Pakistan Elections - 2013

Asim

Just saw some of the election charts on the web. Basically, Imran Khan has won in the urban + elite areas and in NWFP/KPK mainly. Nawaz Shareef has mainly gained in Punjab and won in those other regions where Punjabis constitute a substantial vote bank. In Sindh it was mainly PPP and MQM. It basically was an election between regional parties, and the party with the largest regional demographic constituent won. Its as if there are no national parties in Pakistan, which cut across the regional identity. I fear India will also be heading down the same road in the future. Lots of regional players who won't just be the kingmakers but the kings ( or co-kings) themselves. Nawaz Sharif's re-election doesn't augur too well for India? He started the peace process and at best was a completely kept in the dark ( and in the worst case, complicit) in Pakistan's Kargil misadventure. Comes across as a man who is happy to be in charge as long as he doesn't take on the military. Imran Khan on the other hand, IMO, would have better for India Pakistan relations. He was idealistic, with a clean image and naive. I've oft observed that those who are idealistic+ naive are the most motivated and generally persevere more than others.
Nah. I think these regional parties will slowly fade away and there will be 2 (or 3 at the most) big national parties - this will take at least 15-20 years (or more) but I am certain that this is what will happen eventually. These parties have no internal democracy and the "owners" of these parties blackmail the national parties into following their whims and fantasies in exchange for support - it will take time but people will realize this. Seeing the other parties/leaders in Pak, I think Sharif's election is the best thing that could have happened for Indo-Pak relations. Now the military has become weaker than before and it seems that Sharif wants to further curb the Army's influence - though I don't know whether he will be able to do it or not. Imran Khan had such extreme views on many issues that there was no chance of him being able to run a Govt. Besides, being naive may be a good thing in a somewhat stable country/state but in a country like Pak it would have been a HUGE disadvantage. Imran Khan is currently not a mature politician and being in the opposition will help him to improve as a politician and to grow his party IF he tries to act like a constructive opposition leader.

president elected by parliament after every 5 years, but Zardari is president now and his tenure will be over after 4 months. so Nawaz sharif will take oath from Zardari ... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: results are still comings but for live updates this is the link ... http://election2013.geo.tv/

I accept genuine mandate whichever party wherever got from and no doubt PMLN got success at massive scale but some huge anti-PTI rigging been committed in Lahore and few other regions of Punjab by PMLN and in Karachi by MQM. PTI left this area unworked since they never before faced 'polling day politics' at this scale and assumed everything will go 'fair n free'.... Things will start getting exposed sooner...

Arent there more than 1 lakh polling stations?
the site I quoted is a private organization so most probably they dont have full figures for all polling stations with over 100% polling. There definitely must be a lot more than the ones mentioned on this site.