minds will not be able to take criticism even if its true. As a mythological story its good but to use as an example where none of the main characters are flawless?

What does calling a spade ,a spade has to do with anything abt forward thinking or TN? Its not like i made up anything. I learned Ramyana in diff. languages ina CBSE school(that means the whole of india uses the same books) and i saw ramayan in Doordarshan just like everyone else. The OP wanted to know if the story can be used to influence our children.I merely pointed out that the main protagonist in the story is no way near noble or moral based on the writings in that story. Once again,I didn't make anything up . But i guess some bigoted minds will not be able to take criticism even if its true. As a mythological story its good but to use as an example where none of the main characters are flawless?
so ur frm TN..:hysterical:

I would disagree ST. All these hi-tech gizmos are essentially ensuring that our traditions and cultures are slowly but surely dieing. Most of us who know about Ramayan and Mahabharta know so because our elders, generally grandparents or parents, told us stories about them when we were kids. Later on we would read through various sources - like Amar Chitra Katha or Nandan, ChandaMama etc. But the point is we were either narrated stories or we read them. Both these traits - elders telling kids stories or kids reading books - is very much on the wane now. To turn towards the very reason that has killed them - modernism, to ensure its revival is like talking to Mr. Jinnah as to how India can secure its Secular fabrics.
I agree with you Lurker, In fact mine was a question rather than conclusion. As you said rightly our elders-parents etc. narrated these stories and thus we inherited it from them. Since thousands of years this has been passing down from one generation to another in the form of "smriti"- an important method for preserving any culture. Our ancestors realized it very early and ensured that cultures,values and dharmic traditions are preserved by passing it to their offsprings.They did their duty. Now whom we should blame if in coming generation these values become extinct?? Should we blame younger generation? I think, first we should blame ourselves that we are not able to figure out a "practical" way to pass the traditional values to our offsprings. History will blame us first before blaming our coming generations. In our days we were able to read and watch Puranic stories through available resources. In next generation I don't expect that children will watch "pure hindi" serials like Mahabharat or if for example I will recite opening verses of Sunder Kand in classical Sanskrit, they will hear it with much interest. Simply it's not "practical" way to get their attention. We have been fully "anglicized" and it's wrong to blame Britain, US, globalization etc. for this. History is an evidence that India absorbed many cultures, traditions, religions and still was able to preserve it's own identity and values? how? Our ancestors were invaded and influenced by so many civilizations and traditions, So how they managed to keep their original identity and value system intact? I think it was simply because they "absorbed" foreign influence and made it ONE with our own system. Instead of submitting to them and eventually abondoning their own identity, they Indianized that influence. But today why we are not able to do that?

I have a practical example. A few months back, my uncle who is busy with his job, sent his son (around 9-10 years is his age) to spend holidays with us. Spent a few days with us, What I observed was, he can remember almost all the names of "Indian Idol" contestants and practically every song they sang. Then I asked him "Do you know who is Abhimanyu in Mahabharat". The guy has no clue. I thought question was difficult so asked more famous Arjun, he can't tell. I complained my Uncle in very harsh words that your son knows about Rakhi Sawant than Puran characters. Uncle proudly said, he has employed a Tution for him what more he can do, as he is busy whole day. Now go figure. What I mean to say is knowing more about Mallika, Priyanaka is not a problem. As been happening since ancient time and now even in modern time, all Mallikas, Rakhis can co-exist with Dropadis, Gandharis, Uttaras and several Puranic characters, in the same way as Madhubalas, Nutans co-existed during our times. Today, if a boy knows about bollywood character he can also simultaneously know about Puranic characters...we have to get down to bollywood ways to convey them this...and if a comics can do this job...so be it.

Now whom we should blame if in coming generation these values become extinct??
You can put the blame on us, our generation. We belong to a unique generation ST, we have seen times changed so fast that we don't possibly realize how much we ourselves changed in the process. As a typical UP/Bihari guy growing up in 80's will tell you, he almost knew by rot the winners of Bharat Ratna, Dadasaheb Falke, Ramon Magsaysay award. A large majority of us knew atleast who the winner was for Nobel Peace Prize if not for various fields. Today the younger generation has no clue about most of these and quite possible they know more of Academy and Emmy Awards than a Padma Shri or Padma Vibushan. Somewhere during changing times we slipped in passing the gauntlet.
We have been fully "anglicized" and it's wrong to blame Britain, US, globalization etc. for this. History is an evidence that India absorbed many cultures, traditions, religions and still was able to preserve it's own identity and values? how?
I wouldnt blame England or USA at all. The fault obviously lies with Indians. Look at it this way, growing up were we not fed on the fact that English medium schools are simply better? In my college days at RIT I would routinely run into girls who would chastise a guy simply because he could not speak in English. Yep in India, where majority of us speak in Hindi, Hindi is supposed to belong to lower caste ladder so to speak. It was only a matter of time that we would forget our Premchands and Niralas for Yeats and Shakespeare. Javed Naqvi had captured this briiliantly in the following paragraph. When we refer to the NRI-dominated middle class being today’s dominant ideological force the allusion really is to those non-resident Indians (as well as the ones who stayed home) who have traditionally connived with colonialism for the crumbs they were rewarded with. The old-fashioned school of sociologists called them the comprador class. This lot shares the cultural manifestations, including racism, of their masters. In the opposition were those Indian expatriates who fought colonialism and its racist features wherever there was on occasion to stand their ground. The fact is that NRIs have brought a lot of positive changes, as also a bunch of negative changes. It remains to be seen in the long run if the negatives outweighed the positives. xx

Spent a few days with us, What I observed was, he can remember almost all the names of "Indian Idol" contestants and practically every song they sang. Then I asked him "Do you know who is Abhimanyu in Mahabharat". The guy has no clue. Uncle proudly said, he has employed a Tution for him what more he can do, as he is busy whole day. Now go figure. What I mean to say is knowing more about Mallika, Priyanaka is not a problem. As been happening since ancient time and now even in modern time, all Mallikas, Rakhis can co-exist with Dropadis, Gandharis, Uttaras and several Puranic characters, in the same way as Madhubalas, Nutans co-existed during our times.
I was about to mention something similar. The other day I was at an Indian family gathering. There is this little rolly polly kid, about 8-9 years old. A bit on the heavy side as cute kids are..bless his cotton socks. Anyway I was playing with him when he put his feet on top of mine and I jokingly said, "You have feets of an Angad". He didnt have a clue and more importantly nor did his parents. Bhala ho ek Bengali lady ka who narrated the story behind it. I wouldnt be surprised if the parents knew all about the green card process or why Hrithik is hotter than SRK though. xxxx

Guest dada_rocks
I have a practical example. A few months back, my uncle who is busy with his job, sent his son (around 9-10 years is his age) to spend holidays with us. Spent a few days with us, What I observed was, he can remember almost all the names of "Indian Idol" contestants and practically every song they sang. Then I asked him "Do you know who is Abhimanyu in Mahabharat". The guy has no clue. I thought question was difficult so asked more famous Arjun, he can't tell. I complained my Uncle in very harsh words that your son knows about Rakhi Sawant than Puran characters. Uncle proudly said, he has employed a Tution for him what more he can do, as he is busy whole day. Now go figure. What I mean to say is knowing more about Mallika, Priyanaka is not a problem. As been happening since ancient time and now even in modern time, all Mallikas, Rakhis can co-exist with Dropadis, Gandharis, Uttaras and several Puranic characters, in the same way as Madhubalas, Nutans co-existed during our times. Today, if a boy knows about bollywood character he can also simultaneously know about Puranic characters...we have to get down to bollywood ways to convey them this...and if a comics can do this job...so be it.
Sounds like American teen population

Sounds like American teen population
It's very much happening in cities of India, DR. I believe 50% children living in big cities, glued to sattelite television, are not aware about Mahabharat and Ramayan characters. There are few awakened parents who keep their children updated for these things, but number is pretty less.

It's very much happening in cities of India, DR. I believe 50% children living in big cities, glued to sattelite television, are not aware about Mahabharat and Ramayan characters. There are few awakened parents who keep their children updated for these things, but number is pretty less.
Arey Baba ! What's the big deal , if they are not aware of Mahabharat and Ramayan characters. You are sounding like a geriatric now !:D

Arey Baba ! What's the big deal ' date=' if they are not aware of Mahabharat and Ramayan characters. You are sounding like a geriatric now !:D[/quote'] KR it may not matter for you if our history and culture slowly become extinct, instead you will concentrate your effort in reminding me that I am sounding "geriatric". Btw...Talking about America, although I have never been there, still I feel there are much conscious of preserving their identity than we foolish Indians now-a-days. recently, I read somewhere that in USA they were showing entire documentary series devoted to capturing interviews from platoons and units that fought in WWII. These guys are all in their 80s now and before their generation dies out, such living history is captured on film. Now imagine how much psy-ops effect it will have on young American generation about their Army and national security...they will be encouraged to join more. I wonder, Where are our heroes of '62, '65, '71 and '99? Of the 90s insurgency in J&K, of the IPKF fiasco? ...why we are not showing them in well documented way rather than these cr@PPy song and dance shows.

I wonder, Where are our heroes of '62, '65, '71 and '99? Of the 90s insurgency in J&K, of the IPKF fiasco? ...why we are not showing them in well documented way rather than these cr@PPy song and dance shows.
They are nowhere cos we do not care for them plain and simple. In USA, even though most Americans hate a war, if a soldier is killed in Iraq you can expect it to atleast get a mention in most news channels. If 5 are killed it would be the main news. Compare this to 5-10 soldiers killed everyday in some parts of India, it is accepeted as a norm and make for a 5th page news. xx