Confessions Of... A Flight Attendant

fineleg

Happy hour, any hour If you want to meet flight attendants outside the work environment, it's as simple as going to the bar of the hotel nearest the airport, where you'll find airline crews unwinding at any time of day. Sometimes we party with staff from another airline in someone's room, the hotel lounge, or poolside. Snacks and cocktails are always provided by the airline (wink, wink). Smiling is job one Airlines put would-be flight attendants through four or five interviews before hiring them. The interviewers specifically look to hire people who are sweet and smile as much as possible--and what better testing ground for that than a few rounds of job interviews? After getting hired, I attended five weeks of flight training. It was during the course that I found out a certain amount of makeup is required of female flight attendants, as are high heels when you're in uniform outside the plane. (Flats are recommended on flights.) But no rule is as important as nodding your head, addressing passengers as "sir" and "ma'am," and smiling. Block time Passengers always take out their frustrations about delays on the crew, claiming we must be thrilled to receive overtime pay. But 99 percent of flight attendants are paid only for "block time"--from when a plane pushes back from the gate until it opens its doors at the arrival city. When there are delays, flight attendants can work a 13-hour day yet receive only seven hours' pay. Want a stiff drink? Tipping is not encouraged by the airlines, but greatly appreciated by the staff. The key is insisting that we take the money; we're not allowed to accept it on the first attempt. I make doubly sure to attend to the needs of anyone who has tipped me, sometimes throwing in a free round--and the drinks are always strong. Another way to the crew's heart is to give them snacks. Day in, day out, we stare at the same dull airline food. So we're overjoyed when a passenger treats us with fancy chocolates or even packaged trail mix. Simply wait until boarding is complete, hand the gift to a flight attendant, and say, "This is a little something for your crew." Pet peeves If it's a short flight, please use the airport's restrooms before boarding. On many short flights, we're required to do the full beverage and snack service, which is incredibly difficult when there are people in the aisle. Other ways to get under a flight attendant's skin: asking for beverages and food before we even take off; requesting seconds before the rest of the cabin has been served; ringing the call button so you can give us your trash after we've passed through with a garbage bag half a dozen times; ringing the call button to find out when we'll land. Basically, you never want to push the call button at all. First-class perks Our business-class passengers receive unlimited free cocktails and snacks. But management actually discourages flight attendants from offering these passengers our "expensive" snacks. When taking an order in business class, we're supposed to mention only the items that sell in coach for $2. We give the stuff that goes for $4 or $5 strictly on request. So if you're in business class, open up the airline magazine and take a look at what's offered onboard. If you ask for something you see, your flight attendant has to hand it over. Note: This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.

Good thread. I sometimes wonder on the job of being a flight attendant. Though it looks glamorous to the outside world , it must be one of the most repetitive jobs ever, doing the SAME thing again and again. Recently , i was on a coast-to-coast flight. The flight made a halt at an major airport in the middle , dropped off some passengers and some new ones boarded. The flight attendants though , were the same. That was the first time i saw the same flight attendant doing the safety drill thingy twice ( the seat-belt , oxygen mask). It was then that i noticed how mechanical her face looked as she did the drill. She had this totally uninterested look on her face , as if she knew nobody was listening yet resigned to the fact that she HAD to do it.

Some of the Cabin crews, at the airport where I work, doesn't look that stressed, though there are many others with high stress, due to rotating shift, travelling and routine work of public dealing. These guyz are usually, given a good training...but, what unique thing I have observed is they don't stay in one airline, for more than 6-8 months, at least the people whom I know keep changing the job frequently.

Good thread. but not enough material that was unknown. I always tip the FAs when I buy alcohol. I get an extra bottle (those cute small ones) each time. The AIs ones are the ones who are rude. I can understand that after seeing how educated travellers behave with FAs. They treat them like servants and they wan them to be on their beck and call, whenever Mr. highness has a need.

Guest dada_rocks
Good thread. I sometimes wonder on the job of being a flight attendant. Though it looks glamorous to the outside world , it must be one of the most repetitive jobs ever, doing the SAME thing again and again. Recently , i was on a coast-to-coast flight. The flight made a halt at an major airport in the middle , dropped off some passengers and some new ones boarded. The flight attendants though , were the same. That was the first time i saw the same flight attendant doing the safety drill thingy twice ( the seat-belt , oxygen mask). It was then that i noticed how mechanical her face looked as she did the drill. She had this totally uninterested look on her face , as if she knew nobody was listening yet resigned to the fact that she HAD to do it.
Every job becomes repetitive so in order to keep one's interest intact with what one is doing one needs to keep changing stream at least every 6 years. I get bored within three years. Still remmeber those dreary semiconductor memory design project days; one after another for three years I kept doing that it got so repetitive I cud finish the job asleep. Yes yes when this happens they start calling you expert :haha: Meet safety drill expert flight attendant, that would be some introduction:cantstop:

Every job becomes repetitive so in order to keep one's interest intact with what one is doing one needs to keep changing stream at least every 6 years. I get bored within three years. Still remmeber those dreary semiconductor memory design project days; one after another for three years I kept doing that it got so repetitive I cud finish the job asleep. Yes yes when this happens they start calling you expert :haha: Meet safety drill expert flight attendant, that would be some introduction:cantstop:
DR, What you say is true. Doing any one job can become very boring and repetitive, irrespective of it whether it is semiconductors or bus conductors.

DR, What you say is true. Doing any one job can become very boring and repetitive, irrespective of it whether it is semiconductors or bus conductors.
Good one ! :haha: DR is right , cant stay in one job for more than 3-4 years.. How i wish i can be a student always ! Too bad my student life is going to end in 75 days !:cry_smile:

Good one ! :haha: DR is right , cant stay in one job for more than 3-4 years.. How i wish i can be a student always ! Too bad my student life is going to end in 75 days !:cry_smile:
Looking at the bright side, you will have "money" in your hands. Means you can subscribe to cricket packages and watch them :D PS: Have you already gotten a job? If so, these are the best 75 days in your life...job in hand, nothing else to worry.

Looking at the bright side, you will have "money" in your hands. Means you can subscribe to cricket packages and watch them :D PS: Have you already gotten a job? If so, these are the best 75 days in your life...job in hand, nothing else to worry.
Yea , you are definately right about the "More money" part of it. Its about time i saw some more zeroes in my pay-check ! I think this going to be the longest 75 days of my life, I am already in "graduated" mode ! :D

Guest dada_rocks
Good enjoy while it lasts.. BTW I have already made up my mind to go back to school this time for MBA in 2-3 years time from now (Although I have no fascination for MBA education whatsoever:cantstop: ) just a conduit for next break from the job....

Good enjoy while it lasts.. BTW I have already made up my mind to go back to school this time for MBA in 2-3 years time from now (Although I have no fascination for MBA education whatsoever:cantstop: ) just a conduit for next break from the job....
IMO, dont go and study something you are not fascinated with. As it is, many from India do exactly that for bachelors and the first Masters, because only "certain studies" are blessed by parents and society. And we are "tuned" to go that path. But, now you have already done Bachelors degree according to "prescribed" rules, maybe even did a Masters (according to prescribed rules of parents and cousins and uncles etc)...Well, maybe not "rules" but INFLUENCES may be a better word. We are all influenced, rather than choose what we like to study. Now, when you have more freedom, make sure you study what you love! If you do an MBA just becos it is an MBA, I dont think you will enjoy it.

IMO, dont go and study something you are not fascinated with. As it is, many from India do exactly that for bachelors and the first Masters, because only "certain studies" are blessed by parents and society. And we are "tuned" to go that path. But, now you have already done Bachelors degree according to "prescribed" rules, maybe even did a Masters (according to prescribed rules of parents and cousins and uncles etc)...Well, maybe not "rules" but INFLUENCES may be a better word. We are all influenced, rather than choose what we like to study. Now, when you have more freedom, make sure you study what you love! If you do an MBA just becos it is an MBA, I dont think you will enjoy it.
Wow ! How much i can relate with that.. This was REAL conversation between me and my Dad a couple of weeks ago. .. Me : Dad , I got a job in IT.. blah blah ( all the technicalities) . I am going to join this January. Dad : Great , but why arent you working in Engineering ? Me : Coz I am not interested in Engineering. Dad : Then why did you do a masters in Engineering ? Me : Now that you have asked , i think i shouldnt have done my masters in engineering. Dad : What ? Then why did you B.E ? Me : Actually , I shouldnt have done B.E either. I should have done a B.A and done an MBA straight after that. ( Is thinking within himself , "What do you mean why did you do B.E ? I did it because you forced me to. Have you forgotten that so soon ? ) Dad : But Son , no one would marry a guy who did just B.A. Everyone is asking for a B.E , M.S Me : This is ridiculous , am i studying for myself or for my wife ? ( Slams the phone hard)