Ishwar Pandey Thread

On dead pitches pace is more important.
maybe but u have to bend your back more to get the same output, i.e bounce. On helpful pitches, hopefully they enjoy their bowling and won't lose confidence when getting whacked on a flat track. Still, its better to have these hit the deck bowlers who can get something out of the pitch than ishant, zak and mohit who did not do that much and made the pitch look flat.

If he's as accurate as shami he could be a decent bowler even at 130kph with his height and outswinger. The problem with our 130kph bowlers is that they are neither fast nor accurate. Even zaheer khan isn't accurate enough to get away with bowling at around 130 kph as we found out vs south africa.

Thanks div for providing below quote. Glad to see some of the bowlers are clearly recognizing this. Even Shami recognized need for speed and worked on it. Good luck Pandey on the 135+

The tall (6 feet 2 inches) and strapping Pandey, looks like he might well be a 140-clicks bowler, but he admits that he’s only at about “130 kph” at present. “I’m trying to increase my pace. I want to have an average of 135 kph from my current 130 kph. At higher levels, you need pace. If you bowl at 125 kph or so, you can get by with the new ball, but you won’t be as effective with the old ball. You need to be 135+.” http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-b...ey-anvil/72848

If you bowl 135k on average, try the move the ball and bowl in the right areas and have the capacity to bowl like that for extended periods of time, you will be a good bowler. Although in Indian conditions, the ball doesnt do much with the new ball and have to rely on reverse swing. Problem is many bowlers lose steam and start spraying the ball and hence lose their effectiveness. Siddle, Harris, Philander, Broad, Anderson etc. fall under this 135k category. Though Siddle, Harris are more hit the deck bowlers and try to get the ball to seam off the track while Anderson is more of a swing bowler. There are only a few bowlers in the world who are capable of bowling 145k on average throughout the day like Steyn, Morkel, Johnson etc. who are capable of doing damage even on flat tracks through pace and aggression. Also because of their pace, even if there is some swing or seam movement, its much more difficult to play.

Where did you read this ?
ToI
The 24-year-old feels he is bowling quicker than last year and he owed this to off-season training. “I have worked a lot on my fitness before the season and during the IPL. If you can swing the ball at decent pace, you can trouble any batsman. I have bowled in the range of 135 and 140km/hr last season. I can bowl faster but I want to be effective. I want to take wickets and that's my priority,” he said. Timely guidance from greats has also helped Pandey. This year, two fast bowling legends—Glenn McGrath and Alan Donald—have helped him fine tune his skills. “McGrath advised me to look after my body. Besides the importance of accuracy, he also taught me quite a few things about reverse swing. Donald too has been great to talk to. He told me that my basics are right and I need to bowl in the nets,” he said.
Guest Vinaykumar Fan

Full story: NAGPUR: On a lazy afternoon, Ishwar Pandey was busy scanning news channels hoping that his name might figure in the Indian team for the New Zealand tour. After performing consistently for the last three years for Madhya Pradesh - he picked up 103 wickets in this period - and later on for India 'A', Pandey was hoping for a national berth. It was an emotional moment for the lanky pacer and his family when they learnt that he would be on the flight to New Zealand. The Rewa lad is the latest small town talent to make it to the Indian team. "Ever since I did well for India 'A' in South Africa, I knew I would represent the country one day. To be selected for both Test and one-dayers is an awesome feeling. My parents are very happy. They have always stood by me and allowed me to chase my dreams. I want to make them proud. If I get the chance, I will give it my best shot," Pandey told TOI from Rewa on Tuesday. After emerging as the highest wicket taker in the Ranji Trophy last year, Pandey continued the good work this year too, picking up 30 wickets at an average of 24.76. "I have been bowling better than last year. I feel I understand myself better as a bowler now. Playing First Class cricket for the last four years has helped me immensely and now I have a fair idea about how to bowl on different wickets," he said. The 24-year-old feels he is bowling quicker than last year and he owed this to off-season training. "I have worked a lot on my fitness before the season and during the IPL. If you can swing the ball at decent pace, you can trouble any batsman. I have bowled in the range of 135 and 140km/hr last season. I can bowl faster but I want to be effective. I want to take wickets and that's my priority," he said. Timely guidance from greats has also helped Pandey. This year, two fast bowling legends-Glenn McGrath and Alan Donald-have helped him fine tune his skills. "McGrath advised me to look after my body. Besides the importance of accuracy, he also taught me quite a few things about reverse swing. Donald too has been great to talk to. He told me that my basics are right and I need to bowl in the nets. It's about getting guidance at the right time. I am fortunate to have the right guidance throughout my career. My childhood coach Aril Anthony trained me as a rookie. Hiru Bhai ((Narendra Hirwani), my MP coach Mukesh Sahni and (Sanjay) Jagdale Sir have also played a key role in my development as a bowler," he said

Guest Vinaykumar Fan

It s great if he is bowling around 135-140s. I would give up my hype for Vinay if ishwar bowls around that pace. Its no secret that extra pace would be more lethal.

Guest Vinaykumar Fan
but vinay kumar is vinay kumar.y u give up :((
because I think/thought that ishwar bowls as quick as vinay Kumar. What's the point in picking a bowler who bowls at the same pace? But if ishwar is bowling around 140s, I would love to support him.