Handing the captaincy over to Dhoni and electronic media threatre!!

Chandan

I must say that I have started to wonder if there are Indian fans who would much rather see him shot down" ....
For starters the myriad of "problems" faced by Dravid and how the stress got to him. Dhoni, on the other hand, has clearly won the very first tournament he led his team into, amidst all the pressure. Specially in semis against World Champion, and in finals against Potential rivals. Give the lad the credit where its due rather than become doomsayer xxx

Dravid must be feeling very glad that he announced the decision to quit before the 20-20 WC. Otherwise it would have been a lose-lose situation for him now. If he stayed as the captain, the media would have had a field day tarnishing his captaincy, or if he resigned after the WC, they would have come up with some other interpretations.

wasnt everyone saying dravid is the best captain, smart, shrewd yada yada when he won record no .of matches by chasing in ODIs..... so wheres he now??? Dhoni played jus 8 matches of T20.. so he has the calibre .. I think everyone shud give some time n exp to assess him.... otherwise im sure dhoni will b facing wat dravid was facing if he starts loosing the matches.. just a series defeat against Pak is enuf for these vultures to pull him down....

Guest dada_rocks
Yea' date=' wait for your team to become a laughing stock and then get kicked out...that is class. :haha:[/quote'] Luaghign stock : 4-2 scoreline in 6 match series and drawn test is certainly not a laughing stock.. and yes those who brave the storm certainly do have class as opposed to pansies who throw towel saying " mummy vengsarkar ne aankh dikhaya":hysterical:
Luaghign stock : 4-2 scoreline in 6 match series and drawn test is certainly not a laughing stock.. and yes those who brave the storm certainly do have class as opposed to pansies who throw towel saying " mummy vengsarkar ne aankh dikhaya":hysterical:
holland series natwest series asia cup pak ODI series :giggle:
I find it highly patronizing to be told where I live, or do not live. Dhoni coming on television channels had little to do with Dhoni himself! Please feel free to read articles on the very same media that you are chastising where Dhoni clearly says his team not to get carried away. Yes I do, thanks very much. And again this has little to do with Dhoni himself. This has more to do with Indian media, and people like me and you, who feed off it. The very same media also highlighted how Indian hockey players who won Asia Cup are greatly saddened at not receiving even half the mention as Indian 20/20 cricketers and a few of them are planning to go on hunger strike infront of a CM. With all due respect I do not see you, or anyone else for that matter, highlighting that. Point being - Stop chastising media, or Dhoni. If you wanna find fault stop with Indian fans first. Again quite patronizing for you to make me see the perspective. Can we keep personal issues here?? xxx
Can't believe that you thought I was being patronising and getting personal when I said you might not be knowing the drama on the TV news channels in India!!! And this article is criticizing the electronic media, not the print media. There is big difference between the two. In print, at least you can find a few good jouros but I'm yet to find a decent news channel in India. And I've not understood which part you found you inflammatory in the article!! Can you quote those areas and explain what was there which you didn't agree with, just to enlighten me?

So what do you think of Harsha's and Rajaraman's views. Would you give your own opinion in the backdrop of the ODI series to be started against Australia? Will you become as cruel as the electronic media if Dhoni makes a few mistakes or some of his moves don't come off? Or would you stick by him?

I think it is too early and foolish to judge dhoni as a captain based on this. Its a dramatic entry, but its like a wicket on debut. Nilesh Kulkarni took a wicket of his 1st ball in tset cricket. That doesnt mean he is a gr8 bowler. Narender hirwani got 16 wickets in his 1st test outing. He didnt play much longer at the international level. Dhoni has proved himself to be level headed. If he can continue this in the entire aussie series, esp with 3 seniors around, then and only then, should we even start discussing about dhoni as a captain....

We like what we see of Dhoni For a violent batsman, Dhoni appears to own the calm of a wartime surgeon, writes Rohit Brijnath It’s hard to find an unused adjective to compliment Mahendra Singh Dhoni because an entire dictionary of them has been thrown at him. Herein begins his first test: maintaining his balance as a cricketer even while he is hailed as a God. We don’t know Dhoni yet, we only presume to, but it’s impossible not to like what we see, or to be unwilling to follow him on a cricketing adventure. For a violent batsman, Dhoni appears to own the calm of a wartime surgeon. No man is immune to nerves, but he managed his well, his body language radiating an assurance that his team and his country held onto. A youthful captain driving a young team can be disadvantaged by the absence of experience, yet also advantaged by a sense of connectedness through age. With Dravid or Tendulkar perhaps players feel a trifle restrained; with Dhoni, who shares their vocabulary, their play had the scent of abandon. Admirable control Being the underdogs, partially freed the players. But Dhoni further unchained them by offering them the licence to express their skills and emotions, yet himself stayed in admirable control amidst the exuberance. So rare is such victory in India that predictably there is a leaning towards over-praise. In such times, a winning captain is portrayed as absent of any flaw, yet no one is sure of how Dhoni will manage defeat, criticism, dressing room grumbles. To draw too many conclusions about his team would be folly, too, for the true test of any skill is to repeat it over long periods and Twenty20 doesn’t demand that. For all the effusiveness over India’s fielding, their athleticism was required for only 20 overs. Anyway, all tests of intensity are waiting in Australian yellow. Ponting’s men have not liked being second best, and already some are grumbling uncharitably. Dhoni has earned his million love letters, and a period where India should suspend judgement and let him grow. He had better be as tough as he looks for the BCCI’s job is simply to make his harder. Giving one crore to Yuvraj Singh for hitting six shots, however beautiful, is not just vulgar in a poor country, it is a celebration of individualism when Indian captains are valiantly trying to sell the idea of ‘team’. But then officials, who pushed themselves into the team photograph in South Africa, thrive on playing to the gallery. Interesting days await Interesting days await Dhoni. When this writer asked John Buchanan what he might advise the young Indian captain, a short list was hurriedly drawn up. First, said the former Australian coach, with a quiet laugh, Dhoni should arm himself with a coach. Second, “he should be clear in what type of game he’s trying to deliverâ€. Does he want everyone to go hard like him, to be nervy and in your face? What combinations does he prefer, batting in depth, spinner-heavy or mostly pacers? Third, says Buchanan, he will have to spend time to make this vision happen, he will have to be patient. “If he wants to take India in a direction, it takes timeâ€. Fourth, in between dealing with selectors and the media, he has to allocate time to invest in his own game. Fifth, he must summon individual players and instruct them about the team he envisions, the roles he expects of them. Tricky This could be tricky with two captains. Tendulkar as Test captain will allow Dhoni to settle himself in one-dayers, but dissimilar captaincy styles, just as a supposedly new team is forming, could also become confusing. On Wednesday, Dhoni said, “Guys from small towns are generally mentally and physically tougher than those coming from the metros.†City fellows will rightfully argue this, but it is not a new theory. In tennis, it is argued that American women have declined because they are spoilt, while Russian and Serbian women, who lack facilities, have risen because they are hungrier. They just want it more. It is this insatiable greed for success that Dhoni has to infect his team with. ------------------------------------------------ I like what Buchanan has said. And I hope Dhoni succeeds. He is young and I hope public as well as media are patient with him.