Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

She did not even have to go to trial - she could have accepted a misdemeanor charge which was offered to her with no jail time. She could have continued living with her kids there. My respect for her has grown since she reportedly rejected any plea deal with the result that she is separated from her kids. She held firm for her country. Devyani has already filed a motion to dismiss the charges all together. Of course, she is an employee of the government of India which in its wisdom moved her to the UN mission. After her accreditation there she was entitled to immunity which the government did not waive. It is the US which then asked her to leave the country. Also, the US violated the VCCR in effecting her arrest and strip search. Thus, the whole process of prosecution was illegitimate and malafide.

Untill then ' date=' I am gonna tilt towards the version that [i']wo kutiya apne umreekan pati aur pillon se exploit karwane ke liye India se maid le gayi. Phir action ke signals milne pe yahan ke courts aur govt. ko involve kiya, bina jurisdiction ke Delhi HC se orders pass karwae. phir justifiably arrest hone pe India ki janta se apne selfish interests ke liye nationalist aur emotional reaction draw karwaya Not worthy of representing India , not worthy of sympathy and precious time of seedhi n others.
I am unlikely to see any. Why? Because while getting an injunction against Richards in the Delhi HC, Devyani has not submitted the documents relating to 4500US$ as payment. Bharara has a near 100% record of conviction. In any case, Devyani should be probed in Adarsh scam etc. right here in India. It appears she has falsified information for the Adarsh flat. The Adarsh report by JA Patil judicial commission says that she paid 1.1Cr for the flat. http://mea.gov.in/Portal/IRPDocuments/626_2012_Immovable_Property_.pdf

http://www.firstpost.com/india/devyani-khobragade-returns-to-mumbai-rpi-activists-receive-her-1339539.html
Mumbai: Senior diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who returned to India last week after being indicted for visa fraud in the United States, arrived in Mumbai today. "I am thankful to my city Mumbai for the love and support," Devyani told reporters at the airport with folded hands. Devyani was granted full diplomatic immunity and returned to India on the day a jury indicted her for visa fraud in the United States. She has not been given a posting so far. Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/devyani-khobragade-returns-to-mumbai-rpi-activists-receive-her-1339539.html?utm_source=ref_article
2EK_tfsp6p8 The caste/sub-caste has it's own party (probably even b4 she became infamous): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_of_India_%28Khobragade%29

She did not even have to go to trial - she could have accepted a misdemeanor charge which was offered to her with no jail time. She could have continued living with her kids there. My respect for her has grown since she reportedly rejected any plea deal with the result that she is separated from her kids. She held firm for her country. Devyani has already filed a motion to dismiss the charges all together. Of course, she is an employee of the government of India which in its wisdom moved her to the UN mission. After her accreditation there she was entitled to immunity which the government did not waive. It is the US which then asked her to leave the country. Also, the US violated the VCCR in effecting her arrest and strip search. Thus, the whole process of prosecution was illegitimate and malafide.
She probably has very little say in it. She might have been forced by GOI/MEA to not take the plea-deal, as it is a embarrassment to the MEA to be dragged into this public spat. If she was that patriotic, she wouldn't have committed this crime and also in Adarsh flat scheme as well.

She held firm for the her country. --- seedhi
This has to be the quote of the week. This woman and her behavior has been nothing but an embarrassment for her country. BTW, she is separated from her kids for all of one month while she is exploring political options and attending rallies.

Yes' date=' the prosecution has to prove it in court. Here, the government believes her (maid). It was the prosecution had to make arguments, show evidence to prove the indictment. DK, who had to prove it otherwise to go free.[/quote'] Devyani said she will pay 4500US$ and US prosecutors say otherwise by showing electronic receipts of Richards' bank account. Now, Devyani has to prove that she has paid the entire 4500US$.

I wanna call her that ONLY for the reaction she has drawn from Indian public. Rest of her conduct is bad and worthy of arrest' date=' but I wont call her a [i']kutiya(a *****) for that...
What do you mean she drew a reaction? Indian reaction was absolutely necessary after they escalated the situation by humiliating her, by bringing in human trafficking charges and by evacuating people from india disregarding indian court orders. The reaction was not because of her idiot father or devyani the individual. They could have at the most sent her out of the country. What do you think we should have done? say yes master, roll over and play dead.

Devyani said she will pay 4500US$ and US prosecutors say otherwise by showing electronic receipts of Richards' bank account. Now' date=' Devyani has to prove that she has paid the entire 4500US$.[/quote']Where did Devyani say she will pay $4500 ? In the indictment that moron Bharara claims that it was entered in the DS-160 form for the maid, but Bharara's office has not provided any copy of the DS-160 in the exhibits submitted along with the indictment. This claim of $4500 is an empty allegation with absolutely no document (copy of DS-160) produced to back it up. At least I could not find it in the exhibits.

Where did Devyani say she will pay $4500 ? In the indictment that moron Bharara claims that it was entered in the DS-160 form for the maid' date=' [b']but Bharara's office has not provided any copy of the DS-160 in the exhibits submitted along with the indictment. This claim of $4500 is an empty allegation with absolutely no document (copy of DS-160) produced to back it up. At least I could not find it in the exhibits.
May be 4500US$ is an "empty allegation" and lets go on the exhibits mentioned in the indictment. Exhibit E mentions Devyani signing a contract with Richards clearly mentioning she would pay 9.75$/hour for 40 hours/week. 1 month ~ 4.3 weeks and 1 week = 7 days. 9.75*40*4.3 = 1677 US$ (minimum because I am unsure if the week should be counted 40 or 56 since wages are counted for weekends too). Anyways, that makes it 1000US$+ short at least. All of this doesn't include overtime which will shoot up. Considering that you read the indictment, I am sure you would have noticed these things. You could've done the same calculations like I did and corrected the figure. I am not Bharara and you are not Khobgrade - please post the information as you see it.

What do you mean she drew a reaction? Indian reaction was absolutely necessary after they escalated the situation by humiliating her, by bringing in human trafficking charges and by evacuating people from india disregarding indian court orders. The reaction was not because of her idiot father or devyani the individual. They could have at the most sent her out of the country. What do you think we should have done? say yes master, roll over and play dead.
it was a case of marti kya na karti for her in the end. She should hv come back to india much before any possibility of arrest but didn't do so bcoz of her US family

Devyani row: UN backs India's position NEW DELHI: The United Nations has endorsed Delhi's claim that its foreign service officer, Devyani Khobragade, enjoyed full diplomatic immunity when she was arrested on charges of visa fraud in New York on December 12. The opinion of the UN Office of Legal Affairs ( UNOLA) that Khobragade enjoyed immunity by virtue of her accreditation to the UN as an adviser between August and December 2013 strengthens India's demand for dropping of all charges against her. Khobragade was accredited as adviser to India's Permanent Mission to the UN on August 26 last year. The accreditation was valid until December 31. This was simultaneous to her position as India's deputy consul general in New York. Stephen Mathias, UN assistant secretary general for legal affairs, had in a January 27 letter to India's deputy permanent representative to the UN said that all representatives "to the principal and subsidiary organs of the United Nations to conferences convened by the United Nations, while exercising their functions and during their journey to and from the place of meeting, enjoy the privileges and immunities set forth in Section 11 of the General Convention". Section 11 of the General Convention states that representatives of UN members will enjoy "immunities from personal arrest or detention, and from the seizure of their personal baggage". Section 16 says that the "representatives" of a country should include all delegates, deputy delegates, advisors, technical experts and secretaries of the delegations. Delhi has all along maintained that the accreditation entitled Khobragade to immunity not only from arrest but also from criminal prosecution. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/devyani-row-un-backs-indias-position/articleshow/30245039.cms