Hayden opposes zero tolerance on drugs

Feed

Matthew Hayden has urged Cricket Australia not to adopt a zero-tolerance approach on drugs because he believes the issue needs flexibility. More... spacer.gif 'Two strikes' give players chance for rehabilitation Hayden opposes zero tolerance on drugs Cricinfo staff October 24, 2007 spacer.gif Matthew Hayden: "It is a debate on a human life. I don't think zero tolerance is the way to go" Matthew Hayden has urged Cricket Australia not to adopt a zero-tolerance approach on drugs because he believes the issue needs flexibility. The board is set to announce a new policy and Hayden, who is strongly opposed to drugs in sport, would welcome a "two strikes" rule that would give players one chance at rehabilitation. "I don't think you can have a zero-tolerance policy on drugs because it's not as black and white as that,'' Hayden told the Daily Telegraph. "For example, what sort of drugs? Shane Warne was hit with a drugs charge but it was nothing more than a diuretic. Is that the same as Shoaib Ahktar getting caught out with steroids in his system? "There has to be flexibility. When drugs stuff goes public, like Shane went public, he is considered a drug cheat. It is a debate on a human life. I don't think zero tolerance is the way to go. "The No. 1 aim is to eliminate drugs within any sporting code. As a part of that you have to look at the individual and help them become rehabilitated the most effective and the quickest possible way.''

On diuretics vs. drugs I would like to draw a little analogy. New Jersey Turnpike charges toll and on losing your ticket you have to pay the maximum toll applicable on the Turnpike. Well, the unfortunate incident happened to me and where I was supposed to be paying a $1 toll from my place to Newark airport, I ended up paying $7.

Many players have been banned for drug-abuse only to be absolved later on, which shows how much room for fine-tuning there is in the system. Greg Rusedski was banned for Nandrolone abuse in 2004 , but was cleared of the charges in that very same year. The human body and its behavioral patterns havent been fully understood by anyone to pronounce definitive judgments based on hormone levels.

On diuretics vs. drugs I would like to draw a little analogy. New Jersey Turnpike charges toll and on losing your ticket you have to pay the maximum toll applicable on the Turnpike. Well' date=' the unfortunate incident happened to me and where I was supposed to be paying a $1 toll from my place to Newark airport, I ended up paying $7.[/quote'] Moral of the story: Use Laguardia instead (unless you're flying trans-continental!) :D

Can't disagree with that. Drugs/steroids have become a favorite whipping boy. Few people realize that it is very easy to have some account of drugs even in the over the top supplement that you get. And by supplements I mean protein powders, multi-vitamins and the likes. Heck in USA, and Europe, you can walk to a Supplement store and get Testosterone 100% legally. So why should an athlete suffer when he has done nothing illegal within the laws of the land? The zero-tolerance thingy is specially bad for seniors like Hayden. If he gets penalised and loses say even a year or two, doesnt it effectively put curtains on his career considering he is 36?? Plus once he gets back he comes across as "tainted". This issue has to be deliberated seriously but I dont have much hope from ICC. xxx

hey man, can u tell me far is laguardia from jfk by taxi and how much time do u think it will take between 530 and 6:30 pm on a fri evening.. have a connecting flight so hafta travel between jfk and laguardia...time is a issue.
Takes anywhere between 15 to 45 mts depending on the traffic and time of the day. Fri Evening is busiest, it should be on the higher side. There is inter-airport shuttle one can take now, paying much less than a taxi.
Takes anywhere between 15 to 45 mts depending on the traffic and time of the day. Fri Evening is busiest' date=' it should be on the higher side. There is inter-airport shuttle one can take now, paying much less than a taxi.[/quote'] Can't take the shuttle. I have already booked my ticket and I arrive at 4:50 pm at jfk and fly outaa la guardia at 7:20 pm on fri evenin so hafta take a taxi if i am to hve any chance of making it there...if i miss it , i guess i will be spending the nite at the airport. wutcha reckon? do i hve nuff time for connection...2.5 hrs? lets say if the plane arrive on tiem at 4:50 pm..by the time i clear custom n get my baggage n get out n stuff it will be 5:45..take a taxi...get to la guardia t 6:40..then rush to the desk n hopefully they will make me bypass the line..... and wut the taxi fare be like 4 dat trip if u know?
Can't take the shuttle. I have already booked my ticket and I arrive at 4:50 pm at jfk and fly outaa la guardia at 7:20 pm on fri evenin so hafta take a taxi if i am to hve any chance of making it there...if i miss it , i guess i will be spending the nite at the airport. wutcha reckon? do i hve nuff time for connection...2.5 hrs? lets say if the plane arrive on tiem at 4:50 pm..by the time i clear custom n get my baggage n get out n stuff it will be 5:45..take a taxi...get to la guardia t 6:40..then rush to the desk n hopefully they will make me bypass the line..... and wut the taxi fare be like 4 dat trip if u know?
As I said, it could be tight in the worst case. If you take 30 mts in the taxi, you should make it in time. Get a taxi, it should not cost much anywhere around < 25 $s.