The French Open 2013

Cricketics

Back from Injury and having to play qualifying rounds, Somdev Devvarman of India has won all 3 qualifying rounds and was through to Main Draw. He faced a spaniard and won the first round in straight sets. He is facing Roger Federer in round 2.

So far only the one major upset, with Monfils knocking out Berdych in a very absorbing match and atmosphere. We've not gone through all of the first round matches yet, but we can say this, Federer has a very easy draw compared to Nadal and Djokovic. World tennis and the French Open needed Nadal and Djokovic to be in seperate halves so they could meet in the final, it hasn't worked out that way. Djokovic is the only man (if you discount upsets and shocks) capable of beating Nadal and the only one who Nadal actually feels threatended by. I know Fed fans will say it's the luck of the draw, but if Fed gets through to the final, it will be the same humiliation he has suffered against Nadal on Clay so many times in the past. Yesterday Nadal suffered a minor scare which could have been far worse had D Brands been mentally stronger, but Nadal came through in the end. There's a lesson for the big hitters against Nadal, go for your shots, keep bashing the ball and you'll get some success, as Rosol did in Wimbledon last year and as Gulbis was doing against him in a recent Clay series.

Yes Dissapointed to see that Berdych result, like him as a player exciting to watch but not the most consistent. I would really like to see him get a slam win but can not string together enough good days in a tourno. I guess grass is his surface of choice so maybe a bit of rest will help him for Wimbledon. Sadly Del Potro is out with illness wpuld have loved to see him do well here Monfils is a good talent and im sure the home support would have helped him loads.

Very simple draw for Federer. He doesn't have potential threats in his half nor heavyweights like Djoko or Nadal. It's calculated risk to put your bets on Federer. Federer just have to have one tough match and if he wins that he'll be crowned champion. And if Djoko manages to beat Nadal which he, and probably only he in whole line up, is capable of, Federer would fancy his chances against him in Final. On the other side if Nadal defeats Djoko, Federer would be better off by preserving himself for Wimbledon than putting too much effort in Final as that not going to help. So to win trophy Nadal has to win one big match (against Djoko in SF), Federer has to win one big match against Djoko in F (assuming Djoko beats Nadal) and Djoko has to win 2 big matches. Going by that, if I had to put my money one of Federer or Djoko, I'll put on Federe. Of course first favourite remains Nadal.

i agree,easy draw for fed,in the past few years the player ranked 2 has got a better draw compared to #1,sh1t draw system tbh..most likely the winner of djokodal semi will be the champion(hope not)..tsonga can be the surprise element of the tournie with a large home support..looking forward to some great matches

Very simple draw for Federer. He doesn't have potential threats in his half nor heavyweights like Djoko or Nadal. It's calculated risk to put your bets on Federer. Federer just have to have one tough match and if he wins that he'll be crowned champion. And if Djoko manages to beat Nadal which he, and probably only he in whole line up, is capable of, Federer would fancy his chances against him in Final. On the other side if Nadal defeats Djoko, Federer would be better off by preserving himself for Wimbledon than putting too much effort in Final as that not going to help. So to win trophy Nadal has to win one big match (against Djoko in SF), Federer has to win one big match against Djoko in F (assuming Djoko beats Nadal) and Djoko has to win 2 big matches. Going by that, if I had to put my money one of Federer or Djoko, I'll put on Federe. Of course first favourite remains Nadal.
:hatsoff: Exactly my thoughts.

Ok let's consider both scenarios. Nadal vs Federer, does anyone out there think Federer stands a chance of even winning 1 set? Djokovic vs Federer, do people really think Federer at his age, can stay physically toe to toe with Djokovic who at 26 is at his peak. Put simply, it's very unlikely for Fed to win this GS, I will go a step further and say, Federer will not win another slam, he's too old, a shadow of his former self. That is why world tennis needed Djokovic and Nadal to be in different halves.

Yes His draw has worked out easier because of Murrays absence, other wise he would have been 3rd seed and faced Novak in Semis right. Also if Juan Martin was fit it could have been him v fed in QFs I think Im right in saying, not to mention Berdych losing means thats a very dangerous semi opponent out of the way. Tsonga in QFs will be tough even if Fed is the favourite there and then its likely to be Ferrer vs Fed in one semi now. And Fed totally has Ferrers number even on clay...

Have some faith in Somdev. I have followed his career very closely. I have been to plenty of games of his which he played here. He has just recovedred from a major shoulder injury. This time around, I think he is playing his best tennis. He won 3 straight qualifying rounds to reach here. I am not saying he is going to come out and beat Federer, but him getting support out there from India media and stuff an really pump him up. This guy is beating is ball players who are ranked under 100 now. His own ranking dropped to 200 something because he wasn't playing tournaments as he was injured, but after coming back, he has reached to 166 already and is beating some top 100 players with ease. Surely he is playing a top 100 tennis. That won't be enough to beat Federer, but I think his run here in qualifying round will just give him a little edge to perform and be a tricky opponent.

Somdev is a very average tennis player, he might be the best from south asia, but overall he's very average. The problem with Somdev is the lack of weaponry, he doesn't have the defensive skills of a Djokovic, nor does he possess even a fraction of the power that Del Potro has. Somdev would need to play his best tennis consistently for 5 sets and hope the top guys are on an off day, even that will probably not be enough.

Somdev got to be more aggressive there. He is playing deent but not able to win those long rallies. Any rally which goes beyond 5 is being won by Roger. This is where he ihas been disappointing today so far. Come on Som.
Somdev failed to give any challenge :((

Everyone knows Nadal is the favourite for the tournament, but there is one many who definitely has the game and confidence to beat him, Djokovic. The French Open needed these two guys in the final to give a contest, otherwise you'd expect either Nadal to absolutely walk home in the final, or for Djokovic to win comfortably against anyone from the other other sde of the draw. Drawing the two main guys in the same half is the worst thign that can happen for a tournament.