We'll win Tests 4-0, says unrepentant Sreesanth

fineleg

shantha_wideweb__470x266,0.jpg Better late than .. . Shantha Sreesanth celebrates his dismissal of Andrew Symonds in Cochin - after the Australian had scored 87. Photo: AP SHANTHA Sreesanth was violently dispatched by Andrew Symonds, and the pair crossed paths in the middle of the Nagpur pitch. This was it, you thought. Nitroglycerine meets egg whisk. All the yogis, negotiators and bomb-techs in the world weren't about to defuse this internecine showdown at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground last week. Assume the brace position. But something unusual happened; something that seemed an impossibility earlier this series, when the pair tangled in Bangalore and Cochin. At the very moment the detonation switch might have been flicked, Sreesanth grinned, turned and walked away. The Nagpur crowd might well have scanned the area for further signs that the apocalypse was nigh, but no. That was it. Sreesanth returned to the crease and normal programming resumed. Discussing the confrontation, or lack thereof, afterwards, Sreesanth revealed a hidden agenda. As tempted as he was to remonstrate with his old sparring partner, the colourful paceman was well aware of the thin ice on which he trod. His shoulder charge of Michael Vaughan last English summer, coupled with his excessive appeal on his dismissal of Matthew Hayden at the Twenty20 World Cup, resulted in two official warnings. One more will likely result in a ban. And Sreesanth is on a promise. "My goal for this year is to be in the Boxing Day Test," Sreesanth said. "My dad, my brother and my first coach, all three are coming to watch the game. They made me promise that I would have to be in the XI. So every match, every over is important for me at the moment. Don't mistake me. I'm not taking any aggression away. I love this game, and I want to give my very best, and when I give my very best you will see Sreesanth. "It's just a couple of things I have to control, because I don't want to miss any games right now. I am still learning what is the limit and how far I can push. I am getting there. I will still be Sreesanth, because that brings out the best in me." Whether Sreesanth stays true to his word remains to be seen but, taken on face value, his comments are intriguing. In a series that will be as much remembered for the mad blood stirring as the brilliant cricket played, Sreesanth believes he has happened across a formula for on-field serenity. "I used to come out and say, 'I hate this guy'," he said. "But I didn't really hate him, and that's what I am learning. I love this game and I love to help my teammates and my country. I don't want to get into any trouble, as I used to." Sreesanth will need to conjure every ounce of that inner tranquillity to deal with an Australian crowd that, history suggests, tends to target the more demonstrative members of touring squads. Assuming he makes the Indian squad for the four-Test series, beginning at the MCG on Boxing Day, the Kerala paceman can expect a testing summer, much like that encountered by South Africa's Andre Nel two seasons back. Sreesanth, though, doesn't seem overly perturbed by the situation. A keen student of the Australian game, not least the writings of Steve Waugh, the right-arm paceman is eager to discover exactly what it is about the wide brown land that produces such consistent and talented cricketers. "I am actually waiting for this series to finish so I can have the chance to talk to Brett Lee and even to Symonds and Hayden to learn more about the game," he said. "They have been playing for so many years. I don't regret anything, but it's been two years since I have been playing and it's high time that I help the team win. "When I come to Australia I should be concentrating on my game, rather than what other people are saying. If someone criticises you … you should try to take it in the right spirit and try to show Australians that we are good enough to beat any side. As Steve Waugh said in his book, it's always nice to prove other people wrong. That's what I am looking forward to. "My brother always sends me articles, and I saw something about me being described as Australia's most wanted. That's OK. In South Africa [the crowd reaction] was very bad to start with, but it always forces you to do better." Don't mistake Sreesanth's conciliatory tone with resignation, however. Not only does the 24-year-old believe his side can win the four-Test series in Australia, but can do so 4-0. And he is not without evidence to support his claim. Since India's last tour to Australia in 2003-04, the side has won six of eight away Test series. "After you play Australia, you always improve for the next series," he said. "Obviously you guys are much further ahead, but everyone is catching up. It is a matter time we'll be up there and hopefully beating you at home." This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/10/19/1192301041830.html
Why th fck does the foreign media keep calling him Shantha Sreesanth ?
I've actually always wondered why he is only called Sreesanth. I remember something about him saying at a press conference that he was to be referred to as simply "Sreesanth" but why? EDIT: Did a wiki query on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanthakumaran_Sreesanth#Name That's clears it up slightly. But was his name originally shanthakumaran sreesanth and it was changed or did that never exist.

Good on him to think India can beat Aussies 4-0. That is the kind of confidence you need to have to excel in international cricket. It is called positive attitude and I hope every player that goes to Australia thinks similarly. Whether that happens or not is secondary but you have to think you are game in every game you play. I see no problem with Sreesanth hoping to win the test series 4-0.

Not only does the 24-year-old believe his side can win the four-Test series in Australia, but can do so 4-0. And he is not without evidence to support his claim. This could have been made up, but we dont know that. The title of the thread is the title of the article as published.

Sreesanth should first cement his place in the test-team. His last test series against England was a massive disappointment , while Zaheer and RPS impressed well. If we are to do well in Aus , all of Zaheer , Sree and RPS must bowl at their best, along with Kumble.

Press: "Do you think India can win against Australia in Australia?" "Yes" (imagine the headlines if there's a no.) "Do you think India is capable of winning consistently - maybe even every test - in Australia?" "Yes" (imagine the headlines if there's a no.) next headline: SREESANTH SAYS INDIA CAN WIN 4-0...

Press: "Do you think India can win against Australia in Australia?" "Yes" (imagine the headlines if there's a no.) "Do you think India is capable of winning consistently - maybe even every test - in Australia?" "Yes" (imagine the headlines if there's a no.) next headline: SREESANTH SAYS INDIA CAN WIN 4-0...
:hysterical:

well it could have been worse... he could have been misquoted (dont know the word for quoting someone on words he did not utter... oh just got it: hyperbole) to project a 5-0 victory. the additional test coming from a token victory awarded by ponting and symonds after the atomic wedgie they are handed.