Australia in India 2013-14

saneindian

Indians set to face more chin-music

Australian all-rounder, Glenn Maxwell has issued a warning to the Indian batsmen to be prepared to face some more chin-music from the visitor's faster bowlers during the 4th ODI in Ranchi on Wednesday. The visitors have adopted a strategy of intimidating the famed Indian batting line-up with short-pitched stuff, a ploy successfully implemented by Mitchell Johnson with the full support of his skipper, George Bailey, during the 2nd ODI in Pune. "I think the short ball has probably been our best strategy so far. I don't think we're going to change our strategy too much. We thought we bowled pretty well (in the last match)," Maxwell told reporters in Ranchi. Australia again had the hosts in trouble with some hostile fast and short-pitch bowling in Jaipur before M S Dhoni came up with a magnificent counter-attacking century. "Unfortunately, MS Dhoni went off at the end and played brilliantly. I thought we bowled really well in the last game. It felt like we sorted out a few of their batsmen. Hopefully they've got a few worries in their camp. We're feeling pretty good at the moment," added Maxwell. He added that they had specific plans for the Indian skipper which didn't quite materialize in Jaipur. "I think we had pretty good plans to him in the last game, though a couple of things didn't quite go to plan. I think we dropped a catch, one ball that just cleared mid-off." "If we take those chances, I think we're chasing 260-270 and we finish that game a lot earlier. I felt like our plans were very good. We shut him down early. We made him face a lot of dot balls at the start of the innings. Hopefully we get a little bit more assistance with the ball here and some spin as well, we can really put a lot of pressure on him." Maxwell stated that it would be important for his team to see off Dhoni early in Ranchi as he would have the home support of thousands of vociferous fans. "It's going to be very loud. The crowd is going to love it when MS comes out and tries to do his thing again. Hopefully, we can shut that down and keep the crowd as quiet as possible," he said. Maxwell has come up with a few cameos in the series and attributed his success to the A series in South Africa. "I think playing in South Africa for the A series helped my game a lot. The wickets were pretty favourable for batting so it was good to spend a bit of time in the middle. Over the last couple of years I haven't really spent a whole lot of time in the middle." "It was nice to work on my batting over there for an extended period of time. It ended up working pretty well for me because that led me straight back to England and then the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20). I felt like I've been in good form for the past six or seven months. Hopefully that continues," he added. Maxwell was not worried that none of his teammates have registered a ton in the series thus far. "No one made a century even in the game we had scored 359 but we had our top-five make fifties and that's the first time in cricket history. I think it just shows how well the team is playing as a whole. Even though no one has got a hundred yet everyone has played pretty well." "The guys obviously want to post three figures, but even if they're not and we're getting the job done I think we're very happy with the way we're going." A number of Australian players got some invaluable experience of conditions and crowds in India having competed in the IPL and the CLT20 at various venues in the country. "We're very lucky that we've got the opportunity to play in the IPL and the CLT20 where you get used to these crowds. When you come over here you're not overawed by it. It's just another day at the office. It's very enjoyable playing in front of the big crowds in India," quoted Maxwell.
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/59168/indians-set-to-face-more-chin-music/?utm_source=ig&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=gadget

The death of the yorker?

MS Dhoni's lament about the quality of death bowling after Ishant Sharma's latest meltdown highlights a trend in modern cricket that is difficult to comprehend - the complete inability to bowl yorkers under pressure. Perhaps Ishant was given instructions not to bowl yorkers. Whatever the reason, that performance was pathetic, made less so only by similar poor bowling throughout the world in similar circumstances by bowlers from all countries. Contemporary cricket abounds with bowling coaches and technical analysis by video that is meant to enhance skills. Apart from the spinners' ability to bowl doosras, I fail to see how the standard of bowling has improved that much in the last few decades, despite all the technological and physiological advances. Even allowing for the scoop (ramp) shot to full-pitched deliveries and heavier bats on smaller grounds, I'm not convinced that the modern international fast bowler holds a candle to the quicks of say 20 or 30 years ago. Perhaps there are just so many of them these days that it is unfair to compare them to the smaller list of elite fast bowlers of yesteryear. It is entirely another story as to why there are so many mediocre quicks playing international cricket but that may in part be due to the injury toll (despite sports science advances) and the plethora of cricket, much of it meaningless, played today and forgotten tomorrow. To call them "mediocre" is indeed harsh but how else can you describe the rubbish that we've seen recently, not just in this series between Australia and India but regularly over the last few years? Yes, the batting is more innovative and cricket bats are more powerful but a waist-high full toss under pressure is still putrid execution of a basic skill at an elite level. Unless of course that was the plan from the brains trust in the dressing room, in which case, their skill set (and sanity) must surely be reviewed. Mediocre. Putrid. Rubbish. How else can one describe those length balls from Ishant, ball after ball, each of them disappearing in the same direction? I've only seen James Faulkner bat a few times and I could have told you, without any expert video analysis, that he favours the length ball over midwicket. Or for that matter the full toss. Who wouldn't? Faulkner did similar damage to Ben Cutting last season in a domestic one-day match in Hobart. It's not rocket science to ask Ishant to bowl in a different hitting zone. We don't yet know if he was merely executing a plan (unlikely) or unable to execute a fairly basic skill for someone whose sole occupation is to practise these skills under pressure, 24/7, 365. Even allowing for the ramp over fine leg, surely yorkers delivered consistently with the appropriate field set are not going to finish up going for multiple sixes. Joel Garner was admittedly the doyen of executing this delivery but even lesser mortals of that broad era were able to consistently land balls in the blockhole at decent pace, with all the disadvantages that accrued to them before the game was truly professional (in a medical, technological, over-coached, over-analysed sense). I recall bowlers like Simon Davis (Australia, circa mid-1980s) and even slower bowlers like Chaminda Vaas being able to land yorkers more consistently without them finishing up waist high and ripe for row 24 in slog corner. Sometimes sport can become too complicated, even as it becomes more skilful in some respects. Clearly batting skills have risen to new heights, not just in terms of innovation, power and execution but more revealingly, the sheer courage and audacity to contemplate scoring 20-plus runs per over under pressure. Contemplation alone is one thing - actually executing it is another thing altogether. That is one aspect of the game that has improved dramatically. Mind you, waist-high full tosses and predictable half-volleys don't require that much skill but they still require the batsman to continue to nail his hitting zone, ball after ball. It appears that the modern game has equipped batsmen with the requisite mental skills but the bowlers seem to have regressed to the point where in the future, an asking rate of 15-plus runs per over in the last few overs of an ODI will see the batting side favoured to win. It used to be the case that when the run rate got past a run a ball, Richie Benaud would solemnly proclaim the death of the chase. Having seen the quality of bowling in the last few games, Richie himself would probably have bowled better, even at the ripe old age of 83. And he wouldn't have needed a bowling coach or video analyst to tell him where not to bowl.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/681137.html

Not seen a single good yorker in this series from Indian bowlers which tells you how bad the bowling has been from India. I would excuse if they bowl well and still get but bowling bad, waist high full tosses, long hops, etc. which is what making this series batting friendly.

For all that bravado' date=' they have still conceded 300+ twice and lost a match conceding 360 in 44 overs! They are not leading 4-0 or something in the series, its still 2-1 only. And going by the trend of teams winning alternate matches, its our turn for a win now.[/quote'] only if we win the toss and field first.
For all that bravado' date=' they have still conceded 300+ twice and lost a match conceding 360 in 44 overs! They are not leading 4-0 or something in the series, its still 2-1 only. And going by the trend of teams winning alternate matches, its our turn for a win now.[/quote'] Only if they had a few more Johnsons in their attack.

They would give excuses that in modern era batsmen can hit sixers from Yorker length. But we know the real reason that these lazy bums don't want to put in the hard work. I think venkatesh Prasad played a big role in corrupting their minds. He was in many Ipl teams as a bowling coach. It's my guess though.

It is a very good decision!! Sanity needs to prevail rather than knee jerk reactions. Dropping the likes of Ishant and VK now is letting them of too easy!! Its a lot lot harder trying to comeback and prove oneself after such a hammering. Rest assured Shami and Unadkat will be taken to the cleaners as well by the Oz squad. Why should the onus of taking on a very good Oz one day side on flat pitches rest on inexperienced shoulders. We do not have half decent pacemen at the moment. After BK the next best thing we have is an almost retired Zak who may or may not have a medical emergency at any given moment. Yadav who has everything going for him has brain tumor, I cant find any other reason for him bowling the way he did in his last few India games!! Rather than sitting at home after being dropped, Ishant and VK have to comeback and prove themselves, if they cant no one has any excuses left, not them two, not the selectors nor Dhoni/Fletcher. Resting them now means the 'senior pacers' can rest at home and watch a crop of inexperienced trundlers get hit around the park. If they cant comeback now then India's fast bowling manual needs a fresh new sheet. Or what will happen is a few new trundlers will be taken to the slaughter house and the same 'senior' culprits will make a comeback the next series.
We are discussing Indian Cricket , not astrology ..or you also had a seer's dream of seeing Shami & Unadkat taken to cleaners in last over .. This is one of the most ridiculous astrological predictions I had heard ..not giving a chance to a youngster by just assuming that he will be at par or worst than these jokers ..:hysterical: This same logic was used to deny Pervez Rasool an opportunity in a dead rubber match against Zim recently . The reason was if he performed , Chennai Superking R.Ashwin's position would have been threatened .. FYI .. I saw Unadkat defend 13-14 runs in last over against DD at Kotla live in the Ferozshah Kotla by bowling fullpitch yorker length deliveries to Irfan PAthan and Ben Rohrer this May'2013 ..I am sure he defintiely is better than these two jokers Ishant and Vinay .. :whack:
They would give excuses that in modern era batsmen can hit sixers from Yorker length. But we know the real reason that these lazy bums don't want to put in the hard work. I think venkatesh Prasad played a big role in corrupting their minds. He was in many Ipl teams as a bowling coach. It's my guess though.
:hysterical::hysterical: what? Venky was one of the best bowling coaches india had and during his time we had plans.We used to employ tactics like bowling crossbeam on indian pitches to get reverse swing .We used to have plans like 8-1 offside field or bowling cutters like in bangalore test.He made ishant dharma he corrected his seam position and taught him the slower ball,R.p singh improved under him and even sreesanth was best under him.Yes he favours line and length but thats what most tell u.
:hysterical::hysterical: what? Venky was one of the best bowling coaches india had and during his time we had plans.We used to employ tactics like bowling crossbeam on indian pitches to get reverse swing .We used to have plans like 8-1 offside field or bowling cutters like in bangalore test.He made ishant dharma he corrected his seam position and taught him the slower ball' date=R.p singh improved under him and even sreesanth was best under him.Yes he favours line and length but thats what most tell u.
what?:hysterical::hysterical: venky never used to bowl Yorkers and he was the first one to come up bowling slower bouncers :hysterical: instead of bowling Yorkers. He can teach what he believed is good and bowling slower and slower (not that he was fast even when he tried) to avoid getting hit by batsmen. Nobody improved him being a bowling coach. Ishanth started bowling badly when he was the bowling coach. If he was any good, he would not have been booted out as a bowling coach.
what?:hysterical::hysterical: venky never used to bowl Yorkers and he was the first one to come up bowling slower bouncers :hysterical: instead of bowling Yorkers. He can teach what he believed is good and bowling slower and slower (not that he was fast even when he tried) to avoid getting hit by batsmen. Nobody improved him being a bowling coach. Ishanth started bowling badly when he was the bowling coach. If he was any good' date= he would not have been booted out as a bowling coach.
He did bowl yorkers and Shaun Pollock was the first one to bowl a slower ball bouncer - IPL 2008. But sure, don't let facts come in your way of dishing BS.