The US OPEN 2013/US OPEN SERIES

Cricketics

That is what we need don't we? We don't need a single set of players dominating. It's good to have multiple different winners. We are heading towards a time where we might see 4 different grandslam winners in a year and that is what the game needs. You don't want to see Nadal or Djoko or even Fed running through all slams in the year. Nadal and Djokovic are currently hard to beat really by any of the other guns, but they are still not dominating anymore like they were a while back. Players are stepping up and Murray seem to have won a grandlsma in the middle. Nadal is not going to win next 10 out of 10 slams. He might have couple of years ago with the form of his and others not good enough.
I think you are not getting the point that I am trying to make. I am very happy with the present state of tennis and also for the next 2-3 years. The current top players are 26-27 already. They are not exactly spring chickens. Tennis players generally tend to decline from the age of about say 28. My concern was regarding the guys in the age group of 20-23, who are supposed to be the future of tennis. None of those guys seem to be good enough to carry forward the mantle of the current champions and because of that the current top guys may end up with an extended time period at the top.
This won't be happening anymore. Atleast for next 10 years, we will have plenty of different grandslam winners.
That's a very long term prediction, frankly we don't know what's going to happen in the next 10 years. We can only comment on the immediate future. .

Devvarman won R1 against Lucas Lacko in 5 sets. :yay:
So glad Somdev won. :two_thumbs_up: He was 2 sets up before rain halted play. He clearly lost momentum there after rain, or one can say the other way around. Lacko looked more comfortable after the resume of play. I think they key in today's game for Somdev was that hey played more "Safe" play. His opponent was making lot of unforced errors at the same time not getting any winners during wrong rallies, so Somdev kept putting the ball across the court instead of going for big shots and played safe and made his opponent make the error in judgement. Well done Somdev for hanging in there.

Federer and Nadal in action today but the match of the day without a doubt has to be Monfils vs Isner. Shame about the timing, won't be able to see it. I don't understand the logic of finishing on a Monday, maybe I'm missing something but isn't it more sensible to start one day earlier as a pose to finishing a day later.

Missing the point. I wanted to know if statistically this difference is because of fact that from this point onwards Nasal needs to win 6 matches while Djoko 7. If betting sides use any probability theory than it is not difficult to believe that at least some part of this difference is because of that one win that nadal already have. I'll check odds after djoko's first round today. That should clarify few things.
As expected, after Djoko also getting an easy first round victory, difference in odds is much less (between him and Nadal) then what it was earlier. Though Nadal still continues to be favourite. Studying trends of odds makes an interesting exercise particularly if you have some interest in probability and statistics.

Monfils vs Isner going on and I am at the stadium watching this. Monfils just played a blinder after falling down. Isner serving beast. Great crowd and great fun.
Cool, watched it on TV, great atmosphere and it was funny that the crowd started to cheer for Monfils from the 3rd set till the end of 4th. They switched side again once Isner got to match points. :haha:

Well went to sleep after Andy Murray started to coast vs Leonardo Mayer, but woke up to see some incredible results. Mayer must have broken Murray 3 times in the 3rd set to take it to a 4th, maybe 4 breaks of server cause he was well and truly on ropes at that time. Murray obviously fitter and the more complete player upped his level in the 4th. What about Hewitt defeating Delpo, on the one hand it's great for Hewitt, the former champ and top notch player showing he still has the fight and desire. But on the other hand how sad for the tournament, one of the potential dark horses getting knocked out so early and opening up one section of the draw. I'm sad for Del Po, I think as much as he has tried and as much as fans like to think, he's never quite been the same player since injury. He's more sluggish, not willing to go for winners on his BH side. Evans vs Robredo should be good today, the rest of the matches you'd expect the higher seeded players to win. Can't see Dodig or Mannarino having the weapons to challenger. Though Dodig could take a set if he has a run of games, but that's all he'll have. But Del Po, really disappointed.

^He said post match that the wrist is troubling him, do feel sorry for the guy Im not and never have been a fan of Hewitt, yes there is plenty to admire in his spirit and tenacity but at his peak he was pretty dislikable and arrogant- to be fair he has mellowed with age. The best thing that Federer did for the world was save us from an era of Hewitt dominating. Also he is not a particularly talented player, bit like Roddick in that he made the most of his relatively limited ability-again, plenty to admire in that though.

^He said post match that the wrist is troubling him, do feel sorry for the guy Im not and never have been a fan of Hewitt, yes there is plenty to admire in his spirit and tenacity but at his peak he was pretty dislikable and arrogant- to be fair he has mellowed with age. The best thing that Federer did for the world was save us from an era of Hewitt dominating. Also he is not a particularly talented player, bit like Roddick in that he made the most of his relatively limited ability-again, plenty to admire in that though.
That's true, I have never been a fan of him as well. He even made a very racist comment in a match against Blake in 2001. But you gotta admire his will to keep fighting.