Supreme Court pronounces gay sex illegal

Stuge

One more chaddi thekedar :facepalm:

Homosexuality an imported disease, needs treatment, says VHP New Delhi: Terming as "historic" the Supreme Court decision upholding legal provision against same sex relations, VHP on Monday said homosexuality was an "imported disease" which needed treatment. In a memorandum to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vishwa Hindu Parishad said the government should treat the spread of the "imported disease" by putting a complete ban on liquor and making moral education mandatory. Ridiculing the widespread criticism of the apex court order which had struck down a Delhi High Court order decriminalising gay sex, the right-wing organisation said homosexuality was "against Indian culture and values". Homosexuality an imported disease, needs treatment, says VHP VHP said the government should treat the spread of the "imported disease" by putting a complete ban on liquor, making moral education mandatory. BJP has also favoured the verdict upholding Section 377 of the IPC, saying it would not support any "unnatural act". The Supreme Court had last week set aside the landmark High Court judgement decriminalising gay sex and threw the ball in Parliament's court for amending law. The High Court decision four years ago to decriminalise gay sex emboldened the still largely closeted homosexual community which has since campaigned publicly against widespread discrimination and ignorance.

Not really. I have had close friends who were gay and it didn't make any difference in our friendship. Only a few close people knew he was gay because he wanted his private thing to be private. Just like any of us who want to keep our private life ours. I completely respect him for that.
Every one keeps their private thing private...but it is sad that they are forced to because the law makes it a criminal offense.How would we feel if we had to all pretend we all don't have sex and all are babies are thanks to baba ji ka prasad .......otherwise we could go to jail as sex between heterosexuals is criminal.It is just so sad.

Relationships are not only about sex. They are an emotional connection, enjoy legal recognition, social standing etc. By saying that no one is prosecuted under section 377 is meaningless because they confine a homosexual relationship to only to sex. Decriminalization is only the first step because only then would gay couples can start to get equal rights like legal registration of marriage, adoption etc. Decriminalization also helps to remove the stigma around homosexuality, and allows gay people to have socially recognized relationships as well.

Relationships are not only about sex. They are an emotional connection, enjoy legal recognition, social standing etc. By saying that no one is prosecuted under section 377 is meaningless because they confine a homosexual relationship to only to sex. Decriminalization is only the first step because only then would gay couples can start to get equal rights like legal registration of marriage, adoption etc. Decriminalization also helps to remove the stigma around homosexuality, and allows gay people to have socially recognized relationships as well.
+1. Every one should have the right to love someone and declare them as their partners and set up home with them...plan a future together.

I have my complete agreement on decriminalization of gay sex or whatever kind of sex between two consented individuals , I am not so sure about the legalization of gay marriages or same sex marriages. There are clearly two schools of thought. One which says homosexuality is completely natural and a variation of sexual function whereas other considers this as mental state ( vikruthi ) , and one can change one's sexuality with the help of therapies. It is very much necessary that we need to have our own study on this topic , rather than influenced by western literature. It is all the more important when you consider many gay men are bisexuals too and have their own family.

I have my complete agreement on decriminalization of gay sex or whatever kind of sex between two consented individuals , I am not so sure about the legalization of gay marriages or same sex marriages. There are clearly two schools of thought. One which says homosexuality is completely natural and a variation of sexual function whereas other considers this as mental state ( vikruthi ) , and one can change one's sexuality with the help of therapies. It is very much necessary that we need to have our own study on this topic , rather than influenced by western literature. It is all the more important when you consider many gay men are bisexuals too and have their own family.
That is a bi-product of the nonacceptance of homosexuality by society. If they were not forced into marrying because of social pressure ...this problem wouldn't arise.The true bisexuals are just wanting it all......

^ People can argue all they want , but right now our society is not ready for this and there are far bigger problems which people need to solve first. As long as LGBT's are not prosecuted under this law they have to manage themeslevs.

The second school of thought is plain wrong. How can homosexuality be unnatural when it is widely observed in the animal kingdom. The therapists you mention are unbelievably cruel to lgbts and there have been instances of using shock therapy to "cure" them.

^ People can argue all they want , but right now our society is not ready for this and there are far bigger problems which people need to solve first. As long as LGBT's are not prosecuted under this law they have to manage themeslevs.
It is not about persecution , it is more about not treating people as criminals for their sexuality , either it is natural or acquired. For the arguments sake, even if we consider homosexuality is acquired mental state, a civil society should not treat them as criminals and they need more compassion from so called normal people. Its not like criminalizing will reduce homosexuality. On the other hand if we assume homosexuality is natural trait, this law is all the more barbaric.

How can anything be bigger than the basic right of a human being to love and be loved? It is the most basic human need like need for food and water. It is much bigger than the right to vote or right to property or even the right to an honest govt.

^ I am not talking about right vote kind things. There are people who still struggling to meet ends , numerous useless rituals in various religions, too much corruptions,rape cases etc.. lot of things even kills people , let us solve them first, then we can try to solve Gay issues.

That's the crux - good post. That and the fact that what the majority wants should mean jack as far as human rights are concerned.

The second school of thought is plain wrong. How can homosexuality be unnatural when it is widely observed in the animal kingdom. The therapists you mention are unbelievably cruel to lgbts and there have been instances of using shock therapy to "cure" them.
Well..Shock therapy or so called ECT is one of the most cruel treatment used by psychiatry when it doesn't cure anything rather it kills some brain cells so that one will forget about everything , albeit temporarily. But you can't be so sure about homosexuality is natural , I have read instances where a man or a woman has changed from homosexuality to heterosexuality in their course of time..Question is not about how others can change sexuality of a homosexual through some kind of therapies, but can one change the sexuality with his/her own effort?