Why Tendulkar must retire now

Sachin is not a choker ... He is a big match player ... But let us give into it ... His impact on the game (KO or otherwise) hasn't been as big as someone like Gilly' date=' Jayasuriya or Sehwag. He does perform in big games, but doesn't make a match winning statement apart from say CB Series 08 and Sharjah 98. Well I havent watched too many games in the 90s, so there may be some more, like with his bowling in Hero Cup maybe.[/quote'] Ok. So Sehwag's innings in the WC final, is a bigger impact innings than the one's Sachin played in the QF/SF of this WC?

Guys, can't quote all of you ... so just replying to everyone here. I never said Sehwag is a big match player. Quote me if you can. I said his impact on the game is more and I bracketed Knockout or otherwise. Rather I said Sachin is a big match player ... See LINE 1 Statement 2 of post # 480 in this thread. So I dont think anyone needs to jump on their gun and question me about irrevalent points you make up in your mind.

Wait. Oz chased a massive score of 123 in the finals of the WC. That task was as uphill for Pakistan as it was for India to chase 360 in the 2003 WC. Or did Wasim and co choke there? :hmmm:
West Indies failed to chase 183 in 1983 ... Its important in a low scoring game to start well and not let world class bowlers of the opposition not get on top of you and Gilly ensured that.
And walking or no walking' date=' he was out. It was his personal prerogative to do so.[/quote'] His own prerogative yeah ... Thats what I'm saying. High Pressure game, WC on stake ... How many players can do that. It isn't like all Aussies walk neither it is like Sachin always walk. He had the guts to admit he hit it and act on it. But I do agree he failed in that game. So I give you that. I was just saying to make a point as when someone says Sachin batted beautifully against Pakistan in 2011, I disagree. It was one of the most ugly innings I ever saw him play.
West Indies failed to chase 183 in 1983 ... Its important in a low scoring game to start well and not let world class bowlers of the opposition not get on top of you and Gilly ensured that.
Ok so we are into glorifying knocks for the sake of it now. 123, by all means is a very miniscule total. 70% of the battle is already won by the team. It takes just a solid openig stand of 30-40 runs to ensure that opposition does not get on top of you. Also, cricket in 1983 was a whole lot different from 1999.
His own prerogative yeah ... Thats what I'm saying. High Pressure game, WC on stake ... How many players can do that. It isn't like all Aussies walk neither it is like Sachin always walk. He had the guts to admit he hit it and act on it. But I do agree he failed in that game. So I give you that. I was just saying to make a point as when someone says Sachin batted beautifully against Pakistan in 2011, I disagree. It was one of the most ugly innings I ever saw him play.
We are not discussing the records from the "Being human" point of view or from the guts of keeping the spirit of the game alive POV. Sachin did not bat beautifully but he stuck around with luck and grit. Pitch was very slow,run scoring was difficult and bowling was good. And I am not hyping up things to make it look good. It was scratchy yet a match tilting one.
Sachin is not a choker ... He is a big match player ... But let us give into it ... His impact on the game (KO or otherwise) hasn't been as big as someone like Gilly' date= Jayasuriya or Sehwag. He does perform in big games, but doesn't make a match winning statement apart from say CB Series 08 and Sharjah 98. Well I havent watched too many games in the 90s, so there may be some more, like with his bowling in Hero Cup maybe.
That is a fact. It is not about being a choker. He failed in the finals and while chasing in important games, in general, when a player who played in so many games should have had a bigger impact and more importantly who is held on such a high pedestal for no reason. To call him the best ODI batsman based just on his record, which is an offshoot of the number of games he played, is not true at all. There were players, just who played for India that have performed better than him in bigger games, while chasing (WC 2011 final, is one such example). There is no doubting there is a certain hype associated with Tendulkar, where people are carried away by his record, they seem to be compelled to annoint him the best ODI batsman. Not true at all.
That is a fact. It is not about being a choker. He failed in the finals and while chasing in important games, in general, when a player who played in so many games should have had a bigger impact and more importantly who is held on such a high pedestal for no reason. To call him the best ODI batsman based just on his record, which is an offshoot of the number of games he played, is not true at all. There were players, just who played for India that have performed better than him in bigger games, while chasing (WC 2011 final, is one such example). There is no doubting there is a certain hype associated with Tendulkar, where people are carried away by his record, they seem to be compelled to annoint him the best ODI batsman. Not true at all.
Err, sorry, please point to the matches where he failed while chasing in important games apart from the WC finals? Of the cuff, I can remember the sharjah matches and CB series finals he single-handedly won. As for the WC finals, he failed only once truly, in the other match he was chasing 360+. All your other so called big players never had a single wc final where they started from a handicap of 360+. So according to your brain, because a player played better in one single match (Wc 2011) that becomes more important than a 20 year career? Bear in mind Sachin is amongst the best players of finals India has and his average in those finals we won was almost 100 before last wc final. So I dont know what big matches are you talking about, please clarify
Heard one expert saying on a IPL related program if Mumbai Indians win the IPL' date=' Sachin may retire on a high!![/quote'] :facepalm: Retiring on a high in Tests would have been after the Australia tour. It was a low for the cricket team, but it was a good opportunity to bow out.
Heard one expert saying on a IPL related program if Mumbai Indians win the IPL' date=' Sachin may retire on a high!![/quote'] Wishful thinking. Tendulkar will go to South Africa. I still remember how the great Kapil Dev had to be virtually dragged out of the team. Hope Tendulkar does better than that.