Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh devastated by rain; 550+ dead, thousands stranded

rkt.india

Thalisainn. Are you garhwali?
Close to that place.....stalker!:--D Dad is in contact with the village pradhan ...seems like things are normal.That side is not a tourist destination so I guess it must be like any other bad monsoon there.

Close to that place.....stalker!:--D Dad is in contact with the village pradhan ...seems like things are normal.That side is not a tourist destination so I guess it must be like any other bad monsoon there.
stalker? :nervous: PS: Yeah. No lives lost there. Another cloud burst today in village Mehuwala, 30-40 km away from my place. Large amount of water coming here.

Uploading map of Uttarakhand so that people can make more sense out of news and other discussions. 2vajad1.gif One thing I observed during this media coverage is that how poorly our media cover such news. I didn't see a single channel constructing news comprehensively using a map having description of places,routes and rivers properly. Watching their news you fail to understand whether Rambada is more far off place or Guptkashi is. There was no story telling showing sequence of events or how things unfolded. You are left with to do all the hard work on research to make sense of the news which they were shouting. Very poor coverage indeed. All they were interested in claiming that they were the first one to reach at some place which can't be appreciated much by audience if they don't know how remote or inaccessible that place is.

Uploading map of Uttarakhand so that people can make more sense out of news and other discussions. 2vajad1.gif One thing I observed during this media coverage is that how poorly our media cover such news. I didn't see a single channel constructing news comprehensively using a map having description of places,routes and rivers properly. Watching their news you fail to understand whether Rambada is more far off place or Guptkashi is. There was no story telling showing sequence of events or how things unfolded. You are left with to do all the hard work on research to make sense of the news which they were shouting. Very poor coverage indeed. All they were interested in claiming that they were the first one to reach at some place which can't be appreciated much by audience if they don't know how remote or inaccessible that place is.
Regarding char dhams: Yamunotri and Gangotri are in Uttarkashi district. Kedarnath in Rudraprayag district. Mandakini river emerges from here. Badrinath in Chamoli district. Alaknanda river emerges from here. Mandakini coming from Kedar Glacier and Alaknanda from Badri meets in Rudrpayag which is called Sangam. From Rudraprayag, it is only known as Alaknanda. char-dham-map.jpg

river map rivergaugemap.jpg

The confluence of the Bhagirathi and Alaknanda rivers become Ganga. Although many small streams comprise the headwaters of the Ganges, the six longest and their five confluences are considered sacred. The six headstreams are the Alaknanda, Dhauliganga, Nandakini, Pindar, Mandakini, and Bhagirathi rivers. The five confluences, known as the Panch Prayag, are all along the Alaknanda. They are, in downstream order, Vishnuprayag, where the Dhauliganga joins the Alaknanda; Nandprayag, where the Nandakini joins; Karnaprayag, where the Pindar joins, Rudraprayag, where the Mandakini joins; and finally, Devprayag, where the Bhagirathi joins the Alaknanda to form the Ganges River proper.[18]

times now said its above 1200 officially i believe it`ll be more than 5000 but tampering will also occur in the toll report
Detritus around Kedar temple is about 8-10 feet in height which is yet to be shoveled. We might get more dead bodies there.