Another pet peeve

Brainfade

Err ... thats the point of the nickname ... when Adam Gilchrist is batting the aussie fans chant ... "Gilly Gilly Gilly" and im sure he would enjoy that more than ... "Adam Gilchrist , Adam Gilchrist , Adam Gilchrist". Im with Yuvraj4Captaincy on this ... u are reading too much into that.

Err ... thats the point of the nickname ... when Adam Gilchrist is batting the aussie fans chant ... "Gilly Gilly Gilly" and im sure he would enjoy that more than ... "Adam Gilchrist , Adam Gilchrist , Adam Gilchrist". Im with Yuvraj4Captaincy on this ... u are reading too much into that.
It annoys me only when I see it written in article. Like some journo will say "Gilly said this and Jumbo did that ..." To me it seems pretentious - like they are trying to establish a pseudo-closeness with the player." BTW, I can see how one section of the fans can chant "ADAM" and the other goes "GILCHRIST" :D

Without nicknames then the lankan fans are screwed ... Can u imagine the fans chanting ... "Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas" or "Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene" ... not sure if these guys have nicknames anyway but my point is from a players point of view, when fans tend to refer to you by your nickname it generally indicates a strong supporter base, and , while i cant speak for everyone, if i were an international cricketer, i would like people referring to me by my nickname.