DHOOM:3 TEASER - Aamir Khan | Abhishek Bachchan | Katrina

rkt.india

FYI.....last time I checked it was a movie and not a documentary or a retelling of a real event.i never said the movie was flawless,all I am saying is the body of work aamir has to show for,far overshadows srk's.
Far from being flawless, it was a piece of crap.
Lagaan will easily make to any top countdowns in Indian cinema,I doubt too many srk movies will get the same honor.i am not talking about box office,just in terms of filmmaking .
Yeah countdowns which carry no meaning - look at some of the stuff you posted above aboutLagaan being the only Indian movie being in some XYZ list. That implies that Lagaan is the best Indian movie - I am sure even you will laugh at that notion.
Sholay,chak de,deewar all critically well received movies have caricatures....so your point?
Which caricature did Deewar have?

Far from being flawless, it was a piece of crap. Yeah countdowns which carry no meaning - look at some of the stuff you posted above aboutLagaan being the only Indian movie being in some XYZ list. That implies that Lagaan is the best Indian movie - I am sure even you will laugh at that notion. Which caricature did Deewar have?
The mom,2 brothers one being the honest cop and the other turning out to be a smuggler or whatever the hell he was,etc

The mom' date='2 brothers one being the honest cop and the other turning out to be a smuggler or whatever the hell he was,etc[/quote'] Huh? You are losing the plot here. What you described above is the story, not the characters. Lagaan had caricatures in place of characters with stuff like langda and loola. And anyways, Deewar's plot looks hackneyed in hindsight because it was copied by so many movies in the future, but when it was released it was hardly a hackneyed story line.

Huh? You are losing the plot here. What you described above is the story, not the characters. Lagaan had caricatures in place of characters with stuff like langda and loola. And anyways, Deewar's plot looks hackneyed in hindsight because it was copied by so many movies in the future, but when it was released it was hardly a hackneyed story line.
Topic for another day....why are you avoiding my main point of comparing srk's body of work to aamir's. You are here to nitpick about a movie that received international acclaim where as ignoring the crap srk has churned time and time again

Topic for another day....why are you avoiding my main point of comparing srk's body of work to aamir's. You are here to nitpick about a movie that received international acclaim where as ignoring the crap srk has churned time and time again
Yeah, the same sheet again - if you don't like Modi you are a Congressi, if you don't like Aamir you are a Shahrukh fan. Can you try to pull the discussion out of the drain?

What body movement? I'm not an SRK fan either, as my posts would prove, but what exactly is this body movement of Amir? 3 Idiots? As lame as the movie and book was, its not a benchmark to judge an actor. And don't bring up Depp's comparsion with Amir. Amir used to and still does a lot, lot more lame movies compared to a Johnny Depp. I watched Lagaan ages back and vaguely remember the scenes in it. And it surely is the most overrated movie in India.

I watched Lagaan ages back and vaguely remember the scenes in it. And it surely is the most overrated movie in India.
Dude it's a pathetic movie on the lines of "Hamaare loole, langde aur apphij bhi goron ko hara denge" :wall: As for Deewar, which was discussed earlier in the thread to be compared to a piece of crap like Lagaan is a disgusting joke. The best part about the movie that I found was that it was and still is conceived to be a violent movie, but in reality there are only 2 scenes with fights. Such is the subluminal effect of Yash Chopra's direction in the movie. The violence always exists in the backdrop and characters on screen. Purely on film making abilities I would rank it as the best Indian film ever, but Sholay was more entertaining and masala, so overall I would pick Sholay. In a day and age where songs used to be a huge selling points of movies, Yash Chopra cut two from the final print which are still only available on the OST, to make the movie more taut. Of course it did not go down well with RD Burman and they never worked again.

Here is my top 10 from an earlier thread:

1. Sholay - The greatest movie ever made, the biggest star cast ever assembled. Salim-Javed at their best. Terrific work by Sanjeev Kumar and Amjad Khan - it takes talent and mastery to push Amitabh Bachchan in the sidelines. 2. Deewar - Classic Yash Chopra where the initial impression of the movie would be you watched a violent movie, but if you rewind you would find only 2 scenes with any explicit violence. The manner in which violence was the undertone of what was essentially a drama was wonderful. Too bad Yash Chopra lost it with Mohabbatein, but good that he realized and quit with Veer Zaara. Daylight 3. Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron - A study in cinema for how to make a movie to be appreciated decades later without any sellable stars. The Mahabharata scene is yet to be replicated in any of it's subtleties of humor 3 decades later. 4. Mughal-e-Azam - The classic period drama with some of the most wonderful histrionics from Dilip Kumar and Prithviraj Kapoor, in the days when histrionics wasn't a bad word. The camera angles in the scenes themselves are worth watching this movie again. 5. Paar - A friend asked me once, how can you like a movie where all they show is animals crossing a river. My answer was that it's about how they cross the river. IMO, nothing has captured the essence of rural India more realistically than this movie. 6. Avishkaar - How do you spend the last night before getting divorced? The movie is in essence a conversation between a couple about to get divorced talking about the good and bad times in a marriage over the night. Amongst romantic dramas, it is a masterpiece. 7. Omkara - Aaye aaye tere tashan! Langda tyaagi, Omkara, Kesu are just everyday characters of a western UP village brought to life in this Othello adaptation. Even the songs were adapted from the local dialect to Lucknow when the scene of the movie shifted there. Normally, once would associate an adaptation with a loose storyline, but the manner in which the original storyline was kept taut along with adding regional touched was wonderful! 8. Masoom - Delhi! That's my ringing bell for the movie, not just for the locales but the manner in which a philandering, successful Delhi businessman is portrayed through umpteen doses of reality. 9. Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa - I have seldom seen as natural characters as in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa. The last scene where Shahrukh Khan says about shooting stars, "Accha aap ne kabhi nahin dekhe, yahan to roz hi toote rehte hain" or the "Creamroll khao". If ever day to day conversations have been put better in a movie I haven't seen it. 10. Khamoshi (1969) - Waheeda Rehman's masterpiece, but much more than that. A complex romance where you crave, look for, and find, your forgotten lover in someone else only to realize that reality is different

What body movement? I'm not an SRK fan either, as my posts would prove, but what exactly is this body movement of Amir? 3 Idiots? As lame as the movie and book was, its not a benchmark to judge an actor. And don't bring up Depp's comparsion with Amir. Amir used to and still does a lot, lot more lame movies compared to a Johnny Depp. I watched Lagaan ages back and vaguely remember the scenes in it. And it surely is the most overrated movie in India.
Actor is made by the body of work he chooses.....the reason I compared aamir to Johnny depp is because,Johnny depp for all the pirate movies he does,he chooses some mind blowing Indy films as well even though I don't think he is an exceptional actor,just a very good actor that's it,but what makes him a legend is his body of work. I am not comparing depp to aamir just saying aamir is probably his indian equivalent.

^ having said that its one of my fav srk movies but there are 20 films of the top of my head better than that one which you have probably seen.
I don't even consider Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa as a Shahrukh Khan movie - it was a Kundan Shah movie. You don't consider it worthy of a top 20 number that's fine. By Shahrukh Khan films I would typically refer to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Mohabbatein types of movies. EDIT: But I would be perfectly happy replacing it with Guide in my top 10.

I don't even consider Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa as a Shahrukh Khan movie - it was a Kundan Shah movie. You don't consider it worthy of a top 20 number that's fine. By Shahrukh Khan films I would typically refer to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Mohabbatein types of movies.
Fair enough if its your personal list and I will say not a bad one.

Fair enough if its your personal list and I will say not a bad one.
There is always going to be personal bias in picking a top 10 list out of maybe 50 or so top notch Bollywood movies I've watched. I won't compromise in the top half of my choice, but on the bottom half I can very easily see how I might be biased towards a particular movie and gladly replace it with some other movie in the same ballpark.

@Outsider Mughal-e-azam and Sholay both were as OTT and caricature filled as Lagaan. I think you have a bit of biased against Lagaan, On once you are counting Sholay and Mugha-e-Azam masterpieces and then completely writing off Lagaan. All these three films were work of pure fiction and OTT acting.

@Outsider Mughal-e-azam and Sholay both were as OTT and caricature filled as Lagaan. I think you have a bit of biased against Lagaan' date=' On once you are counting Sholay and Mugha-e-Azam masterpieces and then completely writing off Lagaan. All these three films were work of pure fiction and OTT acting.[/quote'] Mughal-e-Azam was not over the top and caricature filled - that was the context of the times. Sholay was with the Jagdeep and Asraani roles but it was just so wonderfully made otherwise that for me it overrides those caricatures. Lagaan was a piece of $***** on all counts - I mean how can you even begin to consider a movie seriously where all kinds of apaahij desis defeat goras and then the gori breaks into a song and dance routine - in multiple languages - to express her love for Aamir Khan.

Actor is made by the body of work he chooses.....the reason I compared aamir to Johnny depp is because,Johnny depp for all the pirate movies he does,he chooses some mind blowing Indy films as well even though I don't think he is an exceptional actor,just a very good actor that's it,but what makes him a legend is his body of work. I am not comparing depp to aamir just saying aamir is probably his indian equivalent.
Sorry, dude. Might be a problem with me but I still don't get that part. And the best guy Amir is related to, as far the acting part is concerned, is Ray Liotta. I find Liotta better than Amir any day but if Amir comes close to anyone with his technique, then its him.