Now that's awesome

Rajiv

MUMBAI: In the drive against drunken driving, the city traffic police booked six people on Saturday night. The booked included Manish Prakash Soni (32), a relative of a music director and Vikram Bhallani, a unit manager of ICICI Prudential Insurance Co. Soni and Bhallani were both fined Rs 2,000 after they tested positive for alcohol at Cooper Hospital. The two were among six drivers caught by the Juhu traffic police for drunken driving. Surprisingly, after the accused deposited the fine amount, they were handed over the keys of their vehicles. "I am surprised as to how the police handed over the keys to all the accused after they deposited the fine amount. They again drove off the vehicle under the influence of alcohol," a source told TOI. The official said, "We are not bothered who the accused is or how influential he is. Our motto is stop drunken driving irrespective of the driver's position in society. And as far as the vehicle's seizure is concerned, we have no authority over it."

And as far as the vehicle's seizure is concerned, we have no authority over it."
Hmm.... strange that. Why don't the cops have control over the vehicle if the driver is drunk? It's all good to fine but do they deduct driver merit points? Also what if the drunk driver crashes and kills a few? The fine isn't going to be enough to cover that. It really strange the drunk drivers are allowed to drive after having been caught. It pretty much means as long as you can afford to pay the fine you can get drunk while driving. Not good at all.

Guest dada_rocks

Drunken driving fine should always take into account the cost of car beign driven that kind of tells what kind of money will hurt the driver and thereby will become a deterrant.. I am not sure they even care about 2000 more so when they get the keys backl sraight a way.. keep them in locker for the night award demerit points .. after few of these infractions cancel the licence...

On contrary, I am happy that he officially paid some fine. Mujhe toh jeb bhi kisi "hawaldaar" ne pakdaa hai, he demanded a crisp 100 Rs. note for offenses like Signal ignoring, no-entry driving etc and eventual bargaining came down to 50. I am sure still 99% people can get away by paying money in this way, unless their is batch checking of inspectors.

I was once stopped when me and my friend walked out of a bar&restaurant having had a nice dinner sans alcohol. The cop argued that we walked out of a bar after 11 PM and we've got to be drunk. He refused to take any breath test. But still confiscated the vehicle in the night. I had to pay 400 Rs to the SI. If it was a constable it would have been 50 or 100. Most of the police make money this way. Sab saale chors...

Why not record the cops taking bribe and put it on this website? If I were asked to pay a bribe to get away and if I had my cellphone I would record the incidence. I would than put that on a website like youtube and send a letter to the higher ups in the police to take a look at it.