Vijay Appreciation thread.

playing hook or pull earlier is a bad choice like dhawan did. But when he is set' date=' I would like him to see the hook and pull if the ball is there to be hit. I remember pujara didn't play a hook Last match till he got set. He did hooked steyn once he got set. That's what I want to see from Vijay as well. Just to give a message to the bowlers that they just can't keep on bowling short pitch deliveries.[/quote'] Your message should not become "I am here to get out" . What is next? If a player doesn't play straight drive we should not accept him as a player? Best message to send a bowler who tries to bounce you out is ducking and leaving with confidence. No better than that. Because if you can do that 100 out of 100 times you will be successful. But if you go for 100 pulls you might not even have 50% success.
There is no pleasing some people. He didn't bat well on monday and doesn't play pulls after nearing 100. who cares he put india in a good position.
As I said, its just me. No one is gonna complain if he is gonna keep on scoring like this. Maybe I find it attractive when a batsman stoods upto a fast bowler and hooks it like virat kohli did in the first test match. Just to give a message to the bowler that he is not gonna be threatened with the short stuff and bowlers would use it more of a surprising delivery than a threatening one.
It is a risky shot for any player in bouncier conditions. That is one of the easiest "get out" shots if you make slightest error in judgement. As i said in other thread leaving bouncer is much harder. Some of the bouncers he left was priceless. It was right at his body. He just kept his head and hands away brilliantly. Same kind of deliveries every England batsmen could neither pull nor avoid and ended up getting out.
Australian and Saf players are the best (not all) becoz they are used to it from the day they started playing cricket. In our present team kohli is the one who seems to be ok with this shot. i think England players struggled becoz of johnson's slingy action with accuracy and high pace along with the pace and bounce of australian wkts.
As I said' date=' its just me. No one is gonna complain if he is gonna keep on scoring like this. Maybe I find it attractive when a batsman stoods upto a fast bowler and hooks it like virat kohli did in the first test match. Just to give a message to the bowler that he is not gonna be threatened with the short stuff and bowlers would use it more of a surprising delivery than a threatening one.[/quote'] England players tried to give the same "message" and got butchered by Aussies. Alistair cook, Pietersen, Jonathan Trott, STuart Broad.. you name it. :cantstop: If you are there to give message rather than survive and play for team's cause then you are going to be discarded sooner than later.
Australian and Saf players are the best (not all) becoz they are used to it from the day they started playing cricket. In our present team kohli is the one who seems to be ok with this shot. i think England players struggled becoz of johnson's slingy action with accuracy and high pace along with the pace and bounce of australian wkts.
Adelaide hardly had any pace. It was a flat wicket. Even Perth did not have pace.

Don't understand why Zanjeer's point is countered. He actually says Vijay is good and learning to pull the righ deliveries will make him better. Obviously every batsman has to keep on bettering himself and Murali once he gets settled with his current techniques can surely work on his pulls to elevate himself more. I don't think there is any worn with that and hope Zanjeer is not asking him to do that tomorrow or even anywhere in this series itself.

Your message should not become "I am here to get out" . What is next? If a player doesn't play straight drive we should not accept him as a player? Best message to send a bowler who tries to bounce you out is ducking and leaving with confidence. No better than that. Because if you can do that 100 out of 100 times you will be successful. But if you go for 100 pulls you might not even have 50% success.
Leaving with confidence...i find it kinda strange...let me put it in this way. I'm happy Vijay is scoring runs leaving short pitch deliveries. I'm more happier when kohli, pujara, rohit takes on the short pitch deliveries and puts the opposition bowlers in their place.
Leaving with confidence...i find it kinda strange...let me put it in this way. I'm happy Vijay is scoring runs leaving short pitch deliveries. I'm more happier when kohli' date=' pujara, rohit takes on the short pitch deliveries and puts the opposition bowlers in their place.[/quote'] Kohli doesn't pull every ball. Only half trackers he pulls. He is not a stupid to pull balls that come at his body. Neither is Pujara. Your message will be received by the guy at deep square leg. :cantstop:
England players tried to give the same "message" and got butchered by Aussies. Alistair cook' date=' Pietersen, Jonathan Trott, STuart Broad.. you name it. :cantstop: If you are there to give message rather than survive and play for team's cause then you are going to be discarded sooner than later.[/quote'] dravid and sachin played it successfully. I don't know why you keep on harping on failures rather than success stories...:cantstop:..its a scoring shot and our batsmen have shown it that it can be done with high success rate.
dravid and sachin played it successfully. I don't know why you keep on harping on failures rather than success stories...:cantstop:..its a scoring shot and our batsmen have shown it that it can be done with high success rate.
Both of them have ducked more than actually pulled. When they do they look good. Just to send a message will you try to attack the outside the off stump line or leave it harmlessly? You don't play cricket to send messages. Only if you keep getting out to short balls you can try that. When you are bloody good at harmlessly letting the ball go by why bother about sending messages? You have already sent message.
Kohli doesn't pull every ball. Only half trackers he pulls. He is not a stupid to pull balls that come at his body. Neither is Pujara. Your message will be received by the guy at deep square leg. :cantstop:
did you even read what I said? I said when the ball is there to be hit...not every ball..i haven't seen Vijay playing a hook to a fast bowler. I also gave you an example how dravid developed it later part of his career..either you don't know or you just don't want to agree....:cantstop:
did you even read what I said? I said when the ball is there to be hit...not every ball..i haven't seen Vijay playing a hook to a fast bowler. I also gave you an example how dravid developed it later part of his career..either you don't know or you just don't want to agree....:cantstop:
I have hardly seen any freebies for him. ALl of them at his throat. Pull shot and hook shot always a high risk shot. It might not work all the time. You can hit even the rank long hop ball straight to fielder. Shane watson has gotten out so many times like that . It is almost like you don't rate VVS Laxman because he doesn't play lofted shot against spinner to "send message" . Percentage cricket is using your skills judiciously. Ironically M Vijay is definitely one of the most attractive batsman to watch when in flow. Watch his IPL sixes he pulled ball over long on for six
Both of them have ducked more than actually pulled. When they do they look good. Just to send a message will you try to attack the outside the off stump line or leave it harmlessly? You don't play cricket to send messages. Only if you keep getting out to short balls you can try that. When you are bloody good at harmlessly letting the ball go by why bother about sending messages? You have already sent message.
I would again say, " if the ball is there to be hit" not every ball. Dravid and sachin did played hooks whenever they felt the ball was there to be hit. As a result, bowlers knew that if they bowl a bad short pitch delivery, its gonna travel. That's not the case with Vijay, no matter how bad the short pitch delivery is aimed at, he is gonna try and leave it. So, bowlers will keep on bowling it and one small error of judgment, you are gone.